Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

MyT app update

ernieb

I was beginning to feel rather deprived because, despite having had the latest update for a few days now, I still don't have a 'padlock' icon. Maybe a 2020 HEV never will ...

... but I'm beginning to feel mightily relieved that I don't! 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, philip42h said:

I was beginning to feel rather deprived because, despite having had the latest update for a few days now, I still don't have a 'padlock' icon. Maybe a 2020 HEV never will ...

... but I'm beginning to feel mightily relieved that I don't! 😉

when i updated mine, i have the padlock icon

• Like 1

I've just updated (Android, v4.4.0 2 Sep 2021) and the Play store "What's new" says for selected models provides remote lock etc. Indeed the screen shots there show the padlock.
But for my car, still no padlock showing in the app 😞

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, spicyhotone said:

I've just updated (Android, v4.4.0 2 Sep 2021) and the Play store "What's new" says for selected models provides remote lock etc. Indeed the screen shots there show the padlock.
But for my car, still no padlock showing in the app 😞

Same app version on my phone and I have the padlock 🤔

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Saxacat said:

Same app version on my phone and I have the padlock 🤔

I think it's the PHEV variant which is not supported. Seems strange the door locking infrastructure should be any different between these variants?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, spicyhotone said:

I think it's the PHEV variant which is not supported. Seems strange the door locking infrastructure should be any different between these variants?

I'd got the idea there was more functionality for the PHEV.

Although I have the padlock, there is no functionality with it; it displays a diagram of the car with a tick telling me my car is in order. I have had alerts telling me the doors are open, but by the time I noticed, the doors were shut, so not sure if there would be an indication on the car diagram. 

I'm hoping at some point the app will be able to tell me if the car is locked, and allow me to lock/unlock it from the app.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

The App update specifies selected cars. 

The way that’s worded is confusing in itself. I’ve just rechecked my MyT app and it says that the Connected Services is setup BUT there are none available for this car they will let me know when they are available?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, ernieb said:

The way that’s worded is confusing in itself. I’ve just rechecked my MyT app and it says that the Connected Services is setup BUT there are none available for this car they will let me know when they are available?

Yep - I get exactly the same.

• Like 1

Same here on mine, Updated to th latest no padlock and when you go into Connected services under the activiated tab just gives you the option deactive. on the available tab, no eligible services are available.

mine is a 2019 Icon Model with Sat Nav

• Like 1

I have a 2021 RAV, I do have the padlock but all it shows me is if the doors or windows or open.  No lock/unlock.

• Like 1

Oh and hilariously, my last journey had a fair bit of radar cruise, where it puts the brakes on and accelerates.  The app has only scored the car itself 1.5/5 for braking and accelrating 😁

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

Oh and hilariously, my last journey had a fair bit of radar cruise, where it puts the brakes on and accelerates.  The app has only scored the car itself 1.5/5 for braking and accelrating 😁

... which is why, having tried it, I now don't use DRCC in stop / start traffic. It watches the car in front and reacts to its "brake lights"; any halfway competent driver watches the cars five or six ahead and responds to the behaviour of the queue. As a driver aid DRCC is great, but it is a long way short of a viable autonomous system.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Yugguy1970 said:

Yeah it really has a lot of room for improvement!

The problem is whatever distance you set it to, it tries to keep that distance so if the car in front hoons off your car tries to keep up with it, and if they brake hard or you come up against stationary traffic it brakes really hard far too early. It's like there is a virtual solid pole attached to the car in front!

They need to engineer more rubber-banding/bungie-cord-like movement, so if the car in front moves accelerate but slower and let the gap build, and if it stops slow down gradually and let the distance close instead of trying to maintain that distance by braking so hard!

I'm on a hair-trigger with the cruise control in traffic - As soon as I see it start to wind up the ICE to engine-brake the car I jab the cancel button and let the level 1 regen slow the car gradually, slowly adding brakes as the distance closes. Often I don't even have to stop as the car in front moves and I re-engage the cruise control. Left to its own devices, the cruise would have braked sharply with several car lengths to spare then applied more power slowly to close the distance, which wastes a lot of energy and probably annoy the people behind!

