Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rattling noise like a bag of nuts and bolts.

carlios

My Toyota Corollo Verso 1.8vvt has developed a 'rattling' noise like a bag of nuts and bolts being shaken. It seems to be coming from the drivers side of the engine, around the water pump, alternator and air compressor area, or possibly the timimg chain/tensioner? It increases with the speed of the engine.

Any ideas? All Mr T can say is 'book it in and we will investigate'.

Mr T seems to think it is the water pump but still witing for parts. Is this diagnosis correct? 

Hi,

No one can make a 100% diagnosis without examining the car, though the water pump is the part down there most likely to fail first. ( on any car, not just Toyotas)

If you want to check yourself the best thing is to remove the aux/fan belt , so removing tension from the pulleys, allowing you to 'feel' each pulley for noise and play

On the water pump there is a small hole on its underside to allow leaking coolant to escape, so examine down there to see if its wet or any traces of dried fluid.

If it is rattling so badly and still driving it, do not be surprised to see a big water leak from under the car if the pump fails completely, which means switching the engine off or risk seizing it.

• Like 1

Thanks.

Did wonder if it could have been either the Alternator bearings going, or maybe the Air Compressor, or even the Timing Chain (if it has one!) tensioner.

Mr T reckons its the Water Pump - just hope they are right! 

Due to lockdowns this year not done as many miles as previous, drives ok, just noisy 'rattler'. Been keeping the top speed down anyway.

I had a 2009 Yaris diesel and at one time sounded like a bag of nails. That turned out to be the water pump shot at.

Thanks Catlover, looks like it is the water pump that will be replaced.

Have you had a proper diagnosis ?

If it is the water pump, well worth asking them to replace the Thermostat while they have the system drained.

Went through the same thing years ago with the wife's (low mileage) Yaris 1.5. I checked the alternator first because it seemed too loud to be a water pump, but it was indeed the pump. There was no leak, just a lot of noise. Maybe water pumps are a bit of an achilles heel on certain Toyota engines?

It was an easy thing to change on that particular car, only problem was the lack of space between the engine and the adjacent structural member to be able to get the pump out. There was just enough yield in the engine mounts in order to get the necessary clearance by prying it sideways.

Thanks, at 141,000 miles I suppose the water pump has not done bad.