Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Celica Gt4 Abs

jonnyb

does anybody know if my toyota celica GT4 ST185 Jap import 1992 model has ABS ??

I don't think it has but have bought a couple of heat shields from eBay

1 for the radiator and 1 for the ABS ??

I'm struggling to find where to put the heat shield for the ABS

sorry for sounding thick , but I'm still waiting to get a UK manual for it !!!

Thanks,

Jonathan

heat shield for abs :eek:

look at the calipers there should be a wire running near them going to the ends of the drive shafts , these are the abs sensors , also under the bonnet on the front left side there should be a big square box with loads of brake pipes comming out of it , thats the abs pump .never heard of a heat shield for abs sorry.

just looked at it its just a abs pump cover , not a heat shield

Edited by maleborn1967

I think on the MR2 it was not standard on the turbo's pre Dec '91 .. it took till after that before it became standard kit (was an option before)

thanks for your help

I just searched my engine bay and can't find any ABS pump at all at left hand side there is a gap just behind headlight where an ABS pump could be located but just has a few pipes running accross it

when driving hard it tends lock up at the front

do you think its because its a Jap import that it may not have ABS ?

Daft question - when you start your car .. does an ABS light come on the dash?

i've never noticed 1 ?

When it was for sale on E-Bay and it stated ST185 , i assumed that my car would have ABS ?

Like i say it is very easy to lock up the front brakes, if my car had ABS this wouldn't happen would it ??

nope .. it's pulse and you'd feel the pedal judder ..

never mind!!

I'll just have to try and resell it on E-Bay !!!

thanks for your help

the best way i find 2 see if the car has abs is 2 drive it really fast and then slam on the brakes, if it locks then u aint got abs and if it locks and unlocks etc then u have abs,

there is another way 2 find out, pop the hood and next 2 the power steering fluid should be a small bow which should have about 4 or 5 cabels coming out of it, this would be the abs model, if u have a gap like mine then u aint got abs,

also if it is abs then u should have a light on the dash when u r about 2 start the car

i recommend u try the my way 1st,trust me it is fun, do it in an open space where u aint gona cause any danger, if ur still not sure, i'll test the car, if not then pop the hood, :thumbsup:

hope i've been help mate :thumbsup:

sorry mate, i'm logged on under my brothers name, its a small box next 2 the power steering fluid u need 2 look 4 :thumbsup:

ignore the light on the dash for now , because people take the bulb out when the abs fails ,rather than pay to have it fixed.if it is fitted and isnt working it will lock up,saying slam the brakes on at speed is nonsence as the abs wont work if a sensor is down anyways so dont take it for granted it hasnt got it.look in the fuses and relays for something where abs should be. easiest way is to look behind the front hubs and look for the abs sensors to end all quibbles.

Chances are you dont have ABS as all imports came without it by default as it was an optional extra.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links