Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

E10 fuel enquiry

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

19 minutes ago, Stivino said:

Surely it would be illegal to sell any product that isn’t as described?

i.e. selling E5 that is labelled as E10?

but as I understand, it is up to 10%, if that is so then it is legal. 

Maybe if the fuel in the E5 pump was E10 that would be wrong as it could damage some cars. What should be in an E5 pump is up to 5%.

• Like 1

Not advertising - it is a legal requirement to label fuel pumps. 

26 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Not advertising - it is a legal requirement to label fuel pumps. 

Of course it’s a legal requirement to label them.  But the label should reflect what is actually in them, I would have thought?

4 minutes ago, Stivino said:

Of course it’s a legal requirement to label them.  But the label should reflect what is actually in them, I would have thought?

But if Government tells fuel companys to re-label pumps in advance of the introduction of E10, that's what they do.

38 minutes ago, Catlover said:

but as I understand, it is up to 10%, if that is so then it is legal.

10 minutes ago, Stivino said:

As catlover says the label E10 means "up to 10% Ethanol" so dispensing E5 from a pump labelled E10 is perfectly legal.

If E10 is allowed to be "up to 10% ethanol" then actually getting E5 of the same octane rating from a pump seems entirely reasonable.

A bit like buying mince, if it's described as "less than 10% fat" and you get 5% fat, that's fine.

• Like 1

In that case, they could dispense fuel with 1% ethanol from an E10 pump. Or 0%.

I suppose there must be a legal minimum, too.

1 hour ago, Stivino said:

Surely it would be illegal to sell any product that isn’t as described?

i.e. selling E5 that is labelled as E10?

I could see it if they were selling a worse product as better but not if they are selling a better (E5) product instead of a worse (E10).

If you order an 8oz steak & get a 9oz for the same price do you complain?

If adding ethanol to fuel is being discussed as possibly detrimental to the motorist then "up to 5%" proving to be only, say, 3% is better for the car, so no real concern to us.

• Like 1

FWIW I’m not going to run E10 in our Aygo; but then again for the past few (many) years it’s been run on Tesco 99 (which is usually the same price as branded regular from Shell or BP). 

• Like 1

I filled my Aygo with E10 last night.

After driving 417 miles, the dash beeps and with the final bar of fuel blinking.  By the time I found a place to fill-up, that was 434 miles.

Top-off the tank with 33.63 Litres.  (Tank size 35L with maybe 1-2L on the neck?)

Anyway, when I drove away.  I did notice a drop in pedal response.  The same feeling when I used Supermarket's stuff rather than BP or Shell.  So I would expect MPG to drop.  Question is by how much?  I shall find out in the next 2 weeks.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Vandals01 said:

I filled my Aygo with E10 last night.

After driving 417 miles, the dash beeps and with the final bar of fuel blinking.  By the time I found a place to fill-up, that was 434 miles.

Top-off the tank with 33.63 Litres.  (Tank size 35L with maybe 1-2L on the neck?)

Anyway, when I drove away.  I did notice a drop in pedal response.  The same feeling when I used Supermarket's stuff rather than BP or Shell.  So I would expect MPG to drop.  Question is by how much?  I shall find out in the next 2 weeks.

Good finding 👍, now I know it’s not just me but others find it the same behaviour, exactly as I experienced top tier petrol vs supermarket fuel feeling. Interestingly in my case the car did slightly better consumption with 95 E10 from BP against Tesco 99 E5, 2 mpg up but not as smooth and responsive to drive and the price is the same therefore 99 for me👍 

Having driven two tank full I feel that the car (Mazda cx5, no turbo) feels a lot more quicker and lighter on E10. Good acceleration too. I am happily surprised. My wife who drives the 1.2 turbo Auris has not noticed any change on E10 so far.

Was driving in France and Germany several times and they had e10 petrol for a while. Did not notice power drop, but mpg dropped for about 4% for Prius MK2 nad RAV4 MK5

To my surprise, my first E10 tank gives 60.47 MPG (406.2 Miles, 30.537 Litres using BP).

It is about the same as I would get with E5.

To be fair, there are error factors into this:

1. How fill was the tank before? (was it filled to the top of the neck)

2. How fill was the tank on the second fill-up? (same position as last time? or slightly lower?)

To get a more precise number, it would be a good idea to work out an average say 5 or 10 fill ups using E10. 

However, my car having done 5000 miles is due for an oil change.  This time, I'm using 0w20 (previously 5w30) will likely to distort the MPG figure.  Possibility push it higher than before...

On my first tank of E10 and i,ve noticed it,s way smoother and responsive than before.Also my Lexus is running much better with it too with the same effect.

Stick with V-Power whilst its still E5 for now until you convert to electric 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links