Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla hybrid

Lok

1 hour ago, Bozz said:

I can't remember being in any Prius taxi that was driven carefully especially in the cities of N America but all seemed to have covered more than 100k miles.

Also I seem to remember reading that the 1.8 was more suitable in its design than the 2.0 for big mileages.

Bozz 

I have suspected the same that 1.8 might be the better mileage eater than 2.0. 

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

Re Prius looks.  At one time I hated it’s looks, particularly gen1 and2. Gen3 was a bit better in my eyes.  But they say beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I got to like the looks of the Gen3, so bought a second hand one, 9 years old, 105k miles, loved it and 6 months later bought the Gen4 when it was 20 months old. I love it’s looks, love everything about it really, every drive is just wonderful, and this is 3 years on now. 

Yes I agree gen 3 also looks better on my ways more acceptable but as you said beauty is in the eyes of beholder. That's will I went yesterday and I saw the new corolla because all the I say to me gen 4 not beauty

34 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

I have suspected the same that 1.8 might be the better mileage eater than 2.0. 

The 2.0 engines are part of the dynamic force range, which has only been out for about 3 years and is therefore relatively unproven compared to the 1.8 units.

They also make use of modern innovations to try and squeeze every last drop of efficiency out, e.g a variable displacement oil pump and a very aggressive VVT system that relies on a small motor to achieve a higher range of adjustment than what is possible with traditional solenoids.

I suspect the heart of the engine will last just fine, but some of these ancillary components could give up the ghost at really high miles. Speaking about the Corolla in particular, it's a shame that they've paired the newer engine technology with the old style Battery (NimH). It's a higher capacity Battery than the lithium one that the 1.8 gets, but lithium can charge & discharge more rapidly, meaning there's potentially better hybrid system efficiency and, of course, a significant weight saving. I can't help but think the economy difference would have been much narrower had they managed to stretch to a lithium Battery for both engine sizes.

• Like 3

Do you mean the new 2.0 Corollas still come with NiMH batteries?? Didn't know that...!

Wonder why they would... the only real advantage of NiMH these days is they're cheaper and are slightly better for the environment than Li-ion (Materials have less environmental impact, and unlike lithium they can actually be recycled economically, tho' not as well as lead-acid batteries!)

The good that I like the warranty of new it's awesome more than 10 years I was thinking to buy second hand but with no warranty it's a bid risk for me

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

Do you mean the new 2.0 Corollas still come with NiMH batteries?? Didn't know that...!

Wonder why they would... the only real advantage of NiMH these days is they're cheaper and are slightly better for the environment than Li-ion (Materials have less environmental impact, and unlike lithium they can actually be recycled economically, tho' not as well as lead-acid batteries!)

Yes, the electric motor used for assisting propulsion (MGU2?) is about 50% more powerful in the 2.0 model, so a higher capacity Battery is called for (6.5Ah Vs 3.6 in the 1.8). With that much of a difference, I expect that budget constraints dictated the use of NiMh.

16 hours ago, Lok said:

The good that I like the warranty of new it's awesome more than 10 years I was thinking to buy second hand but with no warranty it's a bid risk for me

I think there is still a mileage limit. Could be 100,000 miles.

yes. https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/warranty/toyota-warranty

The traditional Toyota Extended Warranty (which I believe are still available) might be able to squeak some more mileage (20K) if you were to take it out before hitting 100K but of course at extra cost.

19 hours ago, Red_Corolla said:

Yes, the electric motor used for assisting propulsion (MGU2?) is about 50% more powerful in the 2.0 model, so a higher capacity battery is called for (6.5Ah Vs 3.6 in the 1.8). With that much of a difference, I expect that budget constraints dictated the use of NiMh.

That's funny as they did the opposite in the Mk4 Yaris!! :laugh:

The electric motors are noticeably more powerful but they put in a lithium Battery that has less capacity than the Mk3's NiMH!! (IIRC the Mk3 has a 1.2kWh NiMH Battery but apparently the Mk4 only has a 700Wh Li+ Battery!?)

4 minutes ago, Cyker said:

That's funny as they did the opposite in the Mk4 Yaris!! :laugh:

The electric motors are noticeably more powerful but they put in a lithium battery that has less capacity than the Mk3's NiMH!! (IIRC the Mk3 has a 1.2kWh NiMH battery but apparently the Mk4 only has a 700Wh Li+ battery!?)

Well, they've quoted the capacities in Ah in the Corolla brochure, so it's possible that they're trying to be a bit sneaky!
1.2KWh is unequivocally more energy than 0.7. But when you compare in Ah, you can't be sure of a fair comparison without knowing if the voltages are the same. I don't think that voltage is mentioned. 😉

Yeah, very true! I think the Mk4 's pack runs at about a 100v higher than the Mk3's if that's any halp...!

