Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dashcam

PAISLEY1903

Has anyone had the dash cam front and rear fitted to their car by Toyota.

£350+VAT.  They say it comes with a internal Battery so even when hard wired it doesn't affect the Battery when its in intelligent park mode if it switches on.

Just wondered if worth it ( I do a lot of miles).

dash cams.pdf

Yes, I have and I think that it is worthwhile ...

I'm not aware of an "intelligent park mode" - as installed (hard wired) it switches on and off with the ignition and doesn't affect the auxiliary Battery at all.

Looking at the manual (just now) it states:

6. Parking Mode
There are two methods of using parking Mode, which one used is dependent on whether you are using a ‘Permanent Live’ or ‘Switched Live’.
Permanent live:
This means that there is always 12Vdc being supplied to the Dash Cam. This can either by using a 12Vdc outlet that does not power off when the vehicles ignition is turned off or by using the Nextbase Hardwire Kit which has been installed using a permanent live fuse location.
Once Parking Mode has been turned on, the Dash Cam will enter standby mode when there is no physical movement detected for a 5 minute period.
Switched live:
This method requires the Nextbase 380 battery pack to provide power to the Dash Cam, as when the vehicles ignition is turned off the 12Vdc outlet will no longer supply power to the Dash Cam.
Note:
- Without the 380 battery pack installed Parking Mode will NOT function upon a switched live power supply.

Mine is installed to a switched live; no Battery pack is installed; no 'parking mode' functions are available ...

Thanks @Philip42h so the only difference is with the one Toyota are giving me it has the internal Battery pack installed so if I have it right it would be installed to switched live but have the Battery pack so the parking element would work.  Strange your one didn't have that...  was it fitted by Toyota?

You asked:

11 hours ago, PAISLEY1903 said:

Has anyone had the dash cam front and rear fitted to their car by Toyota

I answered 'yes' - what I have is the Toyota accessory Dashcam offering (front and rear) as presented on the price list, supplied and fitted by Toyota at the time that I purchased the car.

Looking again at the instructions, the "Battery pack" is simply a cell installed within the front camera - i.e. there is no external Battery pack - so I probably do have said cell installed but haven't ripped the thing apart to find out (the cover does not remove easily). Checking again, I don't not have Parking Mode enabled but I could (i.e. I can check the check box) so, assuming that the Battery pack is installed, it should work ... 🙂

I had a play with it when I first got the car - it records front and rear views in short video clips in decent resolution / quality. I don't regularly download the data - life's far too short - and I haven't been involved in any incident where Dashcam footage would be of benefit. In that sense, I hope that it is a complete waste of money! 🤞

The parking mode is rubbish.  Searching online it seems everyone who's commented on it has disabled it, as I have.  Very annoying as it's something I particularly wanted, and had on my last 2 dashcams.

Even when sensitivity is at minimum. it triggers at the slightest vibration, including opening or closing a door, working some switches, moving the sun visor.  Gusts of wind can do it.  On a windy day I'd return to the car to find it had activated so many times it's internal Battery was flat, and sometimes it took a full reset (holding the reset button in for several seconds) to get it to start again.  Then for ages you'd keep hearing "low battery" messages repeatedly whenever you turned the car off.

It also meant the number of 'protected' video files was as high as the number of ordinary ones, so finding a file that had been protected manually or after an evasive manoeuvre was difficult.

I really wish I'd chosen another make and paid my dealer to install it as I did with my last 2 Toyotas.  I certainly won't ever touch Nextbase again.

• Like 2

thank you everyone.  Pete would you say it does the job and quality is good if had to review it and works fine without the parking element.   that's annoying as I really wanting the park element but not sure.  I take it you can click a button to make it protected then .. to save front and rear...  sorry for asking so many questions

When I had my Thinkware Dashcam (f&r, hardwired to a pemanent live) installed 4 years ago the general consensus was that Thinkware at that time had the best parking mode which was important to me . It also had 12V Battery protection built into the cam as standard whereas others like Blackvue required an additional device at extra cost. Even so that only allows for a couple of days use (could wire in an extra powerpack). Certainly wasn't the cheapest option & has a no. of extra features that I didn't require as car already had them but it's still working 4 years later.

