Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2021 Yaris phone connection.

Hadrian1

For some reason, my car and phone have stopped talking to each other. 

I go through the setup procedure, where both come up with the same pin, but won't connect.

I'm sure the phone is OK as it connects to my Lexus with no problem. I've tried with and without the USB lead connected. Even Google assistant says it's making a call, but doesn't

Ideas anyone ?

I had a similar problem when I changed provider and put a new SIM in the 'phone. The car could 'see' the phone, but wouldn't handle calls (I retained the same number). I solved it by telling the car to delete the phone and telling the car it was a new phone.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bathtub tom said:

I had a similar problem when I changed provider and put a new SIM in the 'phone. The car could 'see' the phone, but wouldn't handle calls (I retained the same number). I solved it by telling the car to delete the phone and telling the car it was a new phone.

I've tried that, but with no luck.  I don't know why it disconnected in the first place.   Maybe it needs a software re-boot ?

Just to clarify. I get a message come up on the car's screen saying "Does this Pin match the Pin showing on your device ?

Yes it does, but there's nothing to press to say yes.  😡

I'm assuming it's an Android phone that you have; from your previous posts. If so, a restart of your phone should sort it and the bluetooth Stack should sort itself out. bluetooth on Android phones can be notoriously finicky at times. Even on my Google Pixel 3XL (running Android 11 with all the current updates), it quite often drops the pairing for no good reason or simply fails to connect even though it is already in the paired list. A full power off/on usually sorts it. Sometimes I can just get away with toggling the bluetooth off/on also. Having said that, the direct USB connection always works without fail for AA/AC...

My normal use is both a direct USB connection for AA/AC & phone and a simultaneous BT connection to my OBDLink LX dongle for using the Hybrid Assistant app.

3 hours ago, Hadrian1 said:

Just to clarify. I get a message come up on the car's screen saying "Does this Pin match the Pin showing on your device ?

Can you do a screenshot of that screen you are seeing when it does it? (and post it here...)

4 hours ago, Hadrian1 said:

Is there anything on the phone to say YES

15 hours ago, Catlover said:

Is there anything on the phone to say YES

15 hours ago, Catlover said:

I'll try to get a screenshot later.  I do get the option to connect on my phone, and it will bring up outlines of the phone and car display

and say connecting, but it doesn't.  If I connect with the USB, it blanks out the connection options.  As I mentioned, I can connect to

my Lexus without any problems, which leads be to think it's a car not a phone issue. I have to take my Lexus in for a Hybrid Battery Check

this morning  so I will make enquiries then.

Photos as requested

Car on top and phone. I spoke to the service dept this morning and they said if

I didn't have any luck, bring it in and we'll have a look.  At great expense I imagine.

car.jpg

phone.jpg

Tap "PAIR" on the phone... (no need to do anything on the head unit)

phone.jpg.624349d762b6f36a5aa20791816c19dd.thumb.jpg.4d0ca125a9c688fc73bd9231012b1159.jpg

1 hour ago, Hadrian1 said:

I spoke to the service dept this morning and they said if I didn't have any luck, bring it in and we'll have a look.  At great expense I imagine.

I really don't get this experience with dealers that some seem to have on here?

Got a nail through my tyre the other day (luckily repairable because of its position) so took it in to my dealer. Cost of repair? FREE (I was told it was company policy for any customer who'd purchased a new car from them)

Help with setting up head unit at my dealer. Cost of assistance? FREE (ditto brackets content above)

etc etc...

I also get an automatic 10% discount thrown in; across a range of consumables (if needed) for my car.

All I can say is that there must be some rubbish dealers out there! ☹️

My local Toyota dealer also claims they offer free puncture repair, but the one time I tried to take advantage of it, they said they were too busy and I'd have to book it in, with a lead time of 2 weeks. But I've spoken enough times about their levels of customer service...

It does seem like the further you get away from London the better the dealers seem to be! :laugh: 

21 hours ago, CPN said:

Tap "PAIR" on the phone... (no need to do anything on the head unit)

phone.jpg.624349d762b6f36a5aa20791816c19dd.thumb.jpg.4d0ca125a9c688fc73bd9231012b1159.jpg

I've lost count on the number of time I've tried that 🙂

As regards the dealer having a look, they may well do it for free as I'm a good customer.

I've lost count on the number of time I've tried that 🙂

...and you get no response on the head unit screen when you do that on the phone? (while that screen you showed is up on the phone?)

image.png.0c436f14e2a2b52d6f45e05543871058.png

Strange...

As regards the dealer having a look, they may well do it for free as I'm a good customer.

Then I would say that that sounds like your best bet...

Strange indeed. Something I haven't tried yet is pairing my wife's phone.

I shall see if that works.

Mmmmm... it would seem to be a phone problem, as my wife's phone connects OK  ☹️

Strange as it connects to my Lexus with no problems.

6 hours ago, Hadrian1 said:

Mmmmm... it would seem to be a phone problem, as my wife's phone connects OK  ☹️

Strange as it connects to my Lexus with no problems.

What type of phone is yours? (make/model/operating system)

On 8/29/2021 at 12:17 AM, CPN said:

What type of phone is yours? (make/model/operating system)

It's a Cubot with Android 10. It connects fine to Android Auto and lets me have conversations with Google Assistant 😄

On Tuesday evening I shall be seeing someone with an identical phone, so I will see if his connects. If it does I shall have

to go through all the settings, and as a last resort do a factory reset.

8 hours ago, Hadrian1 said:

It's a Cubot with Android 10. It connects fine to Android Auto and lets me have conversations with Google Assistant 😄

On Tuesday evening I shall be seeing someone with an identical phone, so I will see if his connects.

That would be the best way to fault diagnose...

8 hours ago, Hadrian1 said:

If it does, I shall have to go through all the settings, and as a last resort do a factory reset.

I'm betting it'll be something to do with the bluetooth on your phone...

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got this one sorted out, well 90% anyway.

It was the anti-virus on my phone stopping it communicating with the car. I uninstalled AVG and now it works fine.

With this exception. If I have the phone connected via the USB cable to use Android Auto, it will ring and ask me to either

Answer or Decline, but I am unable to do either without disconnecting the cable. I can live with that, as I get or send very few calls

when driving.

31 minutes ago, Hadrian1 said:

Finally got this one sorted out, well 90% anyway.

It was the anti-virus on my phone stopping it communicating with the car. I uninstalled AVG and now it works fine.

With this exception. If I have the phone connected via the USB cable to use Android Auto, it will ring and ask me to either

Answer or Decline, but I am unable to do either without disconnecting the cable. I can live with that, as I get or send very few calls

when driving.

So, if your phone rings while it is physically connected and connected via bluetooth, pressing the phone symbol button on the steering wheel doesn't answer the call? Is that what you mean?

4 hours ago, CPN said:

So, if your phone rings while it is physically connected and connected via Bluetooth, pressing the phone symbol button on the steering wheel doesn't answer the call? Is that what you mean?

I haven't tried that yet.  I was just going by the  Accept / Decline notification on the screen. I will try tomorrow

10 minutes ago, Hadrian1 said:

I haven't tried that yet.  I was just going by the  Accept / Decline notification on the screen. I will try tomorrow

If you press the "accept" on the phone, it will override the BT connection and revert the call to the phone; which is why you couldn't hear it...