Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Highlander vs. RX L 450h

bristolmotorspeedway

Has anyone contemplated the Highlander vs. the RX?

Two 5m long 7 seat SUVs available for a very similar price. The RX is more luxurious all around, with a six cylinder rather than a four in the hybrid drivetrain. It has a far superior infotainment screen, although not sure that the underlying system is any better.

The Highlander counters by being a relatively new model likely to be in production to 2026 (?) whereas the RX probably has only months to live. I also prefer the more understated looks.

Part of me says surely buy a Lexus when it’s available for Toyota money.  

Don't know what the rx is like but the in-laws have an nx or ux can't remember.  Same size as rav externally but I find it quite claustrophobic inside compared to the rwv.

10 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

Don't know what the rx is like but the in-laws have an nx or ux can't remember.  Same size as rav externally but I find it quite claustrophobic inside compared to the rwv.

Thanks yugguy. Yeah, I can see that same thing might apply to the RX - the height difference externally between NX/Rav and RX/Highlander is quite similar (3 or 4cm). If that translates into interior height it’s pretty significant. 

It was more that the centre console was really high so it was too much like a cocoon for me.  But my sister in law loves it so I guess it's a personal preference.

The boot is bigger in the RAV as the roofline doesn't slope down as much

• Thanks 1

Current Lexus RX and NX are still based on pre TNGA platform and use older hybrid setup. This results in worst driving dynamics and fuel economy (for the similar engine size), compared to the current Highlander and RAV4. Completely agree that nav screen in Highlander should be the same as in American market, as UK one looks odd and cheap.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rav4ster said:

Current Lexus RX and NX are still based on pre TNGA platform and use older hybrid setup. This results in worst driving dynamics and fuel economy (for the similar engine size), compared to the current Highlander and RAV4. Completely agree that nav screen in Highlander should be the same as in American market, as UK one looks odd and cheap.

Good point on the old platform. 

• 1 month later...

Always been intrigued by the RX-L, It's more desirable than the Highlander. Odd why Toyota has opted to introduce a brand new model which nobody has heard of.

Hardly any on the road either.

• 2 months later...

I weighed up both and ended up in the Highlander, - @Mazi you might see me/mine on the road, I'm in Stirlingshire. 

Good to see someone else is driving one ! I’ve had mine for a couple of months and I have to say I’m absolutely delighted with it !