• Like 1

ACC works really well if you are following a well driven Toyota using ACC.😀

Not long after I got my Corolla I thought how well it was all working.  Only when I came to a cross roads did I realise it was how well the other driver was driving.

Where find it doesn't work well is as said above is anticipation.  Particularly bad is traffic that slows and pulls off.  It properly slows but continues to brake even after your lane is clear and a car following you anticipates you accelerating whereas you continue to slow.  When it does decide to speed up it does so very slowly.

Then there is speed limit anticipation.  Slow traffic ahead may start to accelerate after a hold up when looking ahead you can see a further hold up, queuing traffic, lights etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

ACC works really well if you are following a well driven Toyota using ACC.😀

Not long after I got my Corolla I thought how well it was all working.  Only when I came to a cross roads did I realise it was how well the other driver was driving.

Where find it doesn't work well is as said above is anticipation.  Particularly bad is traffic that slows and pulls off.  It properly slows but continues to brake even after your lane is clear and a car following you anticipates you accelerating whereas you continue to slow.  When it does decide to speed up it does so very slowly.

Then there is speed limit anticipation.  Slow traffic ahead may start to accelerate after a hold up when looking ahead you can see a further hold up, queuing traffic, lights etc. 

As much as I hated my Peugeot PHEV SUV the cruise control worked exceptionally well in all circumstances including stop go. Good anticipation and great take off with traffic. Lane following too. Very disappointed in the R4P. Seems like tech from 10 to 12 years ago. 

When I look back I don't ever recall disabling or overriding it because it got something wrong. And that's Peugeot. So, lots of room for improvement from Toyota here.

The best by a very long way was the Eyesight in the Subra XV, optical but worked exceptionally well. It recognised brake lights and could differentiate between cars, vans, bikes, people, animals etc. Very smooth deceleration to stop with a slight lag, as there always seems to be, reaccelerating back to the set speed. It never phased me nor did I doubt it would work. It rarely switched off if the conditions meant it was not ‘happy’ but you were made aware that it was down to you. Frankly in poor conditions I’d not use the ACC anyway as I’d want to be in control. Less confident with the RAV to be honest. I’m not sure what the problem is but it is quirky. I’ll be interested to see if the RADAR system shutouts down when conditions are poor, it’s a 30Ghz system so it’s performance will be limited in wet, foggy type conditions.

update: I think the Toyota RADAR for DRCC is 77Ghz.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ernieb said:

The best by a very long way was the Eyesight in the Subra XV, optical but worked exceptionally well. It recognised brake lights and could differentiate between cars, vans, bikes, people, animals etc. Very smooth deceleration to stop with a slight lag, as there always seems to be, reaccelerating back to the set speed. It never phased me nor did I doubt it would work. It rarely switched off if the conditions meant it was not ‘happy’ but you were made aware that it was down to you. Frankly in poor conditions I’d not use the ACC anyway as I’d want to be in control. Less confident with the RAV to be honest. I’m not sure what the problem is but it is quirky. I’ll be interested to see if the RADAR system shutouts down when conditions are poor, it’s a 30Ghz system so it’s performance will be limited in wet, foggy type conditions.

update: I think the Toyota RADAR for DRCC is 77Ghz.

So millimetre wave radar. Shouldn't be an issue except in moderate to heavy rain and thick fog as you rightly allude but mainly that should just bring the range down from say 100 to 150m to say a third or half of that. Big metal car is a bigger return than backscatter from the rain drops. Different polarisation and a longer wavelength would sort that but means a bigger more complex antenna.

The issue for me is either in the receiver electronics - signal to noise, or the software that sits behind it all. The poor take off acceleration is just a software setting. The slow to a stop and not leaving enough tyres and tarmac visible between you and the car in front is also software. Variables in the software that need setting to different values. The poor detection and discrimination feels like system design and subsystem performance limitations.

