Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MPG

Jessicab

Hello I was wondering if anyone could help I'm looking at getting a cheap run around but would like one with good mpg I have been having a look online and it says you can get 50mpg from and Aygo. I was wondering if that was true or if anyone could tell me roughly what mpg they get?

Thanks 

New car, low consumption or cheap car and low consumption? 

Hi Jessica, and welcome to TOC and it’s forum.

Aygos are popular car generally and on this forum.  We had a Citroen C1 in 2006, a year or two after they first came out. Depending on how you drive, and the terrain you covering you should be able to get over 50mpg. 
Dod you know that the Aygo, Citroen C1, and Peugeot 107 are built in the same factory in Czechia, part of former Czechoslovakia, so that opens your options up especially if there is a dealership near to you for servicing or parts etc. Usually cheap to run, insure, etc.   Be very careful you do NOT buy one that has a MMT gearbox. It’s a form of automatic gearbox. Actually it is a standard manual gearbox with arms operated electronically that change gear for you. A nightmare when they go wrong which is often. Very costly to repair. If you looking at a new car, I understand the auto box is different to MMT and is ok.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Roy would be a new car low consumption it will just be a second car so looking for something with good fuel consumption. 

46 minutes ago, Catlover said:

If you looking at a new car, I understand the auto box is different to MMT and is ok.

That's incorrect, even the 2021 Aygo "automatic" is the same MMT as it always has been (same gearbox as on the manual but with software controlled actuators for the clutch and gearshift).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a 2021 manual and easily manage greater than 50 mpg.

33 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

That's incorrect, even the 2021 Aygo "automatic" is the same MMT as it always has been (same gearbox as on the manual but with software controlled actuators for the clutch and gearshift).

Is it any better, the same, or worse.

So it seems, Jessica, you give MMT a wide berth. We had a manual and it was a fun car to drive.

As you can see (from the Fuelly Banner below), I'm getting 59 - 61 MPG on my Gen 1 Aygo.

MPG is determined by a number of factors:

1. How many passenger you are carrying - I use this car for food delivery, therefore most of the time is just one (myself).  As a general rule, the heavier the car, the worst the mileage. 

2. City driving vs Motorway.  I drive mostly in the City.  There are a few people getting 64-73 MPG by driving mostly on Motorways.

3. Engine temperature - until the engine fully warms up, the car will uses more petrol.

4. Air Conditioning - for best MPG, try to avoid using them.  I do switch on mine once in a while to ensure oil get circulated at the AC compressor (preventing seal cracks thereby preventing refrigerant to leak) but only when I'm driving down hill.

5. Tire pressure and wheel alignment.

6. Most importantly your driving style - i.e. How fast is your acceleration?   Are you one of those push all the way to 30 mpg even 100 yards ahead there are red lights?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Catlover said:

Is it any better, the same, or worse.

The same - same gearbox, same actuators and same (weird) software.

I don't think anyone has picked up on the point that you are looking at a new car.  

As a run around, presumably local journeys, you can expect to be running on Battery for much of the time.  The car will initially run its petrol engine until it is warmed up.  This till also top up the hybrid Battery and downhill grades and braking will also top it up.  The ICE will cut in and out as the drive Battery is emptied and then topped up.

The only problem you might experience if you are mainly on local running is the 12v battery might not get enough charge.  A battery charger at home can overcome this.

My Corolla achieves over 60 mpg in summer and high 50s in winter.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, PetrolDave said:

The same - same gearbox, same actuators and same (weird) software.

Have you had any problems with yours.

Very important rule: manual you can buy an Aygo and get 50mpg and more , take into account the factors mentioned above., looking for automatic better buy Yaris hybrid or any Toyota hybrid, these are best and most efficient automatics. 👍 

• Like 2

Tony is so right, Jessica. If you can push yourself to a Toyota hybrid you won’t be disappointed, even a Quality used one. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Tony is so right, Jessica. If you can push yourself to a Toyota hybrid you won’t be disappointed, even a Quality used one. 

Only problem is:  Be sure to install a Catalytic Converter Cage + Shield if you want a Toyota Hybrid.  Or make sure one is already installed.

Aygo rarely get their Cat stolen because It is hard to get to - part of the Exhaust manifold at the front of the engine.   To steal it, you'll need to pop the hood, cut at least 4 pipes whiles something else could be stuck or bolted...   So thieves generally do not target them.

Hybrid however,  Cat is usually located at the bottom, cut 2 pipes and the Cat is gone.  Furthermore, the fact that hybrid does not always switch on the engine means the Cat is pretty clean.  Clean Cat = more precious metal = more value = lovely target.

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

I don't think anyone has picked up on the point that you are looking at a new car.  

As a run around, presumably local journeys, you can expect to be running on battery for much of the time.  The car will initially run its petrol engine until it is warmed up.  This till also top up the hybrid battery and downhill grades and braking will also top it up.  The ICE will cut in and out as the drive battery is emptied and then topped up.

The only problem you might experience if you are mainly on local running is the 12v battery might not get enough charge.  A battery charger at home can overcome this.

My Corolla achieves over 60 mpg in summer and high 50s in winter.

The OP has indicated she is looking at the Aygo, which is non-hybrid, so the above wouldn't apply.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vandals01 said:

Only problem is:  Be sure to install a Catalytic Converter Cage + Shield if you want a Toyota Hybrid.  Or make sure one is already installed.

Aygo rarely get their Cat stolen because It is hard to get to - part of the Exhaust manifold at the front of the engine.   To steal it, you'll need to pop the hood, cut at least 4 pipes whiles something else could be stuck or bolted...   So thieves generally do not target them.

Hybrid however,  Cat is usually located at the bottom, cut 2 pipes and the Cat is gone.  Furthermore, the fact that hybrid does not always switch on the engine means the Cat is pretty clean.  Clean Cat = more precious metal = more value = lovely target.

You are correct, however the thieves are now targeting any Toyota that has an easy access to the catalytic converter plus they don’t take these only because been hybrid has more metals in, but because that is what they get more money for and these are ultra easy to cut and take. Yaris hybrids has no issues with catalytic converters , Auris and Priuses has. 👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Catlover said:

Have you had any problems with yours.

No. I tend to drive it in manual mode as in auto (Easy) mode it tends to change gear at times I don't want - too slow changing down when I can see a hill ahead, but too changes down too many gear when overtaking.

3 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

You are correct, however the thieves are now targeting any Toyota that has an easy access to the catalytic converter

On the Aygo the cat is right close to the exhaust manifold under the bonnet so gaining access required opening or forcing the bonnet  - which makes the process of cutting out the cat take longer so it's far more likely that the cat thieves will move on to another easier target.

Just now, PetrolDave said:

Was driving our Toyota engined Peugeot 108 today and that is doing over 50 mpg, to be fair it always been over 50 mpg when I be bothered to check in the 4 years we owned it and that's doing mainly local town driving. Personally I never been that over fussed with mpg, other factors like reliability, road tax, insurance, servicing costs more important for me and on all those points both our 107 and 108 been spot on. 

• Like 2

I will have to disagree. The MMT is an absolute hoot to drive and so much more fun as you’re not having to press the clutch pedal all the time.

Treat an MMT as a manual (which it is) and you’ll not go far wrong - and when it does go bang (and it will) invest in the Toyota Extended Warranty. 

• Like 1