Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Android Auto - how to?

Roy124

I had Android Auto installed back in March.  I tried it but didn't like the Google display.  Following comments here about Waze I thought to give it a go. 

When I connect the phone I am asked if I was to transfer files or so but no option actually running AA. 

I have forgotten how to do it.  So a 2 part question. How do I get AA connected?  How do I get Waze and not Google? 

O

Is AA still installed on your phone?

I hear it is fussy about the USB cable. I use the one that came with the phone and it has always worked OK.

Waze is just an app that you run from the android auto menu on the head unit.

4 minutes ago, camellia30 said:

Is AA still installed on your phone?

I hear it is fussy about the USB cable. I use the one that came with the phone and it has always worked OK.

Waze is just an app that you run from the android auto menu on the head unit.

Thanks, I will change cables though finding an original is impossible.  Will report back. 

When we changed to our current Hyundai, we were advised that the cable has to be a data cable, which not all usb cables are. Original phone cables do tend to be - both of our original phone cables are. 

As others have said use either the usb cable that came with the phone or a usb cable that's also a data cable.

Make sure you have the android auto app installed as well and as soon as you plugin it should start to setup and configure stuff.

Also make sure Waze is logged in before you start as I had some weirdness with mine when I first used it.

I personally prefer Google maps but Waze is owned by Google anyway.

• 4 months later...

this might help for those who stuble on this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWCAWbUGS2Q&ab_channel=Clint%27sTechTips

..and your phone will ask you to give permission for the car to communicate.

It's the quality of cable I found to be the issue, general run of the mill are no use, however I have found that cables made by JuiceEbitz on eBay to be proper cables and their customer service is second to none.  If you don't fancy using eBay then I would recommend Ugreen found on Amazon or Amazon basics (don't be fooled by the "basics").

I've used AA on several different makes of vehicle and never had an issue regardless of the vehicle manufacturer, as long as their head unit supports it.