Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Passenger airbag

DALINE40

Being a bit slow to learn, I have only recently realized that on Yaris Hybrid 2016, (bought as a used car) that the airbag light is only illuminated for the driver.  Having located the switch for the passenger airbag it is in the ON position.  I have used he key  to turn to the OFF position and then back to ON but it makes no difference. Has anyone any helpful suggestions or should I contact my local Toyota dealer? Thanks

I think you'll find that it's the reverse of what you think? If you use your key again and turn the passenger airbag to the OFF position and then start the car up (brakes on and in "P" obviously), you should find that the passenger airbag light will light up - indicating that it is OFF and not its default which is ON (light out) if that makes sense? I think the light you are seeing isn't only for the driver. It is for all the airbags in the car.

Thank you Colin. I have just tried that and the dashboard indicator shows what looks like a crossed out seatx2. Changing it back just shows an airbag ON indication.  I think the next time I am near the local dealer I will call in.

Interestingly, I have just tried mine and it will not stay (latch) in the "OFF" position at all? (system READY) The lights on the dash changes to a crossed out "Seatx2" as yours but it won't stay there??

image.thumb.png.7b8cfc59fab6ad51d7eaa4258f123f03.png

This kind of implies that I may have a malfunction? Can someone else try it on their Mk4 please and see what happens?

Colin, I  found I had to insert the key (into the ON position) and press it in and then turn. That way it stayed in the OFF position. Had to use the same action when turning it back.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DALINE40 said:

Colin, I  found I had to insert the key (into the ON position) and press it in and then turn. That way it stayed in the OFF position. Had to use the same action when turning it back.

Right!!!  Works here too! Pity they don't describe that action in the manual!

The passenger airbag light is on the tell-tail light (Hazard switch) one lights up to tell you it's on and the one beside it lights up when it's switched off (used for when you have a front baby seat or MIL in the car)

The symbol is a cross through the airbag, No Adult, "2" stands for category 2 passenger, Off - this tells you the airbag is off

The second symbol is a baby seat with a cross through it, ON - this means the airbag is on and is for normal passengers

One or the other stays on permanently or till the seat belt is fastened*, the driver's airbag light is on the main gauges that will come when you start the car and then go out, or if you're sitting in the seat with your seat belt on

*depends on the way the car is configured

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CPN said:
7 minutes ago, flash22 said:

The passenger airbag light is on the tell-tail light (Hazard switch) one lights up to tell you it's on and the one beside it lights up when it's switched off (used for when you have a front baby seat or MIL in the car)

The symbol is a cross through the airbag, No Adult, "2" stands for category 2 passenger, Off - this tells you the airbag is off

The second symbol is a baby seat with a cross through it, ON - this means the airbag is on and is for normal passengers

One or the other stays on permanently or till the seat belt is fastened*, the driver's airbag light is on the main gauges that will come when you start the car and then go out, or if you're sitting in the seat with your seat belt on

*depends on the way the car is configured

Thank you Bob. I had eventually come to that conclusion but would probably have visited a dealer to confirm. However, you have saved me that trip

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

This is standard on most cars and intended to convey a "DON'T PUT A CHILD SEAT HERE" message.

Of course being on all the time means it just becomes part of the car interior, so I'm not sure if it's ever had the desired effect on any normal user.