Do Not Sell My Personal Information

PCU Coolant Reservoir

Grompix

This is probably just paranoia on my part... 
Inspecting the engine bay to decide whether the Toyota dealer that recently sold me my 2020 Yaris Excel really had serviced the car properly before the sale. It's logged as serviced with Toyota online but the dealer never stamped the service book.
I have found a whole list of things that were missing or neglected on the car since delivery and I am now wondering if I have indeed found something else. 
Scrutinising the Power Control Unit coolant reservoir in my car, it appears to have two 'levels' of fluid (see attached pics).
Is this normal for a new(ish) Yaris? The picture of the Prius PCU reservoir doesn't seem to have the same 'problem' although another picture of a 2021 Yaris engine bay looks the same as mine.
Comparing the first picture with the manual - my reservoir looks like it has the correct amount of fluid - but has it?
Can anyone reassure me over this?
...and maybe explain the apparent appearance of two levels of fluid.
Thanks
Chris 😉      

1.PCU Manual1.jpg

2.PCU_103957.jpg

3.PCU_081200 .jpg

4.2017_toyota_priusPCU.jpg

5.2021YarisHybrid.jpg

The 'fuller' part has the hose connection, so I'd guess it's a syphon compartment so the hose doesn't get air in it at low liquid levels.

The Prius one has the hose connection lower down, but will get 'aired' at a less low level.

(So why not fit the hose in the bottom? Dirt ingestion and/or convenient hose fitting/routing at a guess.)

43 minutes ago, Grompix said:

This is probably just paranoia on my part... 

I'd say that you were spot on there Chris! 😉 I'd also say that Mike is probably 100% correct in his assessment. i.e. that's a separate compartment that is always full with no air space for a reason. Nothing to worry about. It is also clear that you don't have any trust in your dealer which is sad really...

I find it hard to check the radiator coolant, it's almost impossible to see.

You mentoned that many things were missing when it was delivered, what else?

On 8/22/2021 at 3:35 PM, MikeSh said:

The 'fuller' part has the hose connection, so I'd guess it's a syphon compartment so the hose doesn't get air in it at low liquid levels. The Prius one has the hose connection lower down, but will get 'aired' at a less low level.

On 8/22/2021 at 4:06 PM, CPN said:

I'd say that you were spot on there Chris! 😉 I'd also say that Mike is probably 100% correct in his assessment. i.e. that's a separate compartment that is always full with no air space for a reason. Nothing to worry about. It is also clear that you don't have any trust in your dealer which is sad really...

18 hours ago, Mikw said:

You mentoned that many things were missing when it was delivered, what else?

Thanks chaps, the higher hose connection probably is the reason and I am a bit paranoid! 
But not without some cause - see below in answer to Mikw: - 

This could be a long story but I’ll try to keep it succinct…

I was involved in a car smash with a dim-sighted white van man back in June. This wrote off my 7yr old Mk3 Yaris Excel Hybrid and left me quite seriously ‘hors de combat’ with multiple rib fractures. My Dashcam proved I was not at fault and my insurance company paid up promptly (and generously I have to say - Direct Line). I needed/wanted  a replacement vehicle ASAP but could not get about or test drive anything for some weeks. So I tried car search-engines such as CarWow, AutoTrader and Discount New Cars. These proved pretty easy to use and gave quick results but did not prevent traders from trying out scams such as claiming to have mythical vehicles in stock and then attempting to switch your choice to a car they did have - even a different make entirely in some cases!     

I wanted a Mk4 Yaris Excel, Panoramic Roof - same as the one I had - but obviously a new version - and I was picky on specific colours. I would even buy new - at a push. But amazingly nothing available.

…until AutoTrader pointed me to Toyota Birmingham selling a Sept 2020 Decuma Grey Yaris Excel ex-demonstrator with 8600 miles. Not exactly my first choice of colour but I thought - what the heck!

Negotiation over the telephone went through OK. I dismissed the usual 'essential' extras for GAP insurance and ceramic coatings etc. They would deliver the car to my home address in Northumberland and throw in a space-saving spare wheel. Bingo!

The rest of the communications for the sale was by e-mail - which is turning out quite nicely as I have written evidence of who said what - when.

The car turned up on time, driven by the actual sales-person who negotiated the deal. He did not stop for a polite chat or refreshment but handed me the keys and a plastic wallet stuffed with papers and hastily climbed into his mate’s car for the return journey. Bit funny that I thought!

