Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reading engine oil level

roks

Hi All,

Am I doing something wrong or is it difficult to check oil level with these wrinkled dip stocks?

I did the oil and filter change October/November last year I put in 4.2litre as per the manual  but couldn't verify via dip stick, car on a flat road.

20210829_080944.jpg

20210829_081012.jpg

20210829_081048.jpg

Mine is the same. I can only check the oil after the car has been sitting for a while, some 10-15 min atleast,  and oil settled down.

If i wipe, and reinsert the dipstick, well, the result is then same as yours. I guess there is a bend in dipstick tube and dipstick being totally flat just rubs off it and picks up extra oil on the way up.

Your oil level is at the max mark, then after above is as Dean mentioned the stick collects oil from the tube. If you unsure you can park on level ground and check next morning before driving off you will get cleaner view. 👍

Definitely agree with Tony. Leave overnight and check on first pull out of dipstick. It's the only way I've found to get an accurate representation on the dipstick.

One thing to note - The dipstick marks are for oil min/max when the engine is at operating temperature - If you fill it to the max mark when the engine is cold you're actually overfilling it slightly!

I find the dipstick is easier to read when the engine is warm as it flows better - Normally I check about 10 minutes or so after I've turned the car off so I don't burn myself!

Thanks guys for your input on this, I tried 20min after turning off engine, there doesn't appear to be much oil left on the dip stick, only at the tip.

Thinking the oil is hot and thin I then tried first thing in the morning and that's the results in the picture at 8am.

I am also making sure the crinkled bit is pointing up when I insert it back in the tube.

The more I try, the results are worst.

Hmm, it can be harder to see when it's still warm, but there shouldn't be that much difference between cold and hot - It's usually around a cm to half a cm in my experience...!

I don't suppose you've tried turning the dipstick through 180 degrees and dipping it...? On some cars one side works better than the other, although not any of the Toyota's I've owned... (Fiesta did tho!)

Difference between min and max on 1.6 is around 1.25L, so if your are on low, 1L should be enough.

The piece of paper you used to wipe the dipstick is already soaked with oil, so the pictures cant be the 1st one from that morning.

You only get one shot, once you put dipstick back in, all messed up, and cant read oil, pretty bad design. Don't bother twisting, turning etc, it makes no difference.

• Like 1

Yes that’s right, in the morning just take the dipstick out and read, do not wipe it , oil should be between min and max. Watch for continuous oil traces and where the trace is thinner or cut that’s where the oil level actually, here it’s how my one looks at hot engine I had checked before.,Oil level seats just below the max mark and then above is that collected from the tube. 👍 If you check in the morning and your dipstick is dry then best not to use the car before top up some oil in. 

99DF2F16-30CF-4B5F-A2D4-684734C93669.jpeg

On 8/31/2021 at 7:45 AM, furtula said:

The piece of paper you used to wipe the dipstick is already soaked with oil

Yes, because I tried several times in the morning before starting, I thought I was doing something wrong.

On 8/31/2021 at 8:34 AM, TonyHSD said:

just take the dipstick out and read, do not wipe it

I've always thought you take out the stick, wipe, put in and take and read.

20 minutes ago, roks said:

Yes, because I tried several times in the morning before starting, I thought I was doing something wrong.

I've always thought you take out the stick, wipe, put in and take and read.

That’s right on most cars but on Toyota if you wipe the dipstick instead of getting the clear readings you will get that confused extra oil marks above the max point as mentioned in previous posts. If you do your checks on cold engine best to read before you wipe, if you do checks on hot engine then wipe first and then read but you will need take into account the extra oil marks. I have leaned to do both ways. 👍

19 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

read before you wipe

Will try that.

Thanks guys.

• Thanks 1

To be honest, i've always checked my vehicles oil levels when the engine is cold.

That's because on one car i had the level would read empty 10 mins after use, then full 20 minutes after use, so i had no idea which one to believe, so i "cold dip" now. If it's running well, and the level is the same as the previous time i've checked, then i assume it's about right.