Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Indicators don't work on one side

Jellekamma

Hi all,

My name is Jelle, I'm from the Netherlands. My wife has a Toyota Aygo from 2012.

It is a nice car. However, all of a sudden I have issues with the indicators on one side.

All 3 lights fail on one side. The other side works fine. You can hear the indicator ticking much faster on the side which is failing. (green arrow is blinking in the dashboard)

The hazard lights also work on one side. I have checked the fuses but they look okay.  If one light fails the others should work fine right? (not all 3)

The car has not been used regularly.

Does anyone have a tip on how to fix this?

Check the bulbs, they may just of died 1 at a time and your wife didn't notice or 1 died and the rapid flashing killed the other bulbs

hi, thanks, I checked one and it was fine. Should I check all of them if one seems ok?

31 minutes ago, Jellekamma said:

hi, thanks, I checked one and it was fine. Should I check all of them if one seems ok?

Yes

Check that a wire has not fallen off of the indicator relay.

The clicking noise would suggest that the relay is working fine.

Maybe just unplug the relay and check the pins. Re-seat it and see if that clears the fault.

Just a thought, the PSA hazard switches are notorious for causing problems, give the switch a wobble and push in on and off loads of times, if it comes back to life that may be the issue

Sounds like a problem with the indicator Flasher Relay:

The other thread mentioned: "There are 2 relays: one for each side."  "Top left corner, the two black boxes with "Taiko" on them.

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/119168-hazard-turn-indicator-unit/ )

As the thread is 11 years old, pictures are long gone.  Follow the signal's ticking sound might lead you to the actual relay itself.

Once you got there, swap the two relays around will verify if the relays are bad.  If nothing changes, then it will be wirings. Dig out your Multimeter / Circuit Tester Probe AND good luck.

I've just checked the wiring diagrams for a Mark 1 (which will include a 2012 model) and there are NO relays on the indicators - they are driven directly from the combination meter internal circuitry. 

That the RHS ones don't flash when the hazards are turned on to me suggests a wiring problem.

Indicators and Hazards.pdf

7 hours ago, Vandals01 said:

Sounds like a problem with the indicator Flasher Relay:

The other thread mentioned: "There are 2 relays: one for each side."  "Top left corner, the two black boxes with "Taiko" on them.

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/119168-hazard-turn-indicator-unit/ )

As the thread is 11 years old, pictures are long gone.  Follow the signal's ticking sound might lead you to the actual relay itself.

Once you got there, swap the two relays around will verify if the relays are bad.  If nothing changes, then it will be wirings. Dig out your Multimeter / Circuit Tester Probe AND good luck.

The 2 relays are internal to the cluster and are soldered to the pcb

Pic courtesy of Andydoz (relays on the right)

1198869303_lcdremoval.thumb.JPG.c0771ed1a8de32ba93624afe797fa0c0.JPG

Its not a ground issue, the OP needs to check for power at the bulb socket the simplest way would be to use a tested, known good bulb and then check the connectors on the rear of the gauge cluster

• Like 2

Not sure if your issue is related to this? I did both hazard and indicator stalk clean myself and saved over £100. A lot if the Aftermarket stalks dont have front fog function. If i didn't have front fogs i would have bought a one on eBay for £15.

• Like 1

thanks for all the replies

are te relays located under the bonnet alongs with the fuses?

1 hour ago, Jellekamma said:

are te relays located under the bonnet alongs with the fuses?

No, see post above by @flash22 the relays are soldered onto the circuit board behind the speedo.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks all, I have replaced the entire unit from a donor car. Everything works fine now!

• 4 months later...

All my indicator lights are working, it's just when I flick the stalk either up or down the indicators don't always come on. Sometimes I have to hold the stalk a certain way to get the lights to come on. Anyone know what the problem could be? Whether I need a new stalk or is there some sort of wiring fault or circuit problem? TIA

When I research the Aygo before I purchased one a number of reviews suggested the the stalks can be a problem.  I suspected that purely because there are so many for sale.  Good news is they are relatively cheap to replace. 

1 hour ago, pg11 said:

All my indicator lights are working, it's just when I flick the stalk either up or down the indicators don't always come on. Sometimes I have to hold the stalk a certain way to get the lights to come on. Anyone know what the problem could be? Whether I need a new stalk or is there some sort of wiring fault or circuit problem? TIA

@pg11Check my post above and there is your solution.. i had exact the same problem as you described, plus my hazard switch was not working. Check the youtube video. I followed rhe video and all sorted. I would have changed the stalk, but i had fogs and majority of the stalks available dont have fogs switch. It tool me 40mins all in all and all sorted and never had a issue since. Hope that helps

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pg11 said:

That's the common problem of corrosion or 'gunge' build up inside the indicator stalk.

If you're handy the stalk can be removed and opened up to clean it, if not then replacement stalks are usually available on well known auction sites (I took the later route on my Mk1).