Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Check Hybrid System error after unconnected 12V battery short circuit

cata1in

Hello! I have a Auris hybrid and today I had to jump start another car (opel astra 2007). I unplugged my car from the 12V Battery, connected the cables and started the other car. The problem came when another person wile taking out the cables, accidentally touched them together and created a short circuit, while they were connected to my Battery. I reconnected my car to the 12V batter, started the car and was all good. But after 100meters check engine light came up and also check hybrid system. Another problem is that the rear wheals seem to lock themselves, for a few moments, after a few hundred meters; after 700 meters the car stopped completely. 

Do you think that all this could be from the short circuit at the 12V Battery even if the auris wasn't connected when the incident occurred ? The 12V Toyota battery has any circuits inside that could've been affected ?

If you have any ideas feel free to share them! Tomorrow I'll try to go to a Toyota service and see what is the problem.

Sorry to hear that you suffered needlessly when helping out a fellow motorist. Old saying “no good deed goes unpunished”. I hope someone on here can help and advise. In some cases disconnecting the 12 volt Battery for 15 minutes can resolve problems. But I’m no expert on modern cars.

It was my father in law 😃, the one that need help. After the car stopped, because of the errors, I disconnected the Battery for a minute, and the errors disappeared, but I only drive it a few meters forwards and backwards. I didn't have the courage to take it on the road because I'm afraid it will stop again. Tomorrow I'll try to find a tow truck.

5 minutes ago, cata1in said:

It was my father in law 😃, the one that need help. After the car stopped, because of the errors, I disconnected the battery for a minute, and the errors disappeared, but I only drive it a few meters forwards and backwards. I didn't have the courage to take it on the road because I'm afraid it will stop again. Tomorrow I'll try to find a tow truck.

Hi, sorry to hear that happened to you. Car user manual says as far as I remember not to jump start other vehicles but you can be jump started. There is also a rule that if you jump start other cars you can do so only on smaller cars with less powerful Battery., lower amperage. I have no idea what could have gone wrong, the 12v Battery itself or some relays or the inverter. It will need perhaps a diagnostic first and then take it from there. If you disconnect the Battery for longer time like 20 min or more and try again to see if the car will trigger same warning message. Hope it’s not the worst, but let see what Toyota garage will say. 
Good luck 

4 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

or some relays or the inverter

My car was disconnected from my 12V Battery when I jump started the other car and when the short circuit occurred. I really hope it's not the inverter, I don't see how it could've been if the Battery wasn't connected to my car during the event, but who knows... Guess I'll find out at the car service.

2 minutes ago, cata1in said:

My car was disconnected from my 12V battery when I jump started the other car and when the short circuit occurred. I really hope it's not the inverter, I don't see how it could've been if the battery wasn't connected to my car during the event, but who knows... Guess I'll find out at the car service.

Was it disconnected from both positive and negative cables or only from one and which one exactly? If there was no physical connection to the car at all most likely you will only need a new 12v Battery. I believe I read somewhere similar issues happened to Prius owners after a jump start, most likely priuschat us forum. , perhaps you can have look there for more clues about it. 👍

the moral of the story is DONT jump start another car from a hybrid / hybrid Battery

as the Battery is of a lower capacity jump starting will flatten the Battery very quickly

3 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Was it disconnected from both positive and negative cables or only from one and which one exactly? If there was no physical connection to the car at all most likely you will only need a new 12v battery. I believe I read somewhere similar issues happened to Prius owners after a jump start, most likely priuschat us forum. , perhaps you can have look there for more clues about it. 👍

Yes, completely, positive and negative were off. I'm trying on Prius chat as well don't know if they will accept my topic since is an Auris.

19 minutes ago, cata1in said:

Yes, completely, positive and negative were off. I'm trying on Prius chat as well don't know if they will accept my topic since is an Auris.

Ok, should be only the Battery problem then. When you ask us forum you can just talk about Prius gen 3 as they are basically the same cars and I think  they don’t have an Auris there.