Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rattling hinges on boot glass

fordulike

Basically, after trying all the online methods to find a rattle from the boot area of the car, I think I've pinpointed it to the boot hinges.

Just wondered if anyone else out there has had and cured this problem, maybe without needing to replace the hinges?

Also, any idea if this might be covered by the Toyota Relax warranty, which I have. Got a feeling they will quote wear and tear, even though I've used the boot access only about 30 times during its lifetime 😂

Its a mk2 aygo I've got, but I always need to spray my boot hinges with WD40 every so often because they make a creaking noise. Maybe try that, it may stop the rattling?

55 minutes ago, Wiz201 said:

Its a mk2 aygo I've got, but I always need to spray my boot hinges with WD40 every so often because they make a creaking noise. Maybe try that, it may stop the rattling?

Good idea to spray the boot hinges, doors as well and bonnet latch mechanism, but use lithium spray instead of WD40 which dries out.

Thanks for the replies. I had coated the hinges in silicone grease many years ago and it's still nicely coating the hinges. As I say, I very rarely open the boot, so I'm a bit dubious about it being worn hinges.

Anyhow, after a bit more wiggling and jiggling, I think it may be where the hinge is attached to the glass with the single bolt. I'm going to whip my toolbox out tomorrow and see if the bolts on both sides will tighten up.

Well, it's not any of the bolts which attach the hinge to the glass or the body. The hatch strut does have rattly movement when in the closed position. So next job will be to whip that off, drive with it removed and see if it's that making the rattle sounds.

Hopefully, not gonna get too obsessed with this like @SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS, no offence 😁