Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Hybrid MPG

Bernard Foy

Hi All,

Latest update on mpg for my Yaris. Miles travelled = 367.5 of those miles 240 were on hilly A roads and the remaining miles were pottering around the town. Everywhere I go around here is hilly including the town. Calculated from full tank to full tank it worked out at 73.89 miles per gallon. When considering the road conditions I’m very pleased with that. Other Yaris owners driving on flatter terrain may get better mpg.

• Like 3

Impressive mpg from the latest generation Yaris.

• Like 1

Yes I was pleased with just one passenger on board. Next week I will be traveling with one passenger and light luggage and golf clubs and electric golf trolleys for two of us on similar type roads, it will be interesting to compare the loaded mpg ?.

• Like 1

its is good my wife has a new one, we took it to wales, did around 400 to the tank, average around 78mpg. I was very impressed, she is currently averaging around 70, don't think she even uses ev mod much at all either it is always full.

• Like 1

Yeah aside from the first two tanks mine has consistently been getting mid-70 to low 80's tank average, and considering the way I drive that's miraculous! :laugh:

The fact that you're getting that on hilly places just shows how much they've improved the hybrid system over the previous version - You had to really work at it to get anywhere near those sorts of figures on the Mk3.

I also like that the car has some poke when you want it! :naughty: :laugh: 

• Like 4

I did a 300 mile round trip this week, mostly motorways.

80 mpg on the way, and 74 mpg on the way back.

Really pleased with MK4 Yaris's fuel consumption.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dazayit said:

its is good my wife has a new one, we took it to wales, did around 400 to the tank, average around 78mpg. I was very impressed, she is currently averaging around 70, don't think she even uses ev mod much at all either it is always full.

I wasn’t trying to be economically driving, but I was driving normally according to the road and traffic conditions and tried though not always succeeding to keep inside the speed limits. I don’t rely on the car computer figures just full tank to full tank and use my hand held calculator. I just leave the car in eco mode all the time. Averaging 78 mpg is fantastic.

• Like 2

Toyota have sure done some good work to get those mpg figures Bernard. Compared to previous model it’s a revelation. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Toyota have sure done some good work to get those mpg figures Bernard. Compared to previous model it’s a revelation. 

It’s way way a totally different and better car in all respects Joe. Better to drive, much more comfortable, way better mpg. In other words “It’s a keeper”👍🚘.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

It’s way way a totally different and better car in all respects Joe. Better to drive, much more comfortable, way better mpg. In other words “It’s a keeper”👍🚘.

Agreed - other half got her MK4 in March and was very tempted to get one for me but eventually got a good deal on a new Corolla. But yes, much better MPG and annoyingly her driving shows better economy than me in the same car/situation and I've been hybrid twice as long!

It really is a nice car if you don't need lots of space. Its also OK to drive on faster roads too - MK3 was a bit hard work.

• Like 2

i did the exact same, mrs got hers through work and we were was just sitting in the dealer with a corolla gr next to me and couldn't stop looking at it, so ended up ordering one the day after. Averaging 50MPG in that also .

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/2/2021 at 4:19 PM, Bernard Foy said:

Yes I was pleased with just one passenger on board. Next week I will be traveling with one passenger and light luggage and golf clubs and electric golf trolleys for two of us on similar type roads, it will be interesting to compare the loaded mpg ?.

Update:: On the golfing trip on narrow hilly roads all around Mayo, Sligo, and Donegal loaded with the above the wee Yaris produced 69.9 mpg, which I was quite impressed with considering the roads were hilly and narrow, most of the time.

• Like 3

It's pretty incredible how much it has improved! The Mk3 would drop a lot of mpgs if you were traversing hilly areas; It's one of the reasons madasafish and me stuck with our Mk1 D4Ds for so long (At least until I got ULEZ'd! :crybaby: )

I can't wait for the day flash, tonyhsd and catlover have an opportunity to get one of the TNGA hybrids... they are so good! :biggrin: (But sadly so !Removed! expensive too! :crybaby: )

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

It's pretty incredible how much it has improved! The Mk3 would drop a lot of mpgs if you were traversing hilly areas; It's one of the reasons madasafish and me stuck with our Mk1 D4Ds for so long (At least until I got ULEZ'd! :crybaby: )

I can't wait for the day flash, tonyhsd and catlover have an opportunity to get one of the TNGA hybrids... they are so good! :biggrin: (But sadly so !Removed! expensive too! :crybaby: )

Joe has one since 5 years ago and it’s the first tnga car Prius gen 4. I am ok with my auris it does 62mpg still fairly young at only 11 , needs to see her teenage and then I can swap for tnga Prius or Corolla. 🚙👍

7 hours ago, Cyker said:

I am very impressed with the Mk4 Yaris, the reviews on here from owners are really good. Wife and I each had mk2 diesel Yaris and really loved them. Lots of cubby whole for storage, slide and tilt rear seats to give larger load area space when we went on hols.  But love my Prius, every day I drive it is like day 1 of ownership. I am known as one who change cars frequently because I love driving different cars, but the Prius is the car I was looking for all my life but didn’t know it. Now 5 years old, it’s going to run on with me until I can’t get out of it (it’s easy getting in 😄)

• Like 1

When we got the Yaris it had 23mpg average as it had likely been trundled across the forecourt a few times.

