Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis engine check light

DanTavensis

Two days ago i took out the mass air flow sensor, cleanedit with the correct spray and put it back. Now this morning the engine check light is on. I dont know if its anything to do with what i did, as the car revs when idle between 600 and 500 rpm sometimes sounds like the engine is gonna stall. Anybody have a opinion?

It could certainly be related. Check that the plug to the sensor is connected properly. Have you got any way of reading the fault codes? Basic fault code readers are quite cheap now and well worth having. 

Can You recommend a cheap fault code reader that will clear the codes?

The engine check light has gone off. Is there any need for a code reader now?

up to you, it is a handy thing to have. The code should be stored in the car's memory for a while.

Petrol cars sold in the UK/EU from 2001 onwards had to use the EOBD standard so any OBD2 code reader should work on your 2004 car. If you just want to read and clear engine fault codes then any basic code reader for £15-20 should be fine. Eurocarparts for example sell one for £16.99, although I've not tried it it seems to get reasonable reviews.

Cool  thanks, had the code read And turns out to be a fuel pressure sensor, not enough pressure get into the car. The codes have been cleared now I’m hoping it doesn’t come back, maybe it’s something to do with me cleaning me mass airflow sensor

On 8/30/2021 at 9:13 AM, DanTavensis said:

Can You recommend a cheap fault code reader that will clear the codes?

well those code readers are handy i bought myself a 

autel maxidiag elite md802 all systems

from ebays and its great dose abs,airbags etc handy piece of kit .plus its got lifetime updates and well its a great scanner.i had one of the cheaper autel ones but did not do the airbags or abs ,epb or airbags 

Some maf air sensor cannot be cleaned using the normal cleaning stuff. I think they are called hot wire maf sensor. You might need to replace. 

I think it might be the fuel inlet valve having carbon deposits.