Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My Corolla 2.0 TS mpg Average After 6000 miles

bigblock

I would like to share my mpg figures with the forum as I keep a record of all tank to tank fill ups that I  have done over the first 6000 miles from new. Firstly I keep the vehicle setting in normal mode all the time. I have never used eco or sport mode. I drive it like I would a standard gear shift vehicle. Not really trying for maximum economy or booting it either. A lot of short 20 mile and 50 mile runs mainly. Have not done a big trip yet and no long motorway driving so far. Just some background on the following numbers

Total Average over 6000 miles = 57.28 mpg.       Best mpg is 65.59.        Worst mpg is 41.15. 

These numbers are better than my previous Auris 1.8 TS Excel by the way.  Obviously the 1.8 Corolla will make mincemeat of my mpg's but I am well pleased so far.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Good figures, thanks for sharing. 

I’m just about to hit 6,000 miles in my 2.0 TS. My MPG figures are very similar to yours. After a 300 mile holiday trip this week I’ve averaged 58.7mpg - mix of motorways, A roads & town driving. 2 adults, 1 child & a boot full of luggage. Mix of rain & warm humid weather with A/C on. Very impressed with the 2.0, and the car in general. 

I saw 76mpg yesterday after refuelling, which is my record - over 16 miles, although mostly downhill. 

I find I get around 56mpg on average on motorway journeys of 70mph, and up to 63mpg on 50mph A-roads, with 30mph sections. These results are pretty consistent too. 

• Like 2

I'm between 48-49 with a mix of motorway and city over 220 miles. Half a tank of fuel.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2021 at 11:45 AM, bigblock said:

These numbers are better than my previous Auris 1.8 TS Excel by the way.  Obviously the 1.8 Corolla will make mincemeat of my mpg's but I am well pleased so far.

They are not far off my 1.8 Design.  I guess these are also summer figures.  My last run figures, 71 mpg, 79 miles, 41 mph from cold and 64, 76, 37 return. Hard to say why the difference as traffic was heavier outbound.  Monthly average was 65 mpg.  I don't do tank to tank, not least as it use small top ups each time I pass our Shell station (same price as a supermarket and building up to money off offer).

Have started using Shell V power in my 1.8 HB (two tank fulls now), definitely noticing better mpg, averaged 66mpg first 11 mths from new using supermarket regular and now averaging 76mpg after two tanks on the v power (town driving & regular motorway runs). Definitely more calories in the V power (less bioethanol) but I guess I need to average over another 10 mths or so to compare more accurately (winter driving etc). 10mpg extra seems quite high (have read you might expect 2/3 mpg improvement). If true though that more than cancels out the extra cost and you also get the benefit of the extra additives.

Another consideration re mpg is the size of the wheels, I have the 16in; be interesting to know what that saves you in fuel compared against the bigger wheels.

• Like 2

I had filled up Tesco 99 octane E5 to try as been recommended here and seriously the car feels like 2.0 now., I only had a short drive yesterday about 100 miles and can’t comment on efficiency but will check in the next day and see how has been after another refill. The engine is quieter than before, more responsive especially in lower to middle rpm and the car pulls much better. The price is equivalent of bp standard 95 E10 and if the 99 really makes the engine run smoother will most likely stick to it. Interestingly I had v power before but did not notice same performance difference, perhaps because was from the nasty garage that no fuel is good there. 

• Like 1

When I picked up my 2.0 I asked the salesman which fuel to use. Here in Germany E10 is readily available but he said not to bother with it and use E5 (normal unleaded) 

• Like 1

I have now done 3 fills with BP 99 octane 

The car has noticeably better performance, smoothness of running and when the engine comes in I can only tell by the Rev counter movement or the green icon turning off.

I'm getting approximately 52 per gallon. The car has done just over 2000 miles and I'm over the moon with it. 

Ironically, I think my touring sports version handles better than the hatchback version,  both versions are the 2 ltr excel 

• Like 1

Are these all hybrids you lot are doing this with?

I am skeptical high octane petrol would make any difference... do the hybrid IC engines even have calibrations to take advantage of higher octane fuel??

I have tried Momentum 99 in the past and I didn't notice any difference to normal 95 when using it in my Jazz.  However my last 2 cars both had 3 cylinder turbocharged engines and they both registered an improvement with Momentum, they ran and ticked over more smoothly and had better pulling power uphill.  Recently I have been using Esso 95 unleaded but yesterday filled up with Tesco 95.  On the next fill I will give Momentum another try, haven't used it in this car so far.

• Like 1

Yeah, high-octane fuels generally have noticeable benefit for turbo-petrols, as the turbo can put more air in the cylinder without risking knock, increasing power. In fact, modern turbo petrols often waste a LOT of fuel, as they often spray in more fuel than needed (i.e. running rich) to cool the cylinder and avoid knock - This is why they often have much worse mpg than you expect. High octane fuels can help there as the engine will quickly find it doesn't need to !Removed! the timing or spray a cooling charge in.

For NA engines tho', esp. ones optimized for normal fuel, it doesn't usually have any major effect. There are exceptions - I know there are some petrol engines tuned for higher compression ratios - these often need higher octane fuel and get really bad knock or timing retardation if used with normal fuel, but there is no stock Toyota engine tuned like this!

Things like V-Power are often slightly worse on normal engines as they have less energy content than normal petrol (Probably about the same as E10) - They have more cleaning additives taking up space but which don't provide any power (Although can potentially improve engine performance by cleaning out the fuel system and injectors) - Any power improvement is all from the higher octane's knock resistance, allowing timing advance and higher compression ratios. So yeah, I'm a bit skeptical it'd make such a noticeable difference in a hybrid engine!!

Theoretically 99 octane may have no difference to the efficiency and performance on our cars,  however I noticed immediately better pulling power, acceleration especially in low to midrange  rpm and how smoothly the transition from electric to petrol happens, no typical thump , it’s just more pleasant. The car feels lighter and more agile. Same difference between poor quality 95 and good quality 95, previously when filled up at different garages. I will check the consumption tonight and see if anything changes there. I had also the worst experience with 99 octane from another garage, after filling up the engine was shaking, didn’t want to turn off after ignition switched  to off, no power at all and all trouble from bad fuel in general. , my point is that sometimes we really don’t know what’s inside the fuel we fill up. 

• Like 1

My 1.5 3-cyl Focus, 182bhp, definitely ran better on premium fuel.  I am tempted to run the RAV on it as I don't do many miles and they are supposed to have better cleaning additives.

2 hours ago, Sam55 said:

Ironically, I think my touring sports version handles better than the hatchback version,  both versions are the 2 ltr excel 

That will be because the wheel base on the TS is slightly longer compared to the hatchback.

2700mm wheel base on the TS compared to 2640mm on the hatch, the TS should feel slightly more composed / stable on the road compared to the HB version.

Ah, now that I can understand - You can usually tell good quality fuel from bad, even if it is only regular unleaded!

I'd always avoid the Esso near me in my old diesel as their diesel made it run super rough, whereas the sainsburys was much better, and the creme de la creme was the V-Power diesel which made the diesel clatter quieten up and smooth out noticeably! I did notice a loss of torque at the low end, but compensated for by being able to run at higher revs much more smoothly.

Haven't tried any petrol in the Mk4 hybrid yet apart from the sainsburys... everywhere else is well over £1.30! :crybaby:

• Like 1