Worth doing your own research as these things change  - this may prove useful https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/

4 hours ago, PAISLEY1903 said:

thank you everyone.  Pete would you say it does the job and quality is good if had to review it and works fine without the parking element.   that's annoying as I really wanting the park element but not sure.  I take it you can click a button to make it protected then .. to save front and rear...  sorry for asking so many questions

The basic system is quite good.  Picture quality is good in daylight, average at night.  Yes, there is a button that protects both cameras, and protected files are saved in a separate folder.

The parking mode was slightly flawed even if it worked, as it doesn't start recording until a few seconds after and impact has triggered it. 

My other reservation was that for the first year or so the camera kept failing to start recording, or would shut down during a journey, usually needing a manual restart or occasionally a reboot (for which I'd need to find somewhere to stop the car).  I would notice this at least 2-4 times a week, and who knows how many times it happened and I didn't notice.  The dealer said they had another customer with the same problem, and they gave us both a new unit.  The replacement unit was no better, so I contacted Nextbase support.  They looked at a memory dump I sent them and sent me another SD card, but to no avail.  However, after a while it seemed to clear up and I've not noticed it happening for at least 9 months.  It still leaves an uneasy feeling though.

[I had my previous 2 cameras (RoadHawk DC-1 and Road Angel Halo) 4 and 3 years respectively with no problems.  They were wired to both ignition circuit and a permanently live circuit.  Movement detected by a camera also triggered them as well as a knock, and recorded 30 seconds before and after the event.  A voltage sensor shut them down if the car Battery started getting low to avoid being unable to start the car.  This was much more satisfactory and once helped another driver out when his car (on loan from his dealer) was damaged while parked in front of mine.  His dealer accepted my evidence and let him off the £500 excess he would otherwise have been liable for]

8 hours ago, PAISLEY1903 said:

Craig, I can recommend a really good installer/vendor in the Glasgow area if you want?

Thank you Heidfirst might be worth considering.

When I first considered the 380GW / GWX front or front and rear Toyota fitted I assumed it would be "switched live" in that as soon as the ignition went off the Battery pack within it kicked in to run the intelligent parking... however I have read two threads that confuse me..  one reads...

"use permanent live as the hardwire kit will stop drawing the current voltage if drops to 11.4v protecting car Battery.

the other reads

"to have the intelligent parking feature work without using car Battery and auto kick in its internal battery it needs to be wired to a switched live"

My questions really are.. is the difference simply permanent live will draw on the car battery when ignition is off and then kick in dash cam battery v switched will kick it in immediately !   and what then happens if once stopped in say traffic... does it kick in...

Finally has anyone know best location to fit it I have read some horror stories of location in front and rear window... too low... too high (can't get it off), wrong position due to windscreen wiper not reaching...  Just so whoever fits it (dealer is 290 miles from me) its right first time.

Thank you 

Permanent live:
This means that there is always 12Vdc being supplied to the Dash Cam. This can either by
using a 12Vdc outlet that does not power off when the vehicles ignition is turned off or by using the Nextbase Hardwire Kit which has been installed using a permanent live fuse location.

Once Parking Mode has been turned on, the Dash Cam will enter standby mode when there is no physical movement detected for a 5 minute period.

Switched live:
This method requires the Nextbase 380 battery pack to provide power to the Dash Cam, as when the vehicles ignition is turned off the 12Vdc outlet will no longer supply power to the Dash Cam.

- Without the 380 battery pack installed Parking Mode will NOT function upon a switched live power supply.

When Parking Mode has been turned on, the Dash Cam enters standby mode when the 12Vdc supply has been turned off.
Once activated Parking Mode functions in the same way for both Switched and Permanent power supplies:-

As I've said above, fitted by Toyota it will be on a switched live circuit - it comes on and goes off with the 'ignition'. You'd have to negotiate with your dealer or fitter for a permanent live solution but you REALLY don't want that with a hybrid (see thread on 12v auxiliary battery).

Toyota install the dashcams in sensible places. The front is on the passenger side 'behind' the rear view mirror; the rear is top centre of rear window; where the cams can see the view in front / behind and they are not too intrusive from the point of view of the driver - I can't really see the front cam whilst driving; the rear is obviously in view but it's pretty small.

Interesting comments here as considering getting the dealer fitted camera at next service - am kicking myself for not getting it when I bought the car in March.

