Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Main Dealer Servicing - Aygo Blue MMT

ihpj

Wishing everyone well. I just wanted to share the following data point for servicing costs in case folks are wondering.

Brief history, facelift 2009/09 Aygo Blue 5 door MMT. Bought and owned from new. Always been under Toyota Extended Warranty and fully main dealer serviced every year (same dealer from new). Current mileage 70K (yes it’s genuine!).

Aside from needing brake pads (every 15K) and discs (every 30K) and tyres (every 25K) it has needed MMT clutch replacing pretty much every 3 years like clockwork. Right now it’s booked in for:

Full Service + MOT, including:

Use of fully synthetic engine oil

3 x Spark plugs

Pollen Filter

Brake Fluid Change 

Total: £208

Extra Work Requested:

Coolant flush and change £75

Supply and fit two new number plates £30

Replace wiper blade (front) £11.98

Replace both bleed nipples (front) £14.62

Check the spare tyre in boot for pressure and rebalance £ No Cost

Supply and fit new sump plug £6.42

A lot of this is preemptive and in previous years has had the alternator belt changed (just because it was only £12), high output Toyota bulbs fitted (£25 pair); BOSCH S4 Battery (Costco!) etc. and so it’s been impressively reliable. Will likely sell it by 07/2022 as the Toyota Warranty cannot be further extended (sadly).

Safe driving people!

• Like 1

As an addendum, I know many people wouldn’t recommend the MMT for a variety of reasons. One of which I feel is the lack of understanding in owners.

ProTip: these are not your regular automatics. These are automated manual boxes and need to be driven as such. So when stationary at traffic lights, drop it into N; when taking off on a hill, use the handbrake.

We love ours and it is a hoot to drive without the hassle of needing a manual clutch at every gear change. Also, they tend to be fragile (in our experience) so the Toyota extended warranty is a must. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ihpj said:

Will likely sell it by 07/2022 as the Toyota Warranty cannot be further extended (sadly).

Toyota recently announced an extension to extended warranty cover, now available up to 15 years, so 2024 

Hey @Devon Aygo that’s great news! Is this a recent development? Reason I ask is that I spoke with Warranty for an unrelated matter and they said when our current policy expires they are not in a position to renew (due to vehicle age).

But if they’re now extending, we will keep the Aygo - I have tried a Google but not finding anything, could you please point me in the right direction please?

1 minute ago, ihpj said:

Hey @Devon Aygo that’s great news! Is this a recent development? Reason I ask is that I spoke with Warranty for an unrelated matter and they said when our current policy expires they are not in a position to renew (due to vehicle age).

But if they’re now extending, we will keep the Aygo - I have tried a Google but not finding anything, could you please point me in the right direction please?

When Toyota added the new "Relax" warranty in June 2021 they upped the extended warranty limit from 12 to 15 years

I had horrible experience in the past that put me into a DIY guy:

It was my first Car Vauxhall Corsa 1999 which had dealership service stamp throughout the service history book.  Nevertheless, the car had a broken cylinder because a spark plug's ground electrode broke off and stay in the cylinder for unknown number of miles.

Since then, I've turn away from StealerShip and use smaller garage.

Until 5 years ago, I thought how about Do It Myself.  After all, there are plenty of materials on YouTube and Workshop manuals that gives you steps by steps.

From my point of view:

Dealership warranty - pretty much none existent.

Fully Synthetic Engine oil 3.4L = £10 (for 5w30 A5/B5), Oil filter £4

3 x Spark plugs = (Denso KH16TT) £9.06 in total

Pollen Filter (Blue Print Active Carbon from Ebay) £9.20

Brake Fluid (Any DOT 4, 500ml) £3

Note:

Aygo from 2012 onward recommends 0w20 oil instead of 5w30

Also the spark plug changed to Iridium plug: Denso SK16HR11

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ihpj said:

Aside from needing brake pads (every 15K) and discs (every 30K) and tyres (every 25K) it has needed MMT clutch replacing pretty much every 3 years like clockwork.

If I've done my calculations right, that's a new clutch every 17.5k miles, OUCH 😲

If that's correct, did the Toyota dealer offer any good will gesture on the new clutch each time?

