Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hybrid mk3 rear pads - disable brake control ??

MartinBarrett

Oops ready to go on changing my rear discs/pads and reading on the Toyota-tech-eu manual it says I need to perform the "disable brake control procedure".

If I wont be touching the brake pedal and possibly not even opening the doors is this necessary?
I will be removing brake fluid reservoir lid to relieve pressure, and possible putting bleed tube on the caliper if required to compress rear caliper.

The procedure, is
ign off, wait 2 mins, 
disconnect reservoir level switch connector with the parking brake applied.
Disconnect the cable from the negative (-) auxiliary Battery terminal
Depress the brake pedal 40 times or more to return all the fluid in the accumulator back to the reservoir. ( say what ?)
Check that the brake pedal cannot be further depressed.
Release the parking brake.

...... do I *need* to do this for disc/pad replacement?

Thanks
Martin

In a word NO as long as the ignition is off - are you looking at the correct manual (NHP130)

11 minutes ago, flash22 said:

In a word NO as long as the ignition is off - are you looking at the correct manual (NHP130)

Yes fairly sure. I bought an hour on toyota tech and drilled into nhp130

Will I be ok to bleed the brakes on a hybrid, or us that more involved than using a regular bleed kit?

Thanks so much for help, it is much appreciated

Hi, 

I have done few times brakes change and brake fluid on Auris hybrid following simple steps, I watched that video

as how to and there were no trouble. Then this one to flush the system. 
Not sure if Yaris is exactly the same but that can help familiarise yourself before proceed. Most important things are : don’t open drivers door if you leave your 12 v Battery connected, and wait for the brake system to depressurise itself before disconnect the Battery, pump up brake pedal few times before connecting the Battery, when flush rear brakes don hold the brake pedal for too long at a time, 3-5 secs max and release. You will need someone to help you. 👍

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, 

I have done few times brakes change and brake fluid on Auris hybrid following simple steps, I watched that video

as how to and there were no trouble. Then this one to flush the system. 
Not sure if Yaris is exactly the same but that can help familiarise yourself before proceed. Most important things are : don’t open drivers door if you leave your 12 v battery connected, and wait for the brake system to depressurise itself before disconnect the battery, pump up brake pedal few times before connecting the battery, when flush rear brakes don hold the brake pedal for too long at a time, 3-5 secs max and release. You will need someone to help you. 👍

Brilliant thanks. I guess if the rear caliper pistons retract nicely with just the reservoir cap off I won't need to bleed.

But great info.... 

Thanks so much

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links