Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Crappy speakers in all Toyotas?

nielshm

I have just returned a Yaris after a full week. The car was a replacement since my own Corolla was in the garage for a paint job. 

My own Corolla does'nt have great Speakers, and the Yaris even worse. Some how I get used to it, and does'nt notice it to much. 

Two days ago I was briefly in a friends Suzuki S-cross. He turned on the radio, and I was blown away by rich and full sound from the stock Speakers. Toyotas sound is nothing in compared to this cheap Suzuki, and what a shame. 

What is gained in upgrading the Speakers? Is the speakers the main problem, or is it the headunit not capable of delivering input in a proper quality? 

The Prius Gen3 I had was with Toyota “standard” Speakers and they were ok. When I changed to a Prius Gen4 I wanted the 10 speaker JBL system only in the Excel. Completely different sound and I very happy with the sound….. my hearing is not perfect (I wear an aid in each ear) so I don’t see the point in spending hundreds or even thousands on speaker systems. But if someone is a fan of quality sound I can appreciate why they want to change things about.

• Like 2

Cat, quite agree, and honestly when I have to increase audio volume to 35 when motoring I don't think any fidelity is going to overcome tyre noise. 

Same programme at lower speed is quite audible at 18-20.

• Like 1

I don't care about volume levels, but in the Suzuki I could hear details in the music I never knew existed. 

I just dont find Toyota Speakers to be clear and crisp. They put out sound, and that's about it. 

My point about volume levels, and deaf heads, is that vehicle noise far outweighs speaker quality.  I mentioned the numbers as indicative of inherent background noise. 

• Like 1

I agree with you Niels. Had an Auris and a CHR before this Corolla. I have found there was no improvement from the Auris to Corolla but the CHR was slightly better. In the Corolla I listen to Talk Sport and I always have the volume between 25 and 35.👍

It could be funny to try out the Suzuki Swace, and see if it's different in terms of stereo and sound quality. 

Speakers are a minor part that Suzuki could replace with another brand they prefer. 

2 hours ago, Bob110023 said:

I agree with you Niels. Had an Auris and a CHR before this Corolla. I have found there was no improvement from the Auris to Corolla but the CHR was slightly better. In the Corolla I listen to Talk Sport and I always have the volume between 25 and 35.👍

Talksport is better when you can't hear it! 🙂

• Haha 1

we got JBL system in our Prius 2018 PHV and they sounds clearly audible better than the standard Speakers in our Prius + (and in our former Auris)

I listen at volume 6-8 max, and most of the time the radio is even off 🤫🤐🙅🏻‍♂️for some reason I enjoy quietness when driving  and to listen the sounds of high rpm of the electric motors plus the regenerative braking sound when slowing down. For the Speakers they sound ok to me, the poor quality sound may come from the head unit itself, but you can try with upgraded Speakers first. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

I listen at volume 6-8 max, and most of the time the radio is even off 🤫🤐🙅🏻‍♂️for some reason I enjoy quietness when driving  and to listen the sounds of high rpm of the electric motors plus the regenerative braking sound when slowing down. For the speakers they sound ok to me, the poor quality sound may come from the head unit itself, but you can try with upgraded speakers first. 

As "Catlover" says , I think theres a quite big differences with JBL compared to standard Speakers (got JBL in or PHV Prius and standard in our Prius +)

• Thanks 1

Yeah as a music lover, that's what I also notice when I first drove mine. its not that bad but its not great.

I swapped the head unit in my starlet out for a newer jvc model and the sound went from crackly to crystal clear, it makes much better use of the stock speakers than the old headunit