Frankly I don't mind the Battery being smaller as the back of the car already looks like it's got a concrete slab in it or something it sits so low! My friend was joking that they put the springs for the petrol model on the hybrid model by mistake :laugh: 

• Like 2

On 8/31/2021 at 11:24 PM, Rolando1 said:

As others have mentioned space for rear passengers is tight in the hatchback version which is fine if your not planning to have rear passengers for long journeys

Other people can get their own damn' cars.

😄 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, AndrueC said:

😄 😄

Seen few hatchbacks as private hire in London or perhaps are doing Uber eat only 🤣🤭🚙

No popcorn or cornflakes been mentioned 🤣🤭🙅🏻‍♂️

• 1 month later...
On 9/1/2021 at 7:29 PM, TonyHSD said:

The Prius could have been slightly more widely acceptable designed perhaps the next generation 5 will be, but it is is what it is and all the design is functional. All lines, crevices and the overall shape has serve a purpose, to be more aerodynamic, that’s why is more efficient than Auris /Corolla., plus Prius has less unsprung weight on front axle and partly on rear one too., smaller brake discs, callipers and drive shafts and wheel bearings., every grams matters. Prius is also narrower than Auris / Corolla , this is of ultra importance about fuel economy, same as comparison between narrower and wider tyres 👍 I believe the difference between Prius and Corolla saloon will be the smallest one, if anyone is looking for the greatest efficiency but does not like the Prius shape. Hyundai ionic is very similar to Prius too, it’s even perhaps better both inside out but does not have this unique hybrid drive train that Toyota/Lexus has. 👌

So they dont have all this "Aerodynamic" holy grail in other cars then? How redic.

On 9/4/2021 at 3:01 PM, AndrueC said:

😄 😄

Our back seat pax is 96.  I keep telling her daughter that I am not buying a car for rear seat space. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ApophisAstros said:

So they dont have all this "Aerodynamic" holy grail in other cars then? How redic.

No they don't.  All design is a compromise. 

The early SAAB 99 unique selling point for a mid size family saloon was safety and drag factor. Both the saloon and hatchback were so clean that they didn't provide rear wipers. 

As others will attest, short hatchbacks like the Corolla have dirty air at the back.  How that affects performance I do not know. 

15 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

The early SAAB 99 unique selling point for a mid size family saloon was safety and drag factor. Both the saloon and hatchback were so clean that they didn't provide rear wipers. 

As others will attest, short hatchbacks like the Corolla have dirty air at the back.  How that affects performance I do not know. 

Well that’s easy, performance no affect but efficiency yes,  dirty rear end means more turbulence and turbulence means drag and drag mean energy loss. Same happened when open passenger window by half on the motorway. From Corolla models the saloon will be the most efficient, close to Prius, which Btw are quieter cars when driving pass next to you at around 30mph in comparison with other cars which are less aerodynamic., not talking about engine or tyre noise but wind noise. , been monitoring that particular matter for some time. 👌

• Like 2

Thank you, by performance I was encompassing all aspects which determine fuel economy. 

I admit to never actually looked at a Prius, to my eye it is as anonymous as you can get.  Mrs Roy however rejected it out of hand on appearance grounds. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

I admit to never actually looked at a Prius, Mrs Roy however rejected it out of hand on appearance grounds. 

Mrs Stopeter thinks the Prius is too big, but some friends have two, one of which they can get a concert harp into! The Steinway won't fit in either of them ! But they love the fuel economy.

I think the new Prius looks too much like a piece of cheese. But I'd have bought it for the PHEV functionality if it weren't for the complete inability to get my golf kit in the boot.

I don’t know why but many people think my Auris gen 1 is actually a Prius and even I have people trying to get in while waiting on the street fouling themselves I am an Uber driver waiting for them 😂. My gf bought an ionic which ironically is the second choice for Uber these days and she says that she had already experienced the same taxi jokes 😁🚕

7 hours ago, Roy124 said:

not at our road speeds no difference at all imoa..

roger

7 hours ago, AndrueC said:

I think the new Prius looks too much like a piece of cheese. But I'd have bought it for the PHEV functionality if it weren't for the complete inability to get my golf kit in the boot.

The Gen3 Prius looked more like a slice of cheese, Gen2 perhaps even more so.. The Gen4 is totally different.

Cd drag co-efficient for the

1) Corolla Hatchback & Touring Sport 0.30, Saloon 0.28.

2) Prius 4th generation 0.24.

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Cd drag co-efficient for the

1) Corolla Hatchback & Touring Sport 0.30, Saloon 0.28.

2) Prius 4th generation 0.24.

Thank you.  The SAAB 99 50 years ago was 0.37 but I think remarkable, certainly in Ad Man terms. 

The figures above are revealling.