A few journeys to work got that to 54mpg, then the missus reset it yesterday morning.

On her 12 mile each way journey to work which is 50% town and 50% country, she got 75.6mpg.

Amazing.

• Like 3

I don't reset the MPG very often, I let it run over 3 or 4 tanks as I find it then gives me a better indication of overall consumption. Just checking it for long trips ignores all those short trips to the shops with the engine cold!  I find I always end up with 57 mpg on my Mk3 Hybrid.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Catlover said:

I am very impressed with the Mk4 Yaris, the reviews on here from owners are really good. Wife and I each had mk2 diesel Yaris and really loved them. Lots of cubby whole for storage, slide and tilt rear seats to give larger load area space when we went on hols.  But love my Prius, every day I drive it is like day 1 of ownership. I am known as one who change cars frequently because I love driving different cars, but the Prius is the car I was looking for all my life but didn’t know it. Now 5 years old, it’s going to run on with me until I can’t get out of it (it’s easy getting in 😄)

Ahh a man of taste! :biggrin:  The early Yaris diesels were amazingly good cars; I still miss my Mk1 a bit!

I will say I much prefer the Mk2's interior to the Mk4's - It's much more flexible, esp. in terms of closable storage and passenger space (I really miss the sliding rear bench!), and the visibility is far far better and the high driving position makes it much easier to get in and out of (I sort of fall into the Mk4 as it's so much lower!). If they did the Mk2 with the Mk4's drive train I think that would be my perfect car! :laugh: 

1 hour ago, Yugguy1970 said:

When we got the Yaris it had 23mpg average as it had likely been trundled across the forecourt a few times.

A few journeys to work got that to 54mpg, then the missus reset it yesterday morning.

On her 12 mile each way journey to work which is 50% town and 50% country, she got 75.6mpg.

Amazing.

That's the thing that's blown me away about the Mk4 - You don't even have to try and you get ridiculous mpg :biggrin: 

Toyota really worked some magic with this drivetrain!

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Ahh a man of taste! :biggrin:  The early Yaris diesels were amazingly good cars; I still miss my Mk1 a bit!

I will say I much prefer the Mk2's interior to the Mk4's

At the time when the Mk 1 and the Mk 2 were new cars, I loved the design, my wife especially loved them, but we lived in the big city and a car was a waste of space for us. We, very, occasionally drove them as rental cars, and I always found the "feeling" of the cars way too light for my taste. I was much more Volkswagen or Opel in those days. I only ever drove the petrol variants.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

hat's the thing that's blown me away about the Mk4 - You don't even have to try and you get ridiculous mpg :biggrin: 

Toyota really worked some magic with this drivetrain!

Yep, absolutely.  She's not a speeder or a hypermiler, she just drives normally, making progress as they call it.

She is becoming converted to the joy of automatic hybrids. 😃

• Like 1

I'm certainly appreciating the great MPG of my Mark IV Yaris with the current madness at petrol forecourts!

• Like 2

Yaris hybrid from 2020 has really interesting technical characteristics: weights around 1100kg, has total power output of 114bhp and 140Nm of torque plus 120Nm of electric motor torque, these are impressive figures and help a lot with efficiency. Here it’s more information https://www.ultimatespecs.com/car-specs/Toyota/119458/Toyota-Yaris-(XP21)-15-Hybrid.html

Corolla or Prius 1.8 hybrid weights 1310kg with total power output of 122bhp. 200kg more for almost the same power, will it be the next gen Prius coming with the similar to Yaris engine but bigger at 1.6 3 cylinder with 132bhp for example and ability to run on hydrogen or 85% ethanol. , perhaps another year or two before we see 😉

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Yaris hybrid from 2020 has really interesting technical characteristics: weights around 1100kg, has total power output of 114bhp and 140Nm of torque plus 120Nm of electric motor torque, these are impressive figures and help a lot with efficiency. Here it’s more information https://www.ultimatespecs.com/car-specs/Toyota/119458/Toyota-Yaris-(XP21)-15-Hybrid.html

Corolla or Prius 1.8 hybrid weights 1310kg with total power output of 122bhp. 200kg more for almost the same power, will it be the next gen Prius coming with the similar to Yaris engine but bigger at 1.6 3 cylinder with 132bhp for example and ability to run on hydrogen or 85% ethanol. , perhaps another year or two before we see 😉

Mk4 yaris has better 0-62 than the my18 auris...and it definitely feels it. Its very different to the mk3

• Like 2