Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Test drive on Tuesday.

Toonmal

Hi folks, newbie here. I've got a test drive with a CHR on Tuesday. Subject to that being OK, the only thing that concerns me, is the problems I've read on here regarding the Battery going flat.

I don't do high mileage, normally just short journeys every day, but always try and do one journey a week of about 50 miles.

So, the question is, need I be concerned about the Battery problems, or is it just an unlucky few?

Thanks

Mal

5 minutes ago, Toonmal said:

I think you need to be aware rather than worried.  Over the last year there has been lots of discussion which has meant that many of us have improved our knowledge.  The battery is smaller than on pure ICE cars but in the normal course of events normal car usage means the battery is frequently recharged.  The first lockdown caused lots of problems that really emerged later in the year.  One thing your salesman is not going to do it tell you how to solve a problem.

The recommended solution by Toyota is to put the car into READY mode for an hour once a week if not otherwise driven.  This does not mean the engine is running for an hour but it will start and stop several times to keep the drive battery charged.  That battery will, in turn, recharge the 12v services battery.

If you do experience a flat battery, especially if it occurs more than once, then get it seen to by the dealer.

I have had no issues since a battery change and am aware that I might have an issue if it is in an airport car park for 2 weeks.

• Like 1

Don't fret about what you see on the internet as all that is ever posted on the internet is faults.  Toyota is still in the top 3 for reliability.

• Like 2

Hi Mal, and welcome to the TOC forum.  As Roy said the 12v batteries in hybrids are small. They do not have a “standard” seater motor to turn so do not need a lot of power so why provide a bigger more expensive heavy Battery. Having said that especially during the lockdown starting March 2020 cars in general were being used less. Then came the cold winter and that caused a lot of flat batteries due to lack of use. Your weekly 50 mile run will help the situation but regular short journeys will not, there is not enough time in a short run for the system to recharge what has been used most times. Hence what Roy described as the Toyota method of dealing with the problem. The 12v Battery can go flat through any inactive period, not just cold snaps.       
We have 2 hybrids, both have had flat batteries due to lack of use. We have used our Start Rescue policy couple times, but if you keeping calling for the same problem a clause will kick in such they won’t cover frequent calls-same problem.  So, initially I bought a rechargeable Battery pack similar size as a larger mobile phone, with it crocodile clips to connect across the battery terminals of charging point. Works fine, cost now probably circa £40.  It January I decided we should have a slow charging battery charger. Popular with TOC members was a CTEK 5 which can recharge and recondition batteries such they perform better and last longer. Cost circa £69. So will charge the battery about Nov and the couple times through winter, and then late spring.I confident that will keep our cars on top of the problem.

I have adopted both of Cats suggestions.  My Battery pack is without doubt one of the smartest pieces of kit you could imagine. It has a 4 way USB cable, a spot light and 4 charge LED.  Each represents 25% LED charge, 2 reds less than 50%.  2 reds 2 blues, more than 75%.  I got it about 3 months ago, still 4 LED. We will be parked up for 2 weeks in March so that will give me piece of mind. 

As Cat says, we have Toyota Rescue (AA).  In my opinion, frequent call outs is Toyotas problem not yours.  After one call out and 3 flat batteries they fitted a higher capacity Battery, 15% more, and no quibbles. 

I too have the CTEK MX5 charger, highly recommended.  I have the Battery wired and simply plug the charger in.  It is wall mounted in my garage.  

As I said, don't worry, just be aware, and no need to adopt our belt and braces until you experience it yourself. 

As for why you get a flat Battery, we suspect there is a high standing load.  Suspects are the alarm system if armed, the Toyota server handshakes, the key handshake although there are suggestions that the key goes to sleep if it isn't moved. The car still has to listen for the key. 

Thanks for all the replies folks, much appreciated :-) If I get one, I think the Battery charge pack will be added to my list :-)

It seems like your excited, keep us posted on how it goes. 

I went for my test drive today, it was a 1.8 CHR, and I was suitably impressed. Unfortunately, the online Toyota  p/ex valuation was nowhere near what they offered me today, so it's a 'no deal'. Thanks for all your help anyway

Mal

2 hours ago, Toonmal said:

I went for my test drive today, it was a 1.8 CHR, and I was suitably impressed. Unfortunately, the online Toyota  p/ex valuation was nowhere near what they offered me today, so it's a 'no deal'. Thanks for all your help anyway

Mal

Used car prices are higher than ever currently, there is a huge demand for used cars and selling privately may earn you a good money. If it’s me I will probably go that way and then purchase the new car without any part ex involved. 
Good luck 👍

3 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Used car prices are higher than ever currently, there is a huge demand for used cars and selling privately may earn you a good money. If it’s me I will probably go that way and then purchase the new car without any part ex involved. 
Good luck 👍

The dealer said they were offering better than ever. However, my online valuation (I was honest with the condition of my car), was 4k more than the dealer offered today. I was going to buy the sport model in the showroom, delivery next week, but our valuations didn't even get down to negotiation. Ah well  :-(

• Thanks 1

What online sites did you use?  Wbac and all those give inflated prices that you never get in real life.

Our dealer told us they use the British Car Auction site as that's where it will end up if they can't sell it.  

They offered me a grand less than wbac quoted but the monthlies worked out so I wasn't that bothered.

Re  WBAC, I would be surprised if any one got what they initially quote. Why?  You have to present your car for an inspection, their is £50 admin charge, they will fine tooth comb your car and find as many blemishes and faults as possible and knock down their initial offer.  I have never used WBAC to sell my car, but i needed to sell my Yaris quickly as in one day, so went to local car sales pitch, told them what I wanted and why, used WBAC price, got £100 more out of dealer, he drove me home to give him 2nd key, job done in one afternoon. It was a lovely condition Yaris. He had sold it with 2 weeks, window price £1000 more then he give me.

• Like 2

A lot depends on wether the dealer needs to sell you a car to meet quotas.  For the missus Yaris they needed to sell it so gave us an excellent deal

I used the Stoneacre Toyota valuation. Even today, it's showing more than the dealer offered !

5 hours ago, Catlover said:

I have never used WBAC to sell my car, but i needed to sell my Yaris quickly as in one day, so went to local car sales pitch, told them what I wanted and why, used WBAC price, got £100 more out of dealer,

done similar for my last 2 Avensis.

So I guess the monthlies didn't work with what you were prepared to put in as deposit?  I used the Toyota dealer website also and it gave me an inflated figure.  Salesman couldnt say why, but I wasnt bothered as the monthlies worked.

10 hours ago, Yugguy1970 said:

What online sites did you use?  Wbac and all those give inflated prices that you never get in real life.

Our dealer told us they use the British Car Auction site as that's where it will end up if they can't sell it.  

BCA own WBAC.

We did try WBAC when selling one car, but when we turned up at the site, nobody was in - this was a Tuesday. We sold it to a local branch of Arnold Clark for £600 more than the initial WBAC quote - absolutely no quibble.

• Like 2

Try Motorway, I sold my Focus through them in June. Got about £1k more than the WBAC quote and they collect the car from your house, no quibbling over stone chips and no admin fees. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I'm using Motorway as well.

My local Toyota dealer offered me £8K for my Fiesta, but I got £8.5K from Motorway.

I should get my 2019 Lime Edition C-HR on Monday. Quite excited by the thought, tinged with a bit of concern about the Battery.

I eventually got a 21 reg CHR Design.   Had her for nearly 3 months now, and no probs with the Battery :-)

• Like 1