It was a while later that I started to realise that certain things were missing - namely: -

1. No pre-delivery check-list / information - even though I had asked for such.

2. The service book was not filled in or stamped - just a blank unused book.

3. Logging on to Toyota UK online, I found that a major/maintenance service was indeed noted as carried out on 30/06/2021 but no details (see ‘1.’ above).

4. Toyota UK online also states that a repair to my car, particularly replacement of the N/S/F tyre, was undertaken on 15/04/2021 and 26/02/2021 (why two different dates?) - but no details and this was not mentioned in the sale (also refer to ‘1’ above).   

5. Noticed stains on the car seats and door panels (not heavy stains but noticeable) - these were removed with two or three applications of car interior shampoo - but this should not have been required on a newly delivered car.

6. Car jack missing - empty space in the boot wall where the jack should be. The space-saving spare wheel and tools had been agreed in the sale. But try changing a wheel by the roadside without a jack!

7. The original tyre repair-kit that came with the car (with the pneumatic pump) was missing. No instructions were given to replace the original tyre repair kit with the space-saving spare wheel. The car should still have had the tyre repair kit.

8. Recently I needed to top-up the air pressure in the N/S/F passenger tyre. Borrowed a pneumatic pump. Discovered that the 12v Lighter socket did not work - no power from the socket.  

9. Checked Lighter Socket fuse in case the pump had blown the fuse. Fuse-box lid was loose, tied to the footwell wiring with a plastic cable-tie. Not fitted where it should be.

10. The 12v 15A Lighter Socket fuse was entirely missing! Concluded the car been fitted with a dash-cam at the dealership. Someone had carelessly removed the dash-cam without replacing the fuse (or the fuse-box lid)?

11. Latest finding is low voltage from the 12v Battery - despite charging with the car on the drive in ‘Ready’ mode. Appears I have a duff 12v Battery too. That can be rectified under warranty I suppose - but yet another unsatisfactory item to add to the growing list.

Now, any one of these findings could just be put down to haste or other forms of human error and circumvented / ignored. Life goes on. Which is what I had in mind when first finding the unstamped service book, then I discovered the lack of a PDC/PDI and later the upholstery and door stains.  When such things accumulate, it starts to point to essential methods of working that definitely do not appear to be appropriate in the customer-care department of the dealership concerned. Some of these errors border on dangerous incompetence.

All this has cost me considerable time, trouble and some expense. It has certainly dampened my initial enthusiasm for the car and the whole experience of dealing with Toyota Birmingham. So I expressed my concerns to the general manager of the dealership as well as to the original salesperson.

The GM never replied but the salesperson offered to reimburse me for a car-jack if I sent copies of the receipts. To date, no reimbursement has appeared and he now informs me he has left the business and will hand my dispute over to someone else!

You just couldn’t make it up!

If anyone on this forum is considering dealing with Steven Eagell Toyota Birmingham then all I can say is a very loud CAVEAT EMPTOR!

Chris :(  

Sorry about your troubles Chris, hope you get them resolved. It would appear that Toyota would prefer customers to use their on line servicing record then service books.  When I part exchanged my Gen 3 Prius for the Gen4 I passed over a fully stamped up Service Book.  When I got home with the Gen4 and checking through all the paperwork I received I did not see a Service Book. I contacted the sales man I dealt with but got no where, so I emailed the dealer Principle. He apologised and got a brand new service book stamped up to date sent me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, john p williams said:

That report spells trouble for the S/E/ Group.

I suggest you write (email)  https://www.ceoemail.com/s.php?id=ceo-86609

Please keep us all posted.

Many thanks for that link John.
I didn't know a group like that even existed. I will indeed make use of their services.
Since I paid the deposit for my car on my credit card,  I am currently in the process of invoking Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 by claiming back expenses accumulated.
I will certainly keep this forum updated with my progress. 
Chris 🙂 

Just now, Grompix said:

Many thanks for that link John.
I didn't know a group like that even existed. I will indeed make use of their services.
Since I paid the deposit for my car on my credit card,  I am currently in the process of invoking Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 by claiming back expenses accumulated.
I will certainly keep this forum updated with my progress. 
Chris 🙂 

Chris, There have been several reports of SE  Group poor performances on the Lexus Owners Forum too.

I have started a thread over there.

Time for ***** to be kicked me thinks!