Several times now the car has failed to see a stationary car in front stopped at the lights despite a straight and level road. Perhaps 1 to 2 times out of 10 and always with a car that was a little smaller than a golf. This makes me think there could be an elevation angle issue with the radar and its vertical field of regard plus the above deficiencies.

But I suspect most of the time I'll only use the CC on the motorways or long dual carriageway so my recent experiments are in conditions where I wouldn't normally use it so much. 

BTW... I disabled the DRCC RSA function as I could not change the speed from the detected speed limit which it automatically set itself to. Pressing plus or minus just disabled the cruise completely. With RSA DRCC disabled everything works as it should and I can change speed no problem. 

Sorry I'm probably turning this thread into one about DRCC so apologies to everyone. 

What I really want now on the MyT app are the warnings about doors and windows open, car lock unlock functions, and ideally remote ICE start for cold winters in case there isn't enough Battery powered umpf in the air con.

@Nick72, yes mm wave and agree with your observations, certainly at 77Ghz the potential is there for the rain drop size to be comparable with the transmitted wavelength.  My company many years ago made one of the first form the S class Merc, at the time very much ahead of the game, this was an option that cost the same as buying a new small UK car! All good stuff but as you say well off the original post, easy done so apologies.

Like you I’m very frustrated that the app does not work as I’d have expected after a few of updates now, I don’t even have the lock symbol just the same as it always was. ☹️

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ernieb said:

@Nick72, yes mm wave and agree with your observations, certainly at 77Ghz the potential is there for the rain drop size to be comparable with the transmitted wavelength.  My company many years ago made one of the first form the S class Merc, at the time very much ahead of the game, this was an option that cost the same as buying a new small UK car! All good stuff but as you say well off the original post, easy done so apologies.

Like you I’m very frustrated that the app does not work as I’d have expected after a few of updates now, I don’t even have the lock symbol just the same as it always was. ☹️

We should catch up. A part of my company reverse engineered the Merc radars and improved them, selling the IP back to Merc, or doing something of mutual value but I can't recall exactly. About 10 or so years back.

Hopefully we will see an update before year end. The traditional manufacturers are waking up to the new world of apps and tech. I wished Toyota and Tesla had a JV. Tesla can do the app and car tech but the drive train, AC, car design and build etc. by Toyota.

3 minutes ago, Nick72 said:

We should catch up. A part of my company reverse engineered the Merc radars and improved them, selling the IP back to Merc, or doing something of mutual value but I can't recall exactly. About 10 or so years back.

Hopefully we will see an update before year end. The traditional manufacturers are waking up to the new world of apps and tech. I wished Toyota and Tesla had a JV. Tesla can do the app and car tech but the drive train, AC, car design and build etc. by Toyota.

We only manufactured the microwave head units, my company was based entirely on microwave products, from the early days of semiconductor two terminal devices, components, sub assemblies, low capacity telephony systems and video systems for the BBC outside broadcasts etc., all good fun and I spent > 30 years there, exciting times with massive leaps in technology. (Independent UK company but US owned)

I've read that Tesla are thinking of abandoning RADAR systems in favour of high resolution GPS?  They still use LIDAR etc., but I also think that there is a place for optical systems? Right now I would not want to put my trust into a fully automated car it seems problematic to gets the basics right a lot of the time.
Back on the OP, like getting the app to work across a range of the same range of cars manufactured in different years.

• Like 1

". This makes me think there could be an elevation angle issue with the radar and its vertical field of regard plus the above deficiencies" 

This is actually covered in my handbook. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

". This makes me think there could be an elevation angle issue with the radar and its vertical field of regard plus the above deficiencies" 

This is actually covered in my handbook. 

Got my attention Roy. Which handbook? Ta

@Nick72, page 336 of the downloaded owners manual and the subsequent pages. It goes into why the system may not work as expected. Interesting but “a get out of goal free card” in some respects, a jaundiced view I guess.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links