Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best cheap Corolla to buy?

Aussiemarco

Hey everyone.

I’ve owned my Avensis for 4 years now, and it’s recently developed the notorious excessive oil consumption and Bond Aston Martin smoke screen pouring out the back. It’s gotten really bad now that it’s time to replace it - it’s only done 117,000 miles ... so annoying. I’ve decided to return to a trusty, bulletproof Corolla - this will be my third one 😊

My dilemma is I have no idea what year model is the best to buy. My budget is £2,000 absolute max. The last thing I want is to end up with another dodgey designed piston head engine. I’ve been researching and it appears there’s a few Toyota engines out there with this faulty design. I want the car for a 32 mile return commute to work (all country roads), and long road trips around the U.K. every three months or so.

I’ve seen that 2003 to 2008 Corollas were particularly good, and they are within my price range. Does anyone know if these Corollas have any issues?

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Hi.

Seem to remember the moderator saying that all such oil burning problems were sorted by mid 2005, so would look out for a 2006 or early 2007 plate, production stopped then.

The 1.4 runs ok but the 1.6 has that bit more poke when you need it, mine does 40mpg mixed driving.

The T3 ,T Spirit or Colour Collection models have most of the usual gadgets.

Other that the oil burning and airbag recall, they do not seem to have any serious problems, but driveshafts can take a beating if you drive them hard /  have a 1.8

• Like 1

Those built from June 2005 should have the oil consumption issue sorted. The build date is different to the first registration date - so just be aware that some which were built before June 2005 may have been first registered after June 2005.

Toyota stopped selling the Corolla in the UK sometime around 2005 or 2006, it was replaced by the Auris for many years, before it was reintroduced a couple of years back.

So an older used Corolla will be quite old, have you considered the Auris, there should be more, somewhat younger examples in your price range?

Thanks for all the info. I didn’t know the Corolla was discontinued in the U.K. around 2006. That explains why they’re so few and far between for sale. I arrived here from Australia in June 2006 and Corolla is King at home. It’s so alien to me that the Corolla wasn’t sold in an entire country haha. I’ll extend my search to the Auris as well as Corolla.

• Like 1