Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Android Auto query for 2021 corolla

Trackpad

Hi all, 

not sure if I am being a luddite but does my car have Android Auto? I have added 2 photos to show why I am confused. Basically the setup menu allows me to select android or car play but I see no icons on the screen. Android is selected in the pic.  My phone has android installed and I had the usb cable connected. When I set up a route I can hear the voice instructions through the car Speakers but the car screen stays blank. My phone is a Huawei P20 pro. 

Thanks 

IMG_20210828_182451.jpg

IMG_20210828_182427.jpg

Yes you do, the phone has to be tethered (plugged in with a usb cable) to use it and the compatible apps installed on your phone

Hi Flash, cheers for the reply! At least I now know its installed. Need to have a play with the phone as it was plugged in when I took the pics. It also has android installed.

Just in case. Double check the USB data cable.👍

yes Bob it is either that and or my phone I think!! 

@Trackpad Google has a useful guide to setting up Android Auto - https://support.google.com/androidauto/answer/6348029?hl=en-GB

See also this FAQ on the Huawei forum re Android Auto - https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/community/details/FAQ---Android-auto/topicId_7696/

Thanks Luke, that forum suggests the problem is the phone too. I will try a different device to see if android opens. 

General note to everyone. Do make sure the usb cable you using is the correct one, one that not only charges the phone but transmits data as well. USB cables that charge only tend to be slightly cheaper then ones that transmit data as well, so unknowingly you may have purchased a charge only cable. The cable supplied with a new phone I would imagine will be charge and data (so you can download photos etc from phone to computer.

• Like 2

Yes, I've got cables like this, they'll charge but not transmit data.  I use one to charge my personal phone off my work laptop cos we are not meant to plug things in that can send or receive data.

Make sure you’ve plugged it into the correct USB port too. 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tayaste said:

What is a correct USB port? 

2 minutes ago, Catlover said:

What is a correct USB port? 

The USB under the dash is data and charging, the one in the centre console is charging only.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rambler56 said:

The USB under the dash is data and charging, the one in the centre console is charging only.

This ^^ 👍

22 hours ago, Trackpad said:

Thanks Luke, that forum suggests the problem is the phone too. I will try a different device to see if android opens. 

As you have a Huawei phone, this might be of interest re what Huawei's doing with alternatives to apps for Android devices including Android Auto - https://www.autoevolution.com/news/huawei-releases-new-features-for-its-google-maps-alternative-168270.html

On 8/29/2021 at 11:35 AM, tayaste said:

Absolutely,  I also recommend one of the good quality reversible L/R USB cables, to avoid potential injuries to passengers,  and reduce loading on the USB data port!