Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mobile Phone Data

FiestaRed

I'm clutching at straws so maybe someone on here may be able to help. I use GiffGaff Goody Bags on my mobile phone and for some reason the data in my Goody Bag has been used at an alarming rate in recent days. I normally only use 10% of the Goody Bag over a month but I had a message from GiffGaff saying I had less than 10% left and I'm only half way through the month.

The only change has been my car arriving. I wonder if there's anything on the multi-media system that could be eating my data so quickly. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not aware of anything that would use a considerable amount of data. Did you update the map using mobile data?

Does you phone give you a list of apps that have been using mobile data? Could give you a clue as to what have been using your data

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply David.

I haven't done the map update yet, it's on a USB stick ready to do though. I have noticed that the 'Online' setting is marked as 'On' not sure if this means anything at all?

On iPhone go to settings - mobile data and scroll down. This will tell you how much mobile data each app has used since it was reset, there is also a reset button at the bottom, I’m guessing android has similar.

Do you have the phone connected to the car for mobile data and if so do you stream any music or podcasts? It’s  better to download these at home rather than using your phone data to stream.

From what your saying you need to find out what is using your data and either stop it or accept it and buy a bigger goody bag.

• Like 1

I use my phone as a hotspot for the multimedia system to connect to and I haven't observed any significant increase in data usage. I possible explanation I can think of is if you've been using music streaming services as Beta mentioned

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beta said:

On iPhone go to settings - mobile data and scroll down. This will tell you how much mobile data each app has used since it was reset, there is also a reset button at the bottom, I’m guessing android has similar.

Do you have the phone connected to the car for mobile data and if so do you stream any music or podcasts? It’s  better to download these at home rather than using your phone data to stream.

From what your saying you need to find out what is using your data and either stop it or accept it and buy a bigger goody bag.

I've never had the phone connected through a cable to the car, I use the data slot under the dash for a USB stick with all my music on it. 

1 hour ago, FiestaRed said:

I've never had the phone connected through a cable to the car, I use the data slot under the dash for a USB stick with all my music on it. 

How do you connect the car to the internet or don’t you do that? It seems odd you are using a lot more mobile data since you have had the car. If you don’t connect the phone via a cable for Apple car play or android auto or connect using the phones hot spot then I don’t see how the car can be using your phone data. Have a look at your apps and see what is using the data it may be nothing to do with the car.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beta said:

How do you connect the car to the internet or don’t you do that? It seems odd you are using a lot more mobile data since you have had the car. If you don’t connect the phone via a cable for apple car play or android auto or connect using the phones hot spot then I don’t see how the car can be using your phone data. Have a look at your apps and see what is using the data it may be nothing to do with the car.

It can use the bluetooth connection to access the internet. It can use that to obtain traffic information and perform sat nav name searches. However the data usage for both of those is going to be very low.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beta said:

How do you connect the car to the internet or don’t you do that? It seems odd you are using a lot more mobile data since you have had the car. If you don’t connect the phone via a cable for apple car play or android auto or connect using the phones hot spot then I don’t see how the car can be using your phone data. Have a look at your apps and see what is using the data it may be nothing to do with the car.

As far as I know Mark, I've not had the phone connected to the car. bluetooth is turned on on my phone and 'Online' is turned on in the car. None of the apps on the phone show any signs of large use.