Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Irish postcodes on 2021 hybrid navigation system

Grizelda Wizzle

Does anyone know of a way to get the eire codes on the 2021 hybrid navigation system please?  The actual sat nav itself is not very user friendly which is a pain as we bought the vehicle for trips to Europe!  Apart from that and some other small niggles like a non adjustable passenger seat (which is very helpful if you're short) we love it!!

Thank you.

google map have them i use it 

1 hour ago, Grizelda Wizzle said:

Does anyone know of a way to get the eire codes on the 2021 hybrid navigation system please?  The actual sat nav itself is not very user friendly which is a pain as we bought the vehicle for trips to Europe!  Apart from that and some other small niggles like a non adjustable passenger seat (which is very helpful if you're short) we love it!!

Thank you.

android/apple auto on google maps works i use it

Thank you.  I'm about to see if I can work out how to use it. 

1 hour ago, Grizelda Wizzle said:

Thank you.  I'm about to see if I can work out how to use it. 

try google maps on your phone/pc and try it that way first.

It seems to accept lat/long co-ordinates that you can get from google maps.  I have to say that it's not nearly as user friendly as other systems we have used.  Had I realised, we probably would have bought a different vehicle!  I also don't want to have to be using my phone as it's on roaming data when we're out of our home territory and the costs are astronomical!  

I also don't find the toyota website/help topics particularly user friendly.

7 minutes ago, Grizelda Wizzle said:

It seems to accept lat/long co-ordinates that you can get from google maps.  I have to say that it's not nearly as user friendly as other systems we have used.  Had I realised, we probably would have bought a different vehicle!  I also don't want to have to be using my phone as it's on roaming data when we're out of our home territory and the costs are astronomical!  

I also don't find the toyota website/help topics particularly user friendly.

best way is down load destination to your phone then plug your phone into android/apple play on your motor,

then you will be able to view destination off line...remember its a seven digit number for the post code.

On 8/19/2021 at 6:56 PM, Grizelda Wizzle said:

Does anyone know of a way to get the eire codes on the 2021 hybrid navigation system please? 

Can you explain the issue more? Does it simply not have a field?

Iirc Eire uses a 7 digit system e.g. xxx yyyy? Are you inputting the space?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

Can you explain the issue more? Does it simply not have a field?

Iirc Eire uses a 7 digit system e.g. xxx yyyy? Are you inputting the space?

I'm pretty sure it just doesn't do Irish postcodes - I've tried setting a route to somewhere in Dublin (by post code) and it just doesn't recognise it. You appear to be limited to the first three digits only (which is a bit of a throw-back)

It should accept a full address, and, of course, lat/longs give greater precision ...

4 minutes ago, philip42h said:

I'm pretty sure it just doesn't do Irish postcodes - I've tried setting a route to somewhere in Dublin (by post code) and it just doesn't recognise it. You appear to be limited to the first three digits only (which is a bit of a throw-back)

It should accept a full address, and, of course, lat/longs give greater precision ...

'm pretty sure it just doesn't do Irish postcodes...do you mean google or car satnav? car sat nav does not but google i find ok fot this?

The OP was asking about "Irish postcodes on 2021 hybrid navigation system" ...

I can have a go on mine later if someone posts a postcode to test.

10 hours ago, philip42h said:

The OP was asking about "Irish postcodes on 2021 hybrid navigation system" ...

no 2021 hybrid navigation system wont do Irish post codes.

9 minutes ago, roger_37 said:

no 2021 hybrid navigation system wont do Irish post codes.

... and, as you say, Google Maps will, so there is a way forward for Eire navigation by postcode there.

This is a UK forum, I knew nothing of Eircode, and, like others on here, had some difficulty in believing that in the 21st century the Toyota navigation system didn't work with Irish postcodes. But I now know that Eircodes weren't introduced until July 2015 and Toyota navigation systems have never been what you might call state of the art or up to the minute. I also note, from a non-scientific and limited survey, that Irish businesses and attraction don't automatically include an Eirecode in addresses on their web sites. Being from Tyrone I suspect that you have been well aware of all this for some time.

I am 'assuming' here that Carolyn is also in Eire ...