Hey @fordulike the Toyota Extended Warranty has paid for all 3 clutch replacements. And it’ll pay for the 4th too (when it falls due).

When the clutch does go, it’s a case of getting it recovered to my local Dealer who has it sorted and fixed in 2 days - and we are ready to go!

As for DIY servicing, yeah not so much for me now. I will maybe replace pads and discs because I enjoy it, otherwise, for the cost I’m happy to let the Dealer take the strain.

To put it in perspective this is one of 5 cars in my household that I have to maintain for a variety of reasons…but that’s for another time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ihpj said:

Hey @fordulike the Toyota Extended Warranty has paid for all 3 clutch replacements. And it’ll pay for the 4th too (when it falls due).

When the clutch does go, it’s a case of getting it recovered to my local Dealer who has it sorted and fixed in 2 days - and we are ready to go!

As for DIY servicing, yeah not so much for me now. I will maybe replace pads and discs because I enjoy it, otherwise, for the cost I’m happy to let the Dealer take the strain.

To put it in perspective this is one of 5 cars in my household that I have to maintain for a variety of reasons…but that’s for another time.

Not bad.  At least for the MMT version which seems to burn up the clutch like a racer.  (BTW, did you shift the car to Neutral at stop?)

Although I'm not sure if same applies to the MMT version, but the Manual Clutch kit (Exedy) is about £54 from GSF, plus 2 Litres of Toyota LV-75W Gearbox oil £30.

Most importantly, changing the clutch on an Aygo is very easy compared to my sister's IQ (which I have done on jack stands).  The sub-frame on Aygo can be left untouched  to drop the gearbox.

Just replaced brake discs and pads, £83, 1 and a half hours and 2 cups of tea. Then I know the job is done probably 👍  

On 8/23/2021 at 8:14 PM, Devon Aygo said:

When Toyota added the new "Relax" warranty in June 2021 they upped the extended warranty limit from 12 to 15 years

Can owners who are currently with the initial 5 year manufacturers warranty that are about to go into the RELAX Toyota program get the extended warranty? Either now or after the 10th year when the RELAX expires?

On 8/24/2021 at 6:55 PM, ihpj said:

Sorry for the double post but how have you managed to get the dealer to replace the clutch as a wear and tear item? My dealer will not do this and I assume most will just treat it as a wear and tear item. Maybe your dealer accepts that there is a flaw in the clutch design/manufacturing. My Aygo is the second-generation one (a 2017 year model) so what part of be weary about the MMT clutch applies to my model I wonder? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

@WazWii the issue of clutch wear and warranty is different depending on if you have an MMT or ‘true’ manual gearbox. Consider this:

How can I as a driver (of an MMT) influence the wear on a clutch over which I (as driver) have no control (i.e. clutch pedal)?

If the Forum is interested, I will share what Toyota GB, Toyota Extended Warranty and my dealer have told me when I have posed this very question to them.

• Like 1

@simon p when the occasion has presented itself, I have done so in the past. I buy genuine pads and discs from Toyota and take my leisurely time to fit. But there comes a time when the parts cost £95 and the Dealer will charge £105 to fit; the cost total seems rather reasonable to me…especially if you consider an Indy will charge £60 +VAT per hour to fit them.

In the time it takes me to do this job, I feel I can spend better - such as with my kids. But every now and again, you know I’ll do it because i fancy doing it. 

@Vandals01 from what my Dealer tells me, and reading the anecdotal feedback on this forum, it seems the MMT requires access to service software to put it into service mode before doing the job. Either way, for me, paying the cost of the Toyota Extended Warranty (remember it I’m has been 2-for-1 for many years) is a no brainier. At those costs why would I want to DIY?

If I take your costs (albeit yours is a manual) parts cost is £85-odd for parts, the annual cost of warranty is £180 /year for Aygo…even at those costs the warranty makes great value for money and that is even before you take into account the Toyota Extended Warranty offer a free MOT too (which reduced the cost differential further).

And just to update the Forum, the Dealer tested the car but did not feel the clutch was worn such that it would warrant a replacement - so they reset the adaptions and actuator.

It is a temporary fix and has made it better, but I’m not going to fight my dealership - the clutch is in its way out, still have a year to go on the warranty so plenty of time to go still. 

• Like 1