Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Avensis Catalytic converter

Lifeishard20k

Hello , Hope everyone is doing well and good , I've just joined the toyota club and bought myself a Toyota Avensis 2.0VVTI 2006 T25 Petrol Manual, and I'm really enjoying the drive of it , coming from a owner of always buying BMW cars 😂 , I noticed that my father who has owned his Toyota for 15 plus years and never had any problems and in them 15 years I've had to buy and change over 8 times because of problems ......

Now let's get to the point, I was at work and I over heard people talking about catalytic converters getting stolen off cars which got me about scared , so I asked around and they said that alot of cars were I live get stolen , does anyone know that would my car be safe ? Or would I have to fit a cat lock onto it ?....

This proper got me stressing ....

Anyhelp would be appreciated....

Thanks 

I`ve only heard/ read of Toyota and Lexus Hybrids being affected. Never heard of Petrol Avensis being butchered though. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your reply.....oh because I heard someone saying that they took his catalytic converter of a think it was a honda jazz or accord petrol ...so this got me abit worried ...

Any cat is potentially vulnerable but thieves mostly target hybrids or 4x4's (the latter on account of ground clearance). An Avensis would be extremely low risk.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Your car has a catalytic convertor so is vulnerable but it wether the thieves want it. It will be dirty inside and hybrid cars particularly are cleaner (as the engine does not run as much), so they go for the cleaner ones. It’s the precious metals inside cat converters they are after.

• Thanks 1

Your car/model is less of a target for cat' thieves, because as Joe has explained above, there are other cars that are preferred targets. 

What you need to concern yourself more, is that your car is not suitable to be used with E10 fuel! You have the 2.0 1AZ direct injection engine which is affected, the other is the 2.4 2AZ engine.

https://check-vehicle-compatibility-e10-petrol.service.gov.uk/manufacturer/Toyota

Hope you are aware.

• Like 1

A petrol 2016 avensis had it's catalytic converter stolen near me earlier this year (known not hearsay).  I wonder if the thief thought it was an auris or just wasn't that bright.  As others have said avensis is unlikely to be targeted but pretty much any car is a possibility.  Auris is known to be valuable, avensis has a catalytic converter!

11 hours ago, Willss said:

A petrol 2016 avensis had it's catalytic converter stolen near me earlier this year (known not hearsay).  I wonder if the thief thought it was an auris or just wasn't that bright.  As others have said avensis is unlikely to be targeted but pretty much any car is a possibility.  Auris is known to be valuable, avensis has a catalytic converter!

I suspect the latter. 'Duh its a Toyota, cat must be worth lots of money.....'

You dont need to pass any exams to be a thief.

• Like 1

Just wanted to know, does a diesel have a cat conv too? 1.6 d4d fyi

57 minutes ago, essldn said:

Just wanted to know, does a diesel have a cat conv too? 1.6 d4d fyi

You shouldn't need to worry since the diesel convertor is engine bay between the radiators and engine block. It is total inaccessible, with removing the front and the turbo. It's safe to say your car is way down on the list. Thieves want things fast and easy and not spend any extra time, when they will go for something far more easier.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, diesels are all safe - They don't use Rhodium in diesel catalysts, just palladium and platinum, and it's rhodium that's the big money earner that they're after (It hit nearly 25kUSD per *ounce* at one point! For context, Platinum and Palladium are usually around 1K and 2K!). Diesel cats are also usually sooty AF and if all the demonizing is to be believed, anyone nicking them would probably die of lung cancer pretty quick anyway!

For some added joy, I've also heard that some manufacturers are thinking of using AdBlue systems in petrol cars so they don't need the expensive rhodium catalysts any more - The rhodium's job is to break down NOx emissions, which is what AdBlue does in diesel so I can see their reasoning (Diesels can't use Rhodium catalysts as they have too much oxygen in the exhaust for the catalyst reaction to work compared to petrol exhaust), but frankly I'd not touch that with a barge pole...

• Like 1