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, john p williams said:

Chris, There have been several reports of SE  Group poor performances on the Lexus Owners Forum too.

I have started a thread over there.

Time for ***** to be kicked me thinks!

and why not…. More then a few complaints on here for some time now about SE

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Grompix said:

Thanks chaps, the higher hose connection probably is the reason and I am a bit paranoid! 

I was involved in a car smash with a dim-sighted white van man back in June. This wrote off my 7yr old Mk3 Yaris Excel Hybrid and left me quite seriously ‘hors de combat’ with multiple rib fractures. My dashcam proved I was not at fault and my insurance company paid up promptly (and generously I have to say - Direct Line). I needed/wanted  a replacement vehicle ASAP but could not get about or test drive anything for some weeks. So I tried car search-engines such as CarWow, AutoTrader and Discount New Cars. These proved pretty easy to use and gave quick results but did not prevent traders from trying out scams such as claiming to have mythical vehicles in stock and then attempting to switch your choice to a car they did have - even a different make entirely in some cases!     

I wanted a Mk4 Yaris Excel, Panoramic Roof - same as the one I had - but obviously a new version - and I was picky on specific colours. I would even buy new - at a push. But amazingly nothing available.

…until AutoTrader pointed me to Toyota Birmingham selling a Sept 2020 Decuma Grey Yaris Excel ex-demonstrator with 8600 miles. Not exactly my first choice of colour but I thought - what the heck!

Negotiation over the telephone went through OK. I dismissed the usual 'essential' extras for GAP insurance and ceramic coatings etc. They would deliver the car to my home address in Northumberland and throw in a space-saving spare wheel. Bingo!

The rest of the communications for the sale was by e-mail - which is turning out quite nicely as I have written evidence of who said what - when.

The car turned up on time, driven by the actual sales-person who negotiated the deal. He did not stop for a polite chat or refreshment but handed me the keys and a plastic wallet stuffed with papers and hastily climbed into his mate’s car for the return journey. Bit funny that I thought!

It was a while later that I started to realise that certain things were missing - namely: -

3. Logging on to Toyota UK online, I found that a major/maintenance service was indeed noted as carried out on 30/06/2021 but no details (see ‘1.’ above).

4. Toyota UK online also states that a repair to my car, particularly replacement of the N/S/F tyre, was undertaken on 15/04/2021 and 26/02/2021 (why two different dates?) - but no details and this was not mentioned in the sale (also refer to ‘1’ above).   

5. Noticed stains on the car seats and door panels (not heavy stains but noticeable) - these were removed with two or three applications of car interior shampoo - but this should not have been required on a newly delivered car.

6. Car jack missing - empty space in the boot wall where the jack should be. The space-saving spare wheel and tools had been agreed in the sale. But try changing a wheel by the roadside without a jack!

7. The original tyre repair-kit that came with the car (with the pneumatic pump) was missing. No instructions were given to replace the original tyre repair kit with the space-saving spare wheel. The car should still have had the tyre repair kit.

8. Recently I needed to top-up the air pressure in the N/S/F passenger tyre. Borrowed a pneumatic pump. Discovered that the 12v Lighter socket did not work - no power from the socket.  

9. Checked Lighter Socket fuse in case the pump had blown the fuse. Fuse-box lid was loose, tied to the footwell wiring with a plastic cable-tie. Not fitted where it should be.

10. The 12v 15A Lighter Socket fuse was entirely missing! Concluded the car been fitted with a dash-cam at the dealership. Someone had carelessly removed the dash-cam without replacing the fuse (or the fuse-box lid)?

11. Latest finding is low voltage from the 12v battery - despite charging with the car on the drive in ‘Ready’ mode. Appears I have a duff 12v battery too. That can be rectified under warranty I suppose - but yet another unsatisfactory item to add to the growing list.

Now, any one of these findings could just be put down to haste or other forms of human error and circumvented / ignored. Life goes on. Which is what I had in mind when first finding the unstamped service book, then I discovered the lack of a PDC/PDI and later the upholstery and door stains.  When such things accumulate, it starts to point to essential methods of working that definitely do not appear to be appropriate in the customer-care department of the dealership concerned. Some of these errors border on dangerous incompetence.

All this has cost me considerable time, trouble and some expense. It has certainly dampened my initial enthusiasm for the car and the whole experience of dealing with Toyota Birmingham. So I expressed my concerns to the general manager of the dealership as well as to the original salesperson.

