Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Corolla for USA

Trewithy

The following article has details of a new Corolla Cross for the USA.  I don't know if it is just for the USA or will become Worldwide.

Toyota Brings 2022 Corolla Cross To U.S. To Slot Between The C-HR And RAV4, Hybrid To Follow (Live Pics) | Carscoops

I can't see a market for it in the UK as it's in between the Yaris Cross and the C-HR, the EU and UK already have the Corolla Trek

edit. The Corolla Cross is available across Asia

USA is a very different market so i don't personally use them as a gauge/thermometer to what's coming over in the UK.  I mean it is interesting but that's as far as it goes.

I pay more attention to what's coming in Europe (despite some trim differences).

• Like 1

The Corolla Cross was introduced in 2020 for Asian markets. Currently built in Thailand, Taiwan and, for South America, Brazil.

Production for the US market will start in December at the Toyota/Mazda plant in Alabama.

I think the Corolla Trek is a stop gap, and will go with the introduction of the Cross and possibly revised C-HR (which will be 6 years old in 2022) for Europe. The Cross is larger and more practical than the C-HR, though based on the same wheelbase.

Rather than having separate models for Europe, the US, etc, Toyota seem to be pursuing more of a global range, which reduces costs, etc.

It also follows the theme started by the Yaris Cross. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The Corolla Cross was introduced in 2020 for Asian markets. Currently built in Thailand, Taiwan and, for South America, Brazil.

Production for the US market will start in December at the Toyota/Mazda plant in Alabama.

I think the Corolla Trek is a stop gap, and will go with the introduction of the Cross and possibly revised C-HR (which will be 6 years old in 2022) for Europe. The Cross is larger and more practical than the C-HR, though based on the same wheelbase.

Rather than having separate models for Europe, the US, etc, Toyota seem to be pursuing more of a global range, which reduces costs, etc.

It also follows the theme started by the Yaris Cross. 

The Yaris Cross actually has a approx 20l  larger boot capacity than the CH-R so I can't see any need for Toyota to market both models , the CH-R's  production run may well be coming to end in the near future

23 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

there is probably room to have a "style" product & a "utility" product appealing to different customers.

33 minutes ago, st901 said:

The Yaris Cross actually has a approx 20l  larger boot

The subject is the Corolla Cross.

• Like 1

30mpg is shocking. Surprised not only available as a hybrid. 

Sort of a RAV 4 body trim, with parts from a corolla.  

James.

1 hour ago, Auris James said:

30mpg is shocking. Surprised not only available as a hybrid. 

Smaller gallon & a different test procedure than here.

Have you seen the price of "gas" in the USA currently? Depending upon state, it is ~£2.05-2.20 per US gallon.

• Thanks 1

30mpg (US) is equivalent to just over 36mpg (Imperial) for a 2.0 litre non-hybrid. If the Corolla Cross comes to Europe will almost certainly be in hybrid form.

• Thanks 1

The US version only comes with a CVT autobox. Not the hybrid E-CVT, but steelbelt and pulleys. The affects fuel economy by 10% or so.

I'm no fan of higher SUV cars. All the struggle to minimize CO2 are more or less wasted, if the cars gets bigger and bigger. 

The Yaris Cross CO2 emission is 120 g/km. The normal Yaris CO2 emission is 85 g/km.

Similar figures must be expected the the Corolla Cross.

• Thanks 1