Am I right in thinking that the dealer fitted camera is stuck properly to the windscreen and doesn't fall off in sunshine ?. This might sound silly but the one I have is on a suction pad and falls off when left in hot weather triggering the alarm. Has happened too many times now and need to sort properly.

35 minutes ago, Peterd23 said:

Interesting comments here as considering getting the dealer fitted camera at next service - am kicking myself for not getting it when I bought the car in March.

Am I right in thinking that the dealer fitted camera is stuck properly to the windscreen and doesn't fall off in sunshine ?. This might sound silly but the one I have is on a suction pad and falls off when left in hot weather triggering the alarm. Has happened too many times now and need to sort properly.

The Dashcam base is firmly stuck to the windscreen - 3M pad I think but that's not a promise. The Dashcam clips onto the base so that it is easily removable to access SD card etc. (but won't fall off).

I'm pretty certain that there are 'better' Dashcam setups out there but the Toyota supplied, dealer fitted, accessory seems good enough to me ... 🙂

• Thanks 1

Thank you.  Switched is what I thought.  The document from the dealer says "powered via a permanent connection to the vehicles 12v supply whilst the car is running and via a rechargeable Battery for parking mode to ensure no draw on the 12v battery".

This to me is "switched" and maybe the word "permanent" they use in the leaflet is a spanner in the works!  I shall contact dealer to investigate and report back

1367742725_Screenshot2021-08-21at10_25_47.thumb.png.15cb519858190f45244a967e7a8cb81d.png1367742725_Screenshot2021-08-21at10_25_47.thumb.png.15cb519858190f45244a967e7a8cb81d.png

Yeah ... that sounds a bit confusing ... by 'permanent' they mean a hardwired connection to the switched 12V supply at the fuse box (at least I think that it's at the fusebox) rather than having to plug into the 12V accessory socket in the dash - i.e. tidier and much more convenient.

They do indeed have a rechargeable Battery for parking mode functions (that I don't use and have some limitations as described by others above).

• Like 1

Be carful when having the rear camera fitted. Toyota fitted my Nextbase front and rear camera. If you have the rear camera that's fits on the rear window, rather than just a rear facing one, it interferes with your DAB signal making it next to useless in some areas.

11 hours ago, SteveB23 said:

Be carful when having the rear camera fitted. Toyota fitted my Nextbase front and rear camera. If you have the rear camera that's fits on the rear window, rather than just a rear facing one, it interferes with your DAB signal making it next to useless in some areas.

I have the rear Dashcam installed. DAB works just fine. I see no evidence of 'interference' ...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/21/2021 at 8:49 AM, philip42h said:

Toyota install the dashcams in sensible places. The front is on the passenger side 'behind' the rear view mirror; the rear is top centre of rear window; where the cams can see the view in front / behind and they are not too intrusive from the point of view of the driver - I can't really see the front cam whilst driving; the rear is obviously in view but it's pretty small.

Mine is installed on the driver side,on the black dotted area as per my request...

• Like 1

@Shootgun so its on the black dotted area with camera just off and easy enough to manage.  Is the back one just in centre.  Did you have any issues with DAB or any issues with the parking option?  I just want to tell my dealer exactly what I want (as they are 300 miles approx away so want it right first time if I can haha) any advice would be welcome

@PAISLEY1903Never had any problem with DAB.  Back camera is in the centre, see pictures for the front one...

IMG_1349.jpg

IMG_1351.jpg

• Like 1

I do recall some posts from people saying the installation of a rear camera affected their DAB reception, can't remember if they were aftermarket. As here, they prompted a mixture of replies from people who had and had not been affected.

• Like 1

I gave the dealer precisely no instructions - just let them fit in accordance with the installation sheet they'd get from Toyota. So the front camera is installed in the same position as Shootgun's but on the passenger side of the rear view mirror. The first picture shows the view from the driver's seat - you can see the rear camera in the rear-view mirror. The second shows where the front camera is attached.

20210822_144211.jpg

20210822_144232.jpg

We had the same set-up installed in the wife's C-HR - it's in exactly the same position ...

• Like 1

@philip42h main reason for asking the dealer to mount the camera on the driver's side was  i didn't want to see the cables running from the camera...

16 minutes ago, PAISLEY1903 said:

@ShootgunDo you use the parking feature or not bother. 

I do