The GM never replied but the salesperson offered to reimburse me for a car-jack if I sent copies of the receipts. To date, no reimbursement has appeared and he now informs me he has left the business and will hand my dispute over to someone else!

If anyone on this forum is considering dealing with Steven Eagell Toyota Birmingham then all I can say is a very loud CAVEAT EMPTOR!

If you haven't already leave a negative Google review (( can always be corrected if/once they correct their issues ) and Contact Toyota customer relations detailing the lack of response form the dealerships GM 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Toyota Birmingham fobbed me off about a couple of warranty enquiries last year claiming they wouldn't be covered. I visited another dealer who put the warranty claims straight through with no quibble at all.

When I contacted Birmingham for further details of why, no response. Will never deal with them again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Grompix said:

I was involved in a car smash with a dim-sighted white van man back in June. This wrote off my 7yr old Mk3 Yaris Excel Hybrid and left me quite seriously ‘hors de combat’ with multiple rib fractures. My dashcam proved I was not at fault and my insurance company paid up promptly (and generously I have to say - Direct Line). I needed/wanted  a replacement vehicle ASAP but could not get about or test drive anything for some weeks. So I tried car search-engines such as CarWow, AutoTrader and Discount New Cars. These proved pretty easy to use and gave quick results but did not prevent traders from trying out scams such as claiming to have mythical vehicles in stock and then attempting to switch your choice to a car they did have - even a different make entirely in some cases!     

11. Latest finding is low voltage from the 12v battery - despite charging with the car on the drive in ‘Ready’ mode. Appears I have a duff 12v battery too. That can be rectified under warranty I suppose - but yet another unsatisfactory item to add to the growing list.

Blimey, that's a sorry tale of woe, i feel for you. Thanks for taking time out to list all that, that must've taken hours to write, it's that bad.

Hope you get it all sorted and can enjoy the car at last.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Mikw said:

Blimey, that's a sorry tale of woe, i feel for you. Thanks for taking time out to list all that, that must've taken hours to write, it's that bad.

Hope you get it all sorted and can enjoy the car at last.

Thanks Mikw.
It didn't take very long to write as I've drafted the list of woes in various formats over the past few weeks in sending out my complaints.
Just a matter of cut and paste with some alterations for context.
Disconcertingly, the list does appear to grow longer however...
😉👍 

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

If you haven't already leave a negative Google review (( can always be corrected if/once they correct their issues ) and Contact Toyota customer relations detailing the lack of response form the dealerships GM 

Yes, I did initially leave a positive review on Trustpilot but later edited it in the light of subsequent events. Trustpilot did not publish the edit. The picture below is the only thing that has shown on Trustpilot for several weeks now. I will write another (new) one though.
As you suggest, I do intend leaving a few reviews dotted about on sites like Trustpilot, in the hope that it will arm some people with a warning about Birmingham Toyota.    

TrustPilot.JPG

You can leave a fair (+/-) review on google maps, many people use the app to locate business for a first time and read the reviews there. I know dealers are a game of luck., more than half of the time is a bad luck unfortunately.  When buying a used car even 1 month old, as long as it has more than 20 miles on the clock physical inspection in person is must do thing IMO. Once I returned a car to the same dealer different location for a repairs worth £1000 that were part of the deal and they did not do it, sorry to all good men involved in the trade but most of the car dealers are negatively named for a good reasons. Hopefully they will reimburse something and help you out. 
Good luck 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/23/2021 at 4:35 PM, Grompix said:

Another tale of woe about main stealers Grompix, don't be too hard on yourself, we too bought a Yaris from a main stealers, RRG Huddersfield from a personal walk around video and  because of lock down had it delivered, again the salesman made a hasty retreat,  we too found a few faults, only one key and no service record, we raised a lot of gripes about the unmentioned painting of various parts of the car that we found, we did reject the car after finding fault after fault, but ended up keeping it as they refused to come and collect it, they insisted that it was at our expense to bring  the car back and find our own way home. We did get a duplicate service record and a second key eventually, but I will never buy again from any main stealer again, you would probably get better service from a small garage depending on the cars age. Moral of the story is TRUST NO ONE and check everything, then check again, had I have seen this Yaris in the flesh some problems were obvious,  and some problems we found were not all obvious until you get up close and personal and give the car a wash and polish yourself, not a car wash and not with a jet wash either, feel for overspray or an obvious masking line, sorry I've had my gripe again.

• Like 3