Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Failed Emissions On Mot Help!

st202

had my import SSII mot'ed today but it failed on emissions, CO was suppose to be <0.30% but mine was reading 0.76% which is rather worrying, wat can u guys suggest i can do and waht can be the fault thats causing this??? i have a aftermarket exhaust on the car the garage reccomended me replacing this wiv a standard exhaust and it should work, any suggestions to this????

confused and annoyed :(

Just a suggestion, but get some fuel treatment, pour it into the tank, and take the car for a bit of a thrash - but you dont have to go too mad, just to warm up the system - the cats dont work properly first time from cold, so this could be the problem, or it may be a faulty lambda sensor (££££ and more ££££).

Good luck :thumbsup:

Have you got an induction kit on it? Having one can mean to much hot air is getting into the air inlet causing higher emissions. If you have put the OE air box back on and it should be ok.

i havent got a induction kit on the car at the mo just OEM stuff, will give that fuel injecotr a try and see if it helps, if not any other suggestions guys?? how can i check whther the lambda sensor is knackered??

if it is any help these were the readings for a the fast idle test

CO: <0.30% but was 0.76% - HC:< 200ppm vol read 66pm vol - lambda: 0.970-1.030 read 1.024 which was really marginal i guess

any ideas what the figures may indicate the fault

i failed mine mot as well 96 celica st202 turned out it was the oxygen sensor code 21. you can test this your self by going to the diagnosis box in the engine bay lift the cap get a paper clip bend it in half and bridge point TE1 + E1 NOW GO BACK IN THE CAR TURN ON THE IGNITION but dont start the engine. AND COUNT THE NUMBER OF TIMES THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT FLASHES. 2 flashes pause 1 flash indicates an oxygen sensor problem which usually means replacement they have a service life of 50-60k from what i hear and are easy to install mine cost me 220 euro from mr toyota. but if it is gone it does not matter what you put in your petrol tank because the sensor regulates the amount of air that is mixed with the fuel no working sensor wrong mix high mot reading which means you are probably wasting a lot of fuel as well. i know i was hope this helps.

i had same problems with my st202 turned out to be the oxygen sensor . got mine from local factors who supplied what turned out to be a universal 4 wire one for toyotas. you have to cut the old sensor off the loom and rejoin the new one (instructions were provided) and it worked fine -emissions back to normal .ps i had to get aflange kit to suit the new sensor which was a screw in one, cost about £55

dont have a local motor factors here :o gotta figure out where i can get hold of one of these universal sensors and flange (wats that ? :lol: ) any reccomendations around the midlands area???? so was that £55 all in then?? where is the o2 sensor located ? :P

thx dai and celica kid will try that 2morrow morning to see if it is :D

bridged a connection as u said but engline light just kept on flashing and flashing and flashing till i lost count ;) so maybe not the 02 sensor?

constant flashing means no codes stored. so nothing is wrong and the sensor should be fine. you got me. your sensor should be located in the exhaust manifold it justs bolts in to the manifold

i have nearly the same problem i am near the limit for co2 also tried that catclean stuff do not go near it with a f****ing barge pole is it the biggest pile of dog pooh i have ever used and will recomend anyone NOT TO USE CATCLEAN. no difference in emissions or fuel economy please please please do not use this ever.

bridged a connection as u said but engline light just kept on flashing and flashing and flashing till i lost count ;) so maybe not the 02 sensor?

When the lambda/O2 sensor on my MR2 failed it didn't show up on the ECU either until a garage put it on a proper diagnostic machine ( I used the trusty paperclip method). I got a replacement from justlambda and got the garage to fit it. If I'd had a celica I'd have changed it myself (you front engine people are lucky, you can get to the sensor pretty easy) You could try justlambda they usually do delivery in a couple of days try http://www.justlambda.co.uk

• 1 year later...

Hi all.

I just used a paperclip to test the 02 sensor from TE1 to E1 - what I saw was a constantly flashing

engine light.

The O/D Overdrive also flashed 6 times and then 3 times. I have a UK Jap import celica convertible 94.

Please give me your 2cents.

Cindy

Cindy. If the engine check light flashes constantly that means everything is OK. Not sure about the G/Box thingy. :thumbsup:

i have nearly the same problem i am near the limit for co2 also tried that catclean stuff do not go near it with a f****ing barge pole is it the biggest pile of dog pooh i have ever used and will recomend anyone NOT TO USE CATCLEAN. no difference in emissions or fuel economy please please please do not use this ever.

well it worked for me :thumbsup:

my emmisions were off the scale

the advice i would give is

1/ replace the lambda

2/ cataclean - dont have more than quarter of a tank of petrol in when u add it

3/ get the car hot VERY hot give it a good thrashing for half an hour before the mot and keep engine running

all this will cost u about £50 in total and half an hour to put your lambda on

lambda with flange about £33

cataclean £12 off flea bay

my next option was a new cat £250 +

but as i said this method worked 4 me

wish you luck mate i flippin hate emmisions tests :ffs: :ffs: :ffs: :ffs: :ffs:

had my import SSII mot'ed today but it failed on emissions, CO was suppose to be <0.30% but mine was reading 0.76% which is rather worrying, wat can u guys suggest i can do and waht can be the fault thats causing this??? i have a aftermarket exhaust on the car the garage reccomended me replacing this wiv a standard exhaust and it should work, any suggestions to this????

confused and annoyed :(

just had a thought you say you have an aftermarket exhaust

it hasnt been de-catted has it ???????

cos you wont EVER pass the emmisions without a cat :crybaby:

oh yeah my co was 1.05 :eek:

after all the points in previous post were done got it to 0.11 :D

The lambda sensor can fail without throwing a fault code, depending on it's mode of failure.

Your's sounds slightly rich from those values. If your garage is 'friendly' then I would make sure the car is properly hot and have it checked again (assuming it wasn't already proper hot on the previous check). If that doesn't work try a new lambda, and if that doesn't work it, a new cat is the last option.

• 1 month later...

Hi Just an FYI to everyone, I used CATACLEAN and it didnt work. My CO was .54 before on the first MOT and

.52-.54 on the second. Both Mots Failed. I changed the spark plugs, air filter and oil. The lambda read 1.0

and hc were really low.

The garage says my CAT is gone. I am reading here that I can do things like change exhaust pipes

and such and I am not sure what to do should I just go and get a new cat and what is a fair price for this

anyway and will it guarantee that I pass emissions next year?

Also, the car sometimes stalls when idle. What is that? I have a 1994/5 Celica convertible.

You could try "CATACLEAN" from Shop America.

It seems to work wonders on the advert lowering all emission levels.

Cataclean link

give tcb a call mate , you will pick up a used cat for not much , they are found also on eBay going for 50 quids .

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links