Do Not Sell My Personal Information

High level brake light bleed (Mk4)

ic2

I know its a first world problem but has anyone else experienced high level red light bleed when they apply the brake? It was not that noticeable when I got the car but now the days are drawing in, its becoming more noticeable, i am just wondering if its missing some edging from around the unit?

I have attached a couple of photos to show better what i mean, one is the brake off then on?

IMG_0395.thumb.jpeg.709d1bea5a876ea319d715a8784dafa8.jpeg

Brakes off

IMG_0396.thumb.jpeg.328b66e517cafa9c5744137fd9d6973a.jpeg

Brakes on

regards

Make sure the housing is clipped in correctly, imho remove that dealer sticker as it may be causing light bleed by refection/refraction - what a place to put a sticker tho. Right in the line of sight

• Like 3

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

Make sure the housing is clipped in correctly, imho remove that dealer sticker as it may be causing light bleed by refection/refraction - what a place to put a sticker tho. Right in the line of sight

Snap! My thoughts exactly when I looked at the first photo!

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

what a place to put a sticker tho. Right in the line of sight

A Steven Eagell dealer sticker.  No further comment needed. 

• Haha 2

I too see a red light bleeding even if I've no sticker close to third stop light.  

But i see it only when I'm in dark places ( eg. garage ) and honestly I don't care.  I think that is not an assembly issue but a design one. 

it needs a bit of foam or rubber trim around the edges where it meets the glass, iirc the LED bar is part of the housing

Thanks all, for now i have put some black electrical tape around the edges and it seems to have done the trick.

regards

4 hours ago, ic2 said:

Thanks all, for now i have put some black electrical tape around the edges and it seems to have done the trick.

regards

Hope it holds up to those summer days in the sun. I'm getting my MK4 next month (hopefully) I may get my designing hat on and 3D print something if it bothers me. 

7 hours ago, ic2 said:

regards

Did you remove the dealer sticker? Is it still as bad without having to mask it off? Personally, I find the (very inobtrusive) slight red "edge" to be a useful reminder (at night) that I am blinding the guy behind when I'm waiting at a level crossing and therefore to put it in "P" and take my foot off the brake!

On 8/22/2021 at 9:55 PM, CPN said:

Did you remove the dealer sticker?

Unfortunately not, its stuck on like poo on a blanket 😀

9 minutes ago, ic2 said:

Heat up with hairdryer and pill slowly, it will do the job. 👍

1 hour ago, ic2 said:

...what Tony said...😉 Do not try and pull it off quickly, you'll leave gum on the glass. Try and use your finger nail to ease one corner up first. If you don't have any nails, use a blunt knife carefully to ease a corner up. Slowly and patiently are the watch words... If any spots of gum are left on the glass, use the sticker you have just pulled off (sticky side to the glass) to dab those spots and rip quickly off. It's the easiest way to remove gum like that. (the heated rear screen elements are solidified conductive paint so you should be ok) That dealer has sh1t for brains putting a sticker up there like that!!! The 100% solution to your problem is to remove that sticker.

• Thanks 1

The longer the sticker is on the window the harder it will be to get off.   Removing stickers is one of the first things I do when I get a new car.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Trewithy said:

The longer the sticker is on the window the harder it will be to get off.   Removing stickers is one of the first things I do when I get a new car.

Snap!! 😁 Mine too...

If you can get one corner you can rub it over with sticky stuff remover (De-Solve-It), you can use a Stanley knife blade making sure the edge is against the glass and some water or glass cleaner as lube if it's stubborn

My go-to for sticky residues are white spirit and meths with paper towel.

Sometimes just one will work but alternating them several times almost never fails (I can't remember that happening, but my memory is not great 🙄 ).

Always finish with a meths run to remove the oily residue that white spirit leaves.

We use Sticky Stuff Remover -

image.thumb.png.77ba7a7e9cdec8be9c8f0e445f2c1d79.png

53 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

We use Sticky Stuff Remover -

image.thumb.png.77ba7a7e9cdec8be9c8f0e445f2c1d79.png

Snap! (again) That's exactly the stuff we use Mike. (but I try to use it as a last resort)