Do Not Sell My Personal Information

battery flat

roger_37

went to the beach to-day was there an hour ,decided to put on radio for some music,

Battery flat ....left the coolbox running in the boot. Had to call aa to get started,forgot to take Battery booster pack with me....battery dont last in these new ravs...would not have happend in the old rav diesel ...that'll teach me.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of your problem it does take the edge of a day out? The Hybrid/ PHEV designs have only a small Battery, this does seem to be a common problem and I’d hope that the capacity might be improved in any new design. I wonder if a higher capacity Battery could be fitted in the space of the original? 

I’ve said it before on these forums I can’t see how a radio can flatten the Battery in an hour some people leave the car in ready mode and let the engine start occasionally I don’t I just switch the vehicle back on in accessory mode after it powers itself down never had a flat Battery just using the radio.

A 12 volt cool box will flatten the Battery if you run it in accessory mode for any length of time they consume 5 to 8 amps. Get yourself a 12 volt sealed leisure battery to run the cool box independently or a 12 volt power pack.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ernieb said:

Sorry to hear of your problem it does take the edge of a day out? The Hybrid/ PHEV designs have only a small battery, this does seem to be a common problem and I’d hope that the capacity might be improved in any new design. I wonder if a higher capacity battery could be fitted in the space of the original? 

i dont know ,,but it is needed but in future i'll carry my Battery pack/jumper.

Martin, it’s recommended when stationary and you want radio, cool box or whatever on, that you leave the car in Ready mode. That way the 12v Battery is being charged via the hybrid Battery. For sure from time to time the computer will kick in the ice to charge up the hybrid Battery but this should only be for couple minutes a time about 3 times an hour - all depending on circumstances ie what you running etc.

@Catlover, good advice, one advantage of the bigger capacity traction Battery in the PHEV, it may be heavy but it’s got its uses? 😊  My Room Mode is also very useful.

2 hours ago, roger_37 said:

went to the beach to-day was there an hour ,decided to put on radio for some music,

battery flat ....left the coolbox running in the boot. Had to call aa to get started,forgot to take battery booster pack with me....battery dont last in these new ravs...would not have happend in the old rav diesel ...that'll teach me.

Sorry to hear that ...

... but something doesn't seem quite right - AFAIK the auxiliary 12v Battery is rated at 45Ah. I haven't [yet] examined mine in the boot but all the replacement batteries I can find are 45Ah. So, to flatten it in an hour you would have needed to be drawing something like 45A - which seems rather a lot for a radio and a cool box ... ?

And, IIRC the car will switch off after 20 minutes in Accessory mode - which should at least have warned you of the issue. Were you actually in Accessory mode or Ignition mode? Ignition mode will allow all the cars electrics to run including A/C, and heated windows etc. which could draw far more current. So, as others have said use Ready mode; Accessory mode is OK for a couple of minutes; Ignition mode is really quite 'bad' and best avoided completely.

And, finally, you might want to get your dealer to test the 12v auxiliary Battery - it might prove to be duff and they might want to replace it under warranty ... (and the might not, but if you don't ask ...) 😉

35 minutes ago, philip42h said:

Sorry to hear that ...

... but something doesn't seem quite right - AFAIK the auxiliary 12v battery is rated at 45Ah. I haven't [yet] examined mine in the boot but all the replacement batteries I can find are 45Ah. So, to flatten it in an hour you would have needed to be drawing something like 45A - which seems rather a lot for a radio and a cool box ... ?

And, IIRC the car will switch off after 20 minutes in Accessory mode - which should at least have warned you of the issue. Were you actually in Accessory mode or Ignition mode? Ignition mode will allow all the cars electrics to run including A/C, and heated windows etc. which could draw far more current. So, as others have said use Ready mode; Accessory mode is OK for a couple of minutes; Ignition mode is really quite 'bad' and best avoided completely.

And, finally, you might want to get your dealer to test the 12v auxiliary battery - it might prove to be duff and they might want to replace it under warranty ... (and the might not, but if you don't ask ...) 😉

not sure what mode i left the motor in think it was Ignition mode, but had radio off and only cool box on.

think a a man said only 300 battery in them easy run down20210825_200540.thumb.jpg.e0ce6c778abfea82f89375614ebf7d70.jpg20210825_200649.thumb.jpg.b546a95d85f1f91d4be7d473de1f203a.jpg

2 minutes ago, roger_37 said:

2 minutes ago, roger_37 said:

going to take this with me from now on hope this will start rav.

