Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RAV4 PHEV - Are these the right guides for setting up MyT and Multimedia

Nick72

Hi All

I just watched these two videos.

I got a MyT toyota account but haven't finished all the registering which I need the car for (coming tomorrow yay!!).

Look especially complicated, like I think I need to be a Professor or something to set this up.

Are these the right videos?

You can't do it all until you have the car and the details.  You can get the verification number off a panel in the passenger door pillar, you don't need the v5

I found the full functionality of myt both in the app and online took a couple of days to appear after I had got the car.

• Like 1

Also, I seen another video saying I got to drive the car above 30mph for 30 minutes in 24 hours. What's that about?

Do I need to do whilst also entering in that unfeasibly long code?

1 minute ago, Yugguy1970 said:

You can't do it all until you have the car and the details.  You can get the verification number off a panel in the passenger door pillar, you don't need the v5

I found the full functionality of myt both in the app and online took a couple of days to appear after I had got the car.

I wonder if the delay was to do with this need to drive the car above 30mph?

2 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

MyT set up. VIN was on the docs Toyota sent me a couple of weeks ago. I just need to put the mileage in and do the start restart thingy it says in the video. Hopefully it will all be working by weekend and I can go take the wife out for some chips somewhere. 

So I put the vin number in from the order before I got the car too.

When I got it I added the multimedia, connected the car to the wireless and updated the map.

I couldn't get connected services to activate until the next day but it was weird. I tried several times but nothing so I gave up.  Then I got an email saying my car had been added to another account but in the myt app my registration appeared and connected services worked.

It might have been because I verified the car.  Search for a thread on here about verifying without the v5.  On the passenger door pillar is the code you need.

Oh and you will love the car.  The more I drive it the more I like it. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

So I put the vin number in from the order before I got the car too.

When I got it I added the multimedia, connected the car to the wireless and updated the map.

I couldn't get connected services to activate until the next day but it was weird. I tried several times but nothing so I gave up.  Then I got an email saying my car had been added to another account but in the myt app my registration appeared and connected services worked.

It might have been because I verified the car.  Search for a thread on here about verifying without the v5.  On the passenger door pillar is the code you need.

Oh and you will love the car.  The more I drive it the more I like it. 

Cheers buddy, really helpful. 

One thing I don't understand is why we need to enable wifi hotspot on the mobile phone and have the car connect that way. 

Is it the case that everytime I use the car I need to switch on Wifi hotspot on my phone or was that just a one off? What does it (the car) need a WiFi and hence internet connection for?

No I didn't use wifi hotspot on my phone

The car itself has a modem so it connected to my home wireless.

Phone was just connected to the car with bluetooth.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Nick72 said:

Cheers buddy, really helpful. 

One thing I don't understand is why we need to enable wifi hotspot on the mobile phone and have the car connect that way. 

Is it the case that everytime I use the car I need to switch on Wifi hotspot on my phone or was that just a one off? What does it (the car) need a WiFi and hence internet connection for?

That's an interesting question and one that has puzzled me from time to time. I believe that:

• The MyT app reports Trip data via the built in SIM and the ECall system - see here: 
  • Data shared with, send to, and over the air updates of the multimedia system are communicated via WiFi and the Internet - the driver must provide the Internet connection either via mobile tethering, a home network or any other available WiFi service. You can also opt to receive traffic updates over the Internet and again you must provide the Internet service to do this. See: HOW DOES MYT WORK?

So, Toyota 'spies' on us on their dollar and we have little or no say about that. Optional services that we want are carried over an Internet connection we provide - no Internet = no service.

I think ... 😉

• Like 1

Same with Ford.  If you want connected services like real time traffic or car location you have to let the car talk back to Ford about your journeys.

• Like 1

if it is like my older version of T2G the internet connection from your phone can be used to provide more current traffic information than the DAB Traffic Information service (although iirc in mine I use bluetooth  rather than wifi).

At least on mine there are very few "connected services" that you would actually want (several went away when some e.g. Google changed their licence terms).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, philip42h said:

That's an interesting question and one that has puzzled me from time to time. I believe that:

• The MyT app reports Trip data via the built in SIM and the ECall system - see here: 
  • Data shared with, send to, and over the air updates of the multimedia system are communicated via WiFi and the Internet - the driver must provide the Internet connection either via mobile tethering, a home network or any other available WiFi service. You can also opt to receive traffic updates over the Internet and again you must provide the Internet service to do this. See: HOW DOES MYT WORK?

So, Toyota 'spies' on us on their dollar and we have little or no say about that. Optional services that we want are carried over an Internet connection we provide - no Internet = no service.

I think ... 😉

So how on earth does remote conditioning work? Or checking the charge level via the App? You could be a half mike away and your car is in a car park somewhere. So it must have it's own 3G or 4G modem in the car. It's own internet connection. Else none of that stuff would work?

19 minutes ago, Nick72 said:

So how on earth does remote conditioning work? Or checking the charge level via the App? You could be a half mike away and your car is in a car park somewhere. So it must have it's own 3G or 4G modem in the car. It's own internet connection. Else none of that stuff would work?

That's all PHEV stuff, so your problem rather than mine!  😆

(... but since you are paying extra for the service, I suspect that is also going via the ECall SIM )

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, philip42h said:

That's all PHEV stuff, so your problem rather than mine!  😆

(... but since you are paying extra for the service, I suspect that is also going via the ECall SIM )

Must be. It's all included in the package with work. Company car. I dont even pay insurance. We have a blanket corporate insurance covering any and all vehicles for all employees over 25.

What I’ve read on the Toyota web site is that “connected services” are included for 10 years but the multimedia is for 3 years then a fee which I think is £129 per year (maps, cameras, parking etc.)

I’d be happy enough to retain the connected services and stick with Android Auto/Waze and just the basic fee European map.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ernieb said:

What I’ve read on the Toyota web site is that “connected services” are included for 10 years but the multimedia is for 3 years then a fee which I think is £129 per year (maps, cameras, parking etc.)

I’d be happy enough to retain the connected services and stick with Android Auto/Waze and just the basic fee European map.

Thanks Ernie. 

Car goes back in 3 years and another choice is supplied so it sounds like I'm covered. 129 a year is quite steep.

On my admittedly older version of T2G the 3 year deal is far better value than the 1 year - 3 years maps + connected services for £199.

• Like 1