Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ping-demic..............

Lawnmowerman

Had to travel to Glasgow (from Inverness) on Friday. First significant journey since purchase - most are 14 mile journeys with about 6 miles of dual carriageway.

Anyway, I was frustrated by the double beeps that would occur and (although less regularly) single beeps. And they are loud - I suppose they are meant to be!

What have I been ignoring - was it related to speed cameras or something?

It may tell me in the manual but at about 650 pages I reckon someone here will know definitively.

Most of the journey with cruise control. Oh, and the RSA can be an annoyance with all the 50mph road signs for lorries.

Thanks in advance.

Yeah there so many beeps! It's one thing I hate about newer cars, too many beeping distractions!

Things the beeps might mean (These are all things it has beeped at me practically all the time):

Car thinks you have crossed a lane marking

Car thinks you are too close to the kerb

Car has turned off lane assist because it can't figure out where the lane is

Car has turned off lane assist because it thinks you aren't holding the wheel

Car thinks you are about to crash into something

Car thinks you haven't noticed the car moving in front to resume cruise control

If you have a Toyota satnav, yes there are also a plethora of different unfathomable beeps related to speed cameras too! (Every time I'm a passenger in my dad's Verso I try to figure out how to disable them... have yet to succeed...)

The RSA beeps can be customised or the 2021 (not sure about 2018) so it can beep, show/beep or just show as well as the volume, low, medium, high.

The over speed beep can be adjusted to 1, 3 or 5mph. I’ve set mine to 5mph as the internal speed accuracy is 3/4mph so even at 5mph it’s more or less giving an accurate warning.

Adjusting these has reduced the beeping beeeeeeps! 🤯

8 hours ago, Lawnmowerman said:

Had to travel to Glasgow (from Inverness) on Friday. First significant journey since purchase - most are 14 mile journeys with about 6 miles of dual carriageway.

Anyway, I was frustrated by the double beeps that would occur and (although less regularly) single beeps. And they are loud - I suppose they are meant to be!

What have I been ignoring - was it related to speed cameras or something?

It may tell me in the manual but at about 650 pages I reckon someone here will know definitively.

Most of the journey with cruise control. Oh, and the RSA can be an annoyance with all the 50mph road signs for lorries.

Thanks in advance.

As Cyker says could be a plethora of things, but my money would be on the speed camera alert. Took me a while to figure out what it was, but you also get a brief pop-up on the screen. I never found out how to turn it off. I did find out that my brand new car only came with 3 months of speed camera alerts and that Toyota wanted £30 for an annual subscription! So, I decided to save myself 30 quid and get rid of an annoying beep at the same time 😊

• Like 1

There's a single ping happens when I first set off, just happens once, never worked out why.

15 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

There's a single ping happens when I first set off, just happens once, never worked out why.

I think that's the distracting ping to tell you there's a message on the infotainment screen, asking you to obey traffic rules and not to be distracted by the infotainment screen 😉

• Haha 2

I get the 'double ping' for speed cameras but they seem to come so early, way before I'm at the cameras. So early in fact I've already started speeding up again.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your ideas and thoughts.

As nothing on the vehicle has been updated since build perhaps all these beeps are based on historical data. The A9 is polluted with average speed cameras and the beeps don't coincide. Also they are (still) trialling 50mph limit for lorries and the RSA illustrates that with the accompanying voice telling you you are over the speed limit (or the quiet (5?) pings when you exceed that limit.

Only recently did I register the radio details on the MyToyota app (and since then it always warns me on the infotainment screen if I continue there will be a charge) (I always cancel this) could this be a cause? I take it the charge would be levied to your phone? Is this to connect to Toyota's network? And what benefits do they bring?

Thanks again for your feedback.

I have a 2019 RAV4.4.

I get an occasional ping for no apparent reason.  However I get it at the same spot on several roads.  I have come to the conclusion that the car is reacting to traffic sensors in the road triggering the ping.  I have noted the the tell tale marks in the road where the sensors have been installed and the ping happens at these spots.

• Like 1

Nube idiot question from me but where can you change the beep beeping for speed cams or going over speed limits or anything else?

@ernieb mentioned the over speed limit setting. Where do I find that? I keep reliving into the two 600 page manuals but i must be an idiot.

Thanks all.

@Nick72, page 579 of the downloaded manual, link in the online MyT app. This is all the Customisable Settings. I printed these few pages and carry then in the car with the rubbish handbook!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ernieb said:

@Nick72, page 579 of the downloaded manual, link in the online MyT app. This is all the Customisable Settings. I printed these few pages and carry then in the car with the rubbish handbook!

Great advice Ernie. I'll get those pages printed out.