Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 hybrid buying questions - 2014 vs 2016, headunit video in.

preperationlaunch

Hi all,

I'm looking at a few Yarises (Yarii?) locally, and I'm definitely after a hybrid, not least because the relative simplicity of the drivetrain appeals hugely.

I've got a few questions though, I'm aware that there are quite a few quirks to driving hybrids and the geeky side is quite interesting.

Were there any hardware changes from 2013 to 2016 models? I'm looking at an Icon+ from 2014 and a Design trim-level from 2016, I believe the 2017+ models were reworked internally quite a lot with safety sense etc. I know that the Icon+ is old enough to have a CD player in the top, and it has the older silver LED lights at the back. It doesn't have keyless entry either, but that's not a be all and end all. I think the question may be how much difference did the 2014 facelift make.

The 2014 has 17k miles, whereas the 2016 has 44k. Both are similar in price though, the 2014 being sold by a main dealer.

Would I lose out on much by going for the 2014 over the 2016? The older Toyota touch system doesn't faze me too much, as it can be replaced.

Is it possible to get video in on the head units? I've seen some of the Android CarPlay boxes that just need an RCA input, and I believe some of the Toyota head units support an extra loom for it.

14-18 is the first face lift

18-20 is the second face lift

the major changes are in 2014 - the interior is the same up to 2020 with a few tweaks from 2018, 2014 onwards got the touch 2 (no cd) 18 on got the touch2 gen2 (silver buttons)

imho the 2014 onwards cars are a bit more refined

Re. The Touch 2. The touch 2 can do video in the later 18 onwards can do HDMI in, be aware if you go with an aftermarket radio you will lose the hybrid information and the ability to do certain customizations

Where are you located ? There are plenty of yaris's about for sale

• Like 1

Thanks, so it's a worthwhile to get the newer one if I can.

Would you know if the Touch 1 can do video in too? I'm not particularly concerned about quality, it is simply a way to get CarPlay without losing the hybrid display. The Chinese boxes seem to be alright for what they are, with a little remote control. 

I'm unfortunately on the Isle of Man, so choice is a lot more limited here without going through the rigmarole of sourcing and importing a car from the UK. We have a very stringent test on imported cars, and a very long waiting list for the tests too.

Ah, that's a pain not 100% on the touch 1 i will have to look at the diagrams, both the touch and touch 2 support the now defunct mirrorlink if your phone does - the touch 2 also supports GVIF (its a vehicle data/video method)

this one is listed wrong, it's a 1.5 hybrid bi-tone 33k miles

https://www.athol.im/vehicles/yaris-hybrid

6 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Ah, that's a pain not 100% on the touch 1 i will have to look at the diagrams, both the touch and touch 2 support the now defunct mirrorlink if your phone does - the touch 2 also supports GVIF (its a vehicle data/video method)

this one is listed wrong, it's a 1.5 hybrid bi-tone 33k miles

https://www.athol.im/vehicles/yaris-hybrid

No MirrorLink on my phone unfortunately, I even looked to see whether I could get a Pi to speak MirrorLink or similar but had little luck.

That bi-tone is actually one of the ones I'm wanting to look at.

This is the other one. Cars are quite steeply priced here, especially at the moment. But, it is what it is.

https://www.jacksons.im/vehicles/used/838267/toyota

Looking at it, it looks like if I want RCA input, I have to get a car with Touch 2.

Am I right in thinking touch 1 to touch 2 is not a straight swap?

The touch 2 has a composite A/V in composite and left and right, you either need an adapter or to wire the pins

yes you can retrofit a touch 2 or the later touch 2 in the pre facelift, the dash pad is slightly different tho

mk3 stereo removal - Copy.pdf

that 2014 pre-facelift is very over priced at £11k

Thanks. I've now put a deposit down on a 2017 pre-facelift Design Bi-Tone Nav model with 8k miles.

It has the earlier touch & go 2, it also has a nav unit fitted.

Am I right in thinking, it should be as simple as getting the appropriate loom for video in? I notice some of them come with speed sensor wires that can be disconnected, I assume that's for video in to continue when the car is moving, and will need to be wired to a switch if I want to use the Sat Nav?

Otherwise, I think I'm very happy with the car and having driven the 2017 facelift, the TSS etc. isn't a dealbreaker for me.

I'M not sure about video in motion usually its just the VSS and handbrake signals that it needs, i have the pinouts for the touch2 models if required

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/30/2021 at 7:39 PM, flash22 said:

I'M not sure about video in motion usually its just the VSS and handbrake signals that it needs, i have the pinouts for the touch2 models if required

I ended up the newer low buying the car, it has Touch 2 Go with XE3934 running on the DA unit. The nav unit hasn't been updated by the previous owner so still has the 2016 maps loaded on it.

Do these ones support RCA input? Do you know if it is possible to get an audio only AUX input too off the back of that?

Yes it has an A/V input it detects what's connected, so it comes up as A/V or Aux, if you google - Toyota 28 pin

• Like 1