Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New tyres & TPMS, which Tyre installers?

ACameron

This winter I'm looking to fit Michelin CrossClimate+ to my 2020 Corolla TS & believe it has TPMS when sensors. My question is, am I now limited to tyre installers who can  re calibrate the sensors after new tyres fitted?

TPMS has been mandatory on new cars in the UK/EU since November 2014, and the Corolla uses a direct system which does have wheel sensors.  The system would need to be reset after the new tyres are fitted, which should be covered in the owners manual.

• Like 1

As long as they don't mix the wheels up, I would have thought the new tyres can just be fitted to the car and re-inflated to the correct pressures and the system will just work as intended?

Usually you don't need to do anything special unless the wheels are moved around or new sensors installed -If so, then the system would need to be reinitialized.

I thought you needed a special tool plugged into the ODB2 port to do this, but according to my Yaris' manual I could do it through the steering wheel controls, so yours might also be able to as it's also a newer TNGA-based car?

All the initialization does is check which sensor is on which wheel, and establish a baseline pressure (Which I suspect is now 20psi on my car due to the dealer being incompetent...) - It's nothing rocket surgeryish thankfully!

Question arose after reading quote  from   ...https://mag.toyota.co.uk/how-does-tpms-work/

"

What should happen if I replace any tyres?

Direct: The condition and function of the TPMS valve and sensor assembly should be checked each time the tyres are replaced. This will involve a physical inspection and electronic diagnosis using a proprietary technology (example device in image below)"

TPMS-04.jpg

Everything you need to know:

With a 2020 Corolla it will be inflate the tyres to the correct pressure then drive the vehicle & it should sort itself out.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

As long as they don't mix the wheels up, I would have thought the new tyres can just be fitted to the car and re-inflated to the correct pressures and the system will just work as intended?

Usually you don't need to do anything special unless the wheels are moved around or new sensors installed -If so, then the system would need to be reinitialized.

I thought you needed a special tool plugged into the ODB2 port to do this, but according to my Yaris' manual I could do it through the steering wheel controls, so yours might also be able to as it's also a newer TNGA-based car?

All the initialization does is check which sensor is on which wheel, and establish a baseline pressure (Which I suspect is now 20psi on my car due to the dealer being incompetent...) - It's nothing rocket surgeryish thankfully!

My previous car ( Auris hybrid 2014 ) had TPMS , my local   ATS did a tyre rotation for me  with no problems so I don't think it matters if the sensors are moved  , assuming the Corolla has the same indirect system

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

I bought my last pair (the first I've needed) off the dealer because they gave me a surprisingly good quote.

Unfortunately on the way home I hit a pot hole and put a gash in one of them. It didn't deflate but I had to have it replaced. Still - it was surprising to get a good price from a main dealer.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Toyota dealers advertising tyres price match. I wonder if you have rotated the tyres front with rear sensors wouldn’t know about it right? . but then if you have a low pressure in front tyre would it indicate as low pressure in rear one since places been slapped? 

• Like 1