Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dashcam

PAISLEY1903

I had a Dashcam in my Avensis quite a few years ago, it had a built-in rechargeable Battery.

This ensured that the camera shut down correctly and allowed it to finish writing to the sd card.

However it failed after a year or so, I purchased a replacement Battery and fitted it myself, this too failed so I purchased one with a “super capacitor” instead of an internal Battery, this worked fine.

Not sure if those with internal batteries are still prone to fail, those with a “permanent live” don’t require an internal battery.

3 hours ago, Shootgun said:

I do

Thank you.  Any tips on using do you have it ticked on at all times. 

That reminds me, found it on the dealer's website and asked for a quote a couple of weeks ago.

Nothing - radio silence!!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Koush said:

Have a look at this dash, looks interesting...

https://fitcamx.com/products/fitcamx-dash-cam-for-2020-2021-toyota-rav4

I’ve got the 4K version, very easy to install 5 - 10 minutes 

77DDADA2-DF40-4179-83E5-D405E0A7B60A.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Asked dealer today about fitting a front camera - had hoped it would still be £250. Sadly, all prices have now gone up including service prices and the front Dashcam is now £300.

2 hours ago, Peterd23 said:

Asked dealer today about fitting a front camera - had hoped it would still be £250. Sadly, all prices have now gone up including service prices and the front dashcam is now £300.

I popped into our dealer yesterday having heard nothing - still quoting £250. £300 for the 'cam with an integral rear facing lens. Good if you forget what your rear seats look like 😁

13 minutes ago, Lawnmowerman said:

I popped into our dealer yesterday having heard nothing - still quoting £250. £300 for the 'cam with an integral rear facing lens. Good if you forget what your rear seats look like 😁

I'm not sold on the Nextbase ones tbh. ThinkVue or whatever it is has really good video quality. Blackvue has really good cloud functionality.  That's ultimately why I went for Blackvue (with the Battery and the LTE module), given that at least my camera will notify me when it's parked. 

This being said, there is a HUGE difference in cost. £350 fitted vs £1000 fitted (dual cameras, LTE module and Battery module)

17 minutes ago, Lawnmowerman said:

As in, one that records people inside your car? That sorta stuff would be useful for taxi drivers (Assuming the council/taxi company is cool with it, given privacy reasons)

42 minutes ago, priusnoob said:

As in, one that records people inside your car? That sorta stuff would be useful for taxi drivers (Assuming the council/taxi company is cool with it, given privacy reasons)

Depending on how many people you usually carry in the back, the Nextbase Duo with a rear facing camera built into the main unit isn't that bad.  If you regularly had a centre passenger it would probably be more limited, but whenever I've looked at footage with two rear passengers they are barely visible -  guess if they were cuddled together that might be different (but these two are married so that's not much risk of that 😂).

Obviously a second camera on the rear window would be better still, but that's adds cost and complication.  My main concern is the dire parking mode performance, which as I mentioned earlier in this thread I've switched off, even though I'd really prefer to have it.

Here's a shot from my rear facing camera.

Rear Facing Camera 2.jpg

• Like 1

I get my car on Monday so within a few days I will share my thoughts!

• Like 1

On 8/22/2021 at 4:37 PM, PAISLEY1903 said:

@ShootgunDo you use the parking feature or not bother. 

On 8/22/2021 at 4:54 PM, Shootgun said:

I do

How do you find it?  As you've continued using it, I'm wondering if they've finally addressed the problems.

Another question to anyone who's got a Nextbase Dashcam, has anyone managed to get it to work with an Android phone?  From various support boards (including the Nextbase one) it seems it connects fine to an iPhone, but I've not seen a single report of it working with Android.  I've tried extensively myself with four different phones (all Samsung) without any success, so I'd be interested to hear other people's experience.

8 minutes ago, PeteB said:

Another question to anyone who's got a Nextbase Dashcam, has anyone managed to get it to work with an Android phone?  From various support boards (including the Nextbase one) it seems it connects fine to an iPhone, but I've not seen a single report of it working with Android. 

You have now! 🙂

I assume that you are referring to the Nextbase Cam Viewer app that allows you to change settings and download images?

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, philip42h said:

You have now! 🙂

I assume that you are referring to the NextBase Cam Viewer app that allows you to change settings and download images?

Yup!  Thanks, good to know.

Great thread. Just been reading through.

I was wondering whether I should just power a Dashcam off a Lithium power bank which is in turn connected to a power socket for it's own top up in the centre console. That means the power bank gets charged when driving (and powers the dash cam) but doesn't get charged when the car is off. And when the car is off the dash cam is powered up off the power bank providing super long parking mode operation.

Any issues with that anyone can see?

I think that the only performance issue would be power bank capacity v how long your car might sit unused. The other would be neatly routing the cables.

• Like 1

I'd want to check the manual of the power bank - I'm sure I've seen some that said you should be charging and drawing power at the same time, but I'm not sure what the risk of doing it.  Overheating maybe?

• Like 1

I’d probably not go the power bank route but either use a USB, 12v accessory or hard wire.  If you get Toyota to fit they might use a live feed behind the rear view mirror or something. It’s something I’m thinking of myself as I’ve had cameras in my last two cars,still working on the best solution for me.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, PeteB said:

I'd want to check the manual of the power bank - I'm sure I've seen some that said you should be charging and drawing power at the same time, but I'm not sure what the risk of doing it.  Overheating maybe?

I've got one which can be charged and draw at the same time. 20000mAh. So I think that part might be fine.

8 minutes ago, ernieb said:

I’d probably not go the power bank route but either use a USB, 12v accessory or hard wire.  If you get Toyota to fit they might use a live feed behind the rear view mirror or something. It’s something I’m thinking of myself as I’ve had cameras in my last two cars,still working on the best solution for me.

I think I want a long parking mode. At least 24 hours really. Intrigued to learn what you choose.

I would have thought that the car could probably cope with a 24hr period. So this will be in parking mode? Whenever I’ve tried this I found the delay in operation of the camera is much longer than the event and have stopped using it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nick72 said:

I've got one which can be charged and draw at the same time. 20000mAh. So I think that part might be fine.

Mine is similar @18000ma 800A peak, IP66, dual fast charge USB’s, USB’s useful for a camera.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick72 said:

I think I want a long parking mode. At least 24 hours really. Intrigued to learn what you choose.

My Thinkware will run for 2-3 days before the 12V protection kicks in depending upon settings & temp. but it's not a hybrid car so the 12V Battery might be a bit stronger.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

My Thinkware will run for 2-3 days before the 12V protection kicks in depending upon settings & temp. but it's not a hybrid car so the 12V battery might be a bit stronger.

Thanks, yeh there are a few that run for a while but I'm worried about the fragile little Battery in the PHEV so I think I don't want to draw any current from that. But instead draw current from a power bank which I can just charge off the car when the car is running. I might mock something up with a cheap second hand camera to check it all works before splashing out.

On 9/8/2021 at 8:38 PM, PeteB said:

How do you find it?  As you've continued using it, I'm wondering if they've finally addressed the problems.

Another question to anyone who's got a Nextbase Dashcam, has anyone managed to get it to work with an Android phone?  From various support boards (including the Nextbase one) it seems it connects fine to an iPhone, but I've not seen a single report of it working with Android.  I've tried extensively myself with four different phones (all Samsung) without any success, so I'd be interested to hear other people's experience.

I got a Nextbase 322GW. After seeing your post I went to see if the cam and my Google Pixel mobile would “talk” to each other. App on the phone, recognised there was a 322GW but would not connect. Surprised because Google make the Android software and I was using a Google phone, thought it would work, but no.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1