2 hours ago, Rosgoe said:

I’ve said it before on these forums I can’t see how a radio can flatten the battery in an hour some people leave the car in ready mode and let the engine start occasionally I don’t I just switch the vehicle back on in accessory mode after it powers itself down never had a flat battery just using the radio.

A 12 volt cool box will flatten the battery if you run it in accessory mode for any length of time they consume 5 to 8 amps. Get yourself a 12 volt sealed leisure battery to run the cool box independently or a 12 volt power pack.

i have both ..but were at home at the time but lesson  learned.

2 hours ago, Catlover said:

Martin, it’s recommended when stationary and you want radio, cool box or whatever on, that you leave the car in Ready mode. That way the 12v battery is being charged via the hybrid battery. For sure from time to time the computer will kick in the ice to charge up the hybrid battery but this should only be for couple minutes a time about 3 times an hour - all depending on circumstances ie what you running etc.

thanks, will keep this in mind for future reference.

AFAIK the auxiliary 12v battery is rated at 45Ah. I haven't [yet] examined mine in the boot but all the replacement batteries I can find are 45Ah. 

My dealer garage replaced my 45Ah Battery with a 52Ah.

9 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

My dealer garage replaced my 45Ah battery with a 52Ah.

was it faulty why did you get them to change it .... might need to get same done

When I collected my RAV4 in 2019 a technician told me the 12V Battery was 52 AH.

A few other bits of info on the subject in this thread:  

Note the bit about possibly being unable to open the boot if the 12V Battery is very flat!  No joke if have have your jump starter in there.

8 hours ago, PeteB said:

When I collected my RAV4 in 2019 a technician told me the 12V battery was 52 AH.

A few other bits of info on the subject in this thread:  

Note the bit about possibly being unable to open the boot if the 12V battery is very flat!  No joke if have have your jump starter in there.

yes my boot would not open...to-day off to the beach again but with Battery pack on board if i should need it which i wont after the advice from here ...regards leaving motor in ready mode ......thanks all for the great help much appreciated ..martin

• Thanks 1

home from beach nothing to report all went great .....what a day out hot hot hot ....motor was good too used sport mode to-day,driving twisty hilly roads.🤣           

• Like 1

22 hours ago, roger_37 said:

was it faulty why did you get them to change it .... might need to get same done

I monitored the voltage every 24hrs when the car was not driven. Voltage drop was over 0.1v per day.  They checked and found it failing and changed under warranty. 

If your Battery is under the bonnet then as long as your booster Battery is accessible no problem.  If your Battery is in the boot, two options. 

1. Use a positive terminal in the engine bay. 

Or

2. Wire a charging cable to the battery

Note battery charger cables can carry only a low current. A battery booster carries a much higher current thus needs heavier duty cables. 

• Like 1

Just had the Battery go flat again on my C-HR, hasn't used it much recently so it started sulking. It started immediately when I connected my booster pack and I have it a run. 

The tailgate opened easily so I could get to the booster pack and the Battery easily, however I'll have to find somewhere else on my RAV4 when it turns up as it has a power tailgate. 

You were lucky there was enough juice left in the Battery to work the electric boot opener!  You may not always be so lucky.

2 hours ago, ColinB said:

Just had the battery go flat again on my C-HR, hasn't used it much recently so it started sulking. It started immediately when I connected my booster pack and I have it a run. 

The tailgate opened easily so I could get to the booster pack and the battery easily, however I'll have to find somewhere else on my RAV4 when it turns up as it has a power tailgate. 

Most of the recent Toyota hybrids have a connection point under the bonnet for jump starting with your booster pack and slow Battery charger.

Leave your booster pack somewhere in the main cabin area.

2 hours ago, Catlover said:

Most of the recent Toyota hybrids have a connection point under the bonnet for jump starting with your booster pack and slow battery charger.

Leave your booster pack somewhere in the main cabin area.

The AA man showed me the connection point under the bonnet, but with the tailgate open it's easier to connect straight to the Battery

6 minutes ago, ColinB said:

The AA man showed me the connection point under the bonnet, but with the tailgate open it's easier to connect straight to the battery. 

same as that but Battery is where did'nt see in the boot?

3 minutes ago, roger_37 said:

same as that but battery is where did'nt see in the boot?

It's quite visible in a C-HR; completely hidden in a RAV4 ... 😉