Carolyn should be reassured that this is a specific issue for Eire. She will be able to use full addresses and lat/longs within Eire (if she wishes to use the built-in satnav) and that the built-in system works pretty well across Europe in general (or at least as far as I have travelled in various RAVs). I assume that she can also use the Share to Car feature of My Toyota to set-up destinations before she travels to avoid unnecessary 'fighting' with the on screen system in the car. (I am 'assuming' here that My Toyota and Share to Car are available in Eire as they are in the UK!)

If she wishes to use Google Maps, she can, of course, use the Download Offline copy feature of Google maps before she leaves 'home' to minimise the volume of data that is downloaded whilst on the road.

Finally, Carolyn should probably ask her dealer what plans Toyota have to resolve this shortfall. The satnav system is perfectly capable of handling postcodes in general, so I'd assume that Toyota could address this issue in a future map update.

I’ve just tried my 2021 Nav system, after finding a postcode at random using the Eircode, somewhere in Dublin, D02 KD58. I entered this into the search with the space, nothing. Then repeated having selected the country as Eire and it found the address and plotted a route, I’m in Bedfordshire UK. Whether this is the correct address I’m not sure but the Map system does have the UK + Europe maps. It showed, restrictions etc, and offered the standard alternatives.

AA/Waze just went straight in and offered various alternatives.

• Like 1

So it's more a process thing than it can't find the postcodes.  It's often the way.

@Yugguy1970, hopefully it’s just a process issue, but as I said I could get it to locate an Erie postcode if I changed the map country search and ensured that there was a space in the postcode. My car does have the latest 2021 UK and Europe maps. I have to say that I’m still amazed that postcode searches still require a space to be included on some applications. Another reason I use Waze just tell Google where I want to go and it does the rest, I’ve never had much success getting OEM car based voice commands to work either effectively  or reliably.

44 minutes ago, ernieb said:

I’ve just tried my 2021 Nav system, after finding a postcode at random using the Eircode, somewhere in Dublin, D02 KD58. I entered this into the search with the space, nothing. Then repeated having selected the country as Eire and it found the address and plotted a route ...

Now that is interesting Ernie. Obviously, you have to tell the system which country you want to go to - otherwise it will reasonably assume that it is an address in the country you are already in and only look within that country. But when I select Ireland and enter the same code (D02 KD58) it says simply 'not found'. Like you, I [should] have the latest UK and Europe maps installed (but perhaps not).

But this suggests that there maybe some near term hope available to Carolyn (and Martin) through a map update ...

When I entered the first part D02 (D zero 2) it did indicate Dublin and the rest of the code KD58 narrowed it down. I was then offered one choice D02 KD58.  I’ve just rechecked the postcode on Google and it comes up with Saint Kevin’s Dublin.

It all seems a bit flaky one way or another.

1 hour ago, ernieb said:

I’ve just tried my 2021 Nav system, after finding a postcode at random using the Eircode, somewhere in Dublin, D02 KD58. I entered this into the search with the space, nothing. Then repeated having selected the country as Eire and it found the address and plotted a route, I’m in Bedfordshire UK. Whether this is the correct address I’m not sure but the Map system does have the UK + Europe maps. It showed, restrictions etc, and offered the standard alternatives.

AA/Waze just went straight in and offered various alternatives.

i tried this with the changed country but it didnt work , this was trying a town in donegal,which is fifteen miles away im in N.I.

I did some Googling last night & I discovered as Philip did, that Eire is very much a late comer to post codes. Also, afaik unique in that it went for individual codes per address rather than 1 code covering several/an area - as such it's database is pro rata considerably larger than e.g. France, Germany, UK etc. & apparently they also charge rather high fees for quarterly database updates.

It appears not only Toyota satnavs that struggle. e.g. https://www.kodiaqforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3036

Here added developer tools for Eirecodes to their platform in 2018 so it should be possible to use Eirecodes on T2G (which uses Here mapping) if implemented.

• Like 1

@Heidfirst,  I was also surprised that the Eirecodes seemed to show individual codes, defined by a red dot, that explains what’s going on.

• Like 1