Do Not Sell My Personal Information

IQ3 wanting to upgrade iPOD connection and SatNav

JezzaB

Hi, I have an IQ3 from new in Aug 2009, and paid extra for the extra SatNav and an iPOD connection at the time. The SatNav needs updating, can anyone advise,? And the iPOD connection is totally useless so I wondered if there was anyway to upgrade this to something better, perhaps a a connection to charge iPhones or something that will connect an iPhone?

Does the car have a 12v aux socket (formerly cigarette lighter).??  If so you can get a conversion to give you 2 (or maybe 3) USB sockets. This will charge your phone be it Android or Apple subject to the correct cable. Having power to your mobile will give you access to Waze as a sat nav, better then any maps from Toyota (IMO). Load your mobile up with your music and then you have an "ipod" but probably of bigger size (depending how much memory your ipod has and memory in your phone)

Thanks Catlover but sadly no cigarette lighter. The iPOD connection comes with a very thick cable. When I bought the car I thought this would be useful, but as Apple changed their connections it was redundant in just a few years.

If nothing else can be done, I would think an auto electrician could fit a 12 volt aux socket somewhere (even on a bracket), then do what I suggested re USB.  Maybe your iPod is going to be redundant.

If you don't have the socket, you may find you have the wiring, the IQ3 is a decent spec so should have a socket just in front of the shifter/handbrake with a cover on it

post-78587-1249895669.jpg

what radio do you have ? TNS510 ?

You can fit any aftermarket headunit (radio) fairly cheaply as you have the double din hutch (that surround/hutch is the expensive part)

A basic upgrade will be £150 upwards if you want something with CarPlay or Android Auto with DAB you are looking £300 upwards

and in the phot Bob just showed I see a cover for AUX, that should be the same size as hole for headphones in a mobile phone. Get a cable with AUX connector either end, then you can play music from you mobile phone through car Speakers.

Hi All, thanks for the responses. I think Joe is right, I probably need an auto electrician to help with this.

I thought I'd add 2 photos to show the iPOD connection I'm talking about in case it makes it clearer for any other suggestions.

Much appreciate everyone's help so far on the Forum 🙂

IMG_5971.thumb.jpg.5d0348b0546de4f68ed4628f89f77cc5.jpgIMG_5972.thumb.jpg.4e4d584c05ca40f6217d9feaed24a506.jpg

You can not do anything with the iPod socket - what model radio do you have ?

You may have the usb and aux cables under the centre console switches, If so you will need to fit a USB port and plug it to the back of the radio

Thanks Bob, I have an IQ3 from Aug 2009, so think it's an early SatNav radio and have heard people mention the TNS510.