Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo automatic runs out of control

Joseph Busuttil

My Aygo automatic runs out of control when I start the engine.  this happens often but not all the time.  Why?

Please explain what exactly you mean by "runs out of control"?

• Like 1

As above, more detail is needed.

Are the engine revs too high? Does it take you to where you don't want to go? 

Probably high revving on choke on a cold start? 

3 hours ago, Billyboy81 said:

Probably high revving on choke on a cold start? 

You're showing your age by mentioning choke 😁 - with engine management cold start enrichment is achieved by longer injector timings not by restricting airflow.

• Like 1

Well that sorts Bill out, but what about the original poster.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

You're showing your age by mentioning choke 😁 - with engine management cold start enrichment is achieved by longer injector timings not by restricting airflow.

14 hours ago, Catlover said:

Until OP replies clarifying what is meant by "runs out of control" all we can do is watch and wait ⏸️

Thank you for your prompt reply, and please find hereunder, as requested, my explanation for "the car ran out of control". 

I was parked in a legally authorised parking lot, just off the main road.

When I started the car, it shot out of the parking lot with the speed of an arrow and careered onto the main road, crashing into the traffic barrier.  It was impossible to steer the car.

I hit the brake pedal to stop the car to prevent it from running onto the main road, but the brake did not work.

I engaged the handbrake, but it did not work either.

I then tried to reverse the car off the traffic barrier to clear the road to traffic,   but it swerved at great speed across the main road, and ended up crashing into a stone wall by the roadside.

I was bleedig profusely from my face, suffering from shock, and had to be taken to hospital. 

How can i ensure that this won't happen again?  I am now scared stiff of driving an automatic again.

Grateful for your patience and help.

Joseph Busuttil

jabc4338@gmail.com

Your car is about 2 year old, presume it is under warranty. What does your supplying dealer say?

• Like 1

Something sounds wrong as the car will not start in gear, only neutral so how did the car get into gear if the engine was racing, also the chances of two independent brake hydraulic circuits and a cable activated parking brake, so 3 separate systems all to fail simultaneously at the same time as the car manages to accelerate on its own are are statistically highly unlikely.

Not doubting an incident occurred but the means by which it has been reported as occurring.

• Like 3

Sounds like the areas which the dealer needs to investigate are the interlocks on the gear selector which (based on OPs description) allowed the car to be started in gear, the operation of the drive-by-wire throttle and the operation of the brakes (although it does seem implausible that both the dual circuit hydraulic brakes and the independent cable handbrake were unable to stop the car).

For the scenario as described to happen there will IMHO need to have been more than one failure, so a thorough competent investigation seems appropriate.

22 hours ago, Joseph Busuttil said:

Thank you for your prompt reply, and please find hereunder, as requested, my explanation for "the car ran out of control". 

I was parked in a legally authorised parking lot, just off the main road.

When I started the car, it shot out of the parking lot with the speed of an arrow and careered onto the main road, crashing into the traffic barrier.  It was impossible to steer the car.

I hit the brake pedal to stop the car to prevent it from running onto the main road, but the brake did not work.

I engaged the handbrake, but it did not work either.

I then tried to reverse the car off the traffic barrier to clear the road to traffic,   but it swerved at great speed across the main road, and ended up crashing into a stone wall by the roadside.

I was bleedig profusely from my face, suffering from shock, and had to be taken to hospital. 

How can i ensure that this won't happen again?  I am now scared stiff of driving an automatic again.

Grateful for your patience and help.

Joseph Busuttil

jabc4338@gmail.com

sorry to hear that, I've had two automatic aygos now (mk2s) and never had any problems. That sounds like a major manufacturing failure and needs to be investigated. It should be done under warranty as mentioned above.

• Like 1

The only chain of events I can think of at this time is the accelerator was stuck ‘on’ after the car was started and shifted into first.

These cars are drive by wire on the accelerator (from what I know) but I cannot countenance a circumstance where an auto. (or MMT!) would start in gear as described - as another contributor has mentioned there are many (many) safety systems in place to prevent something like this…and for all of them to have failed or overridden seems very unfortunate.

Has this incident been picked up by the local press where you live OP? Can you share a link to local media reports of this incident please?