Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aircon smell

zelda89

For the past few months I've been trying to permanently eliminate the odour from the Aircon. I've used a number of products such as Dettol Anti bacterial spray and Oust but after a few days, the smell of vinegar/urine smell comes back.

Now I've seen a video where you can spray a foam cleaner via the drain line and I was wondering if anyone has done this and if so what product they've used. I've seen one by Mannol on eBay at a reasonable price but would prefer a recommended product.

If you're wondering how I've used the previously mentioned household products, I remove cabin filter, set to non recirculate and spray the product via the outside intake vents.

Thanks

You can buy a can of air con cleaner in Halfords approx £10.  From memory you set the air con to recirc put the fan on top speed, put the canister behind the front seat, set it off, close all the doors and let it do its thing for 15 minutes.  It worked for me.

14 minutes ago, Trewithy said:

You can buy a can of air con cleaner in Halfords approx £10.  From memory you set the air con to recirc put the fan on top speed, put the canister behind the front seat, set it off, close all the doors and let it do its thing for 15 minutes.  It worked for me.

Thanks for the tip, I use to do this method on my previous car but found it too messy.

Too messy, what was too messy.?   I did it a few years ago and it was ok.

19 hours ago, Catlover said:

Too messy, what was too messy.?   I did it a few years ago and it was ok.

I didn't put sheets over the seats so a lot of the excess product settled on the seat, interior etc. So not only the seats were damp and caused a residue on the plastics, you'd also have a concentrated smell as a lot of the product is soaked into the car.  There's more control by spraying products directly into the air vent and during application I have all windows and boot open to help disperse any excess product that's passed through the system. Give it a go, it's cheaper as well as you can use household products like Dettol or Neutradol that only cost £1

I didnt put sheets over seats either.. I gave the product a good shake, as stated by manufacturer.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Catlover said:

I didnt put sheets over seats either.. I gave the product a good shake, as stated by manufacturer.

Very pleased for you

• Thanks 1

Try taking out the pollen filter, buy some pure ethanol off the bay , spray it into the inlet.

• 2 weeks later...

I went for the foam cleaner route in the end and applied via the drain line then finished it off with the Dettol spray from outside air vent. As the foam product drained out, I got a whiff of the horrible smells I was getting from inside the car. Fully tested the Aircon today with it on and off and looks as though the foam did the trick!

air-conditioner-cleaner.jpg

• Like 1

So far so good. It's been 2 days now and I would have notice the smell returning by now.

I bought mine from eBay, 2 for under £10

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links