Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Map Updates (yet again!)

philip42h

I'm pretty sure that all the relevant information has appeared across various posts on this forum already but I thought I'd add my summary ...

I have a 2020 MY HEV. It came with Map DB version 2019 v2 installed ...

The day after I got it I did an OTA install of one of the 2020 maps and again earlier this year an OTA update to 2021 v1 GB, IE. So, this morning the "Current map version" was given as:

• Map DB version 2019 v2
  • 2021 v1 GB, IE

Note here that the OTA update simply adds the latest version of mapping for your current region - on top of any earlier mapping database that already exists. The OTA guide suggests that if you are more than two updates behind you will need to perform a full map download. OTA updates can be interrupted without issue - they simply carry on from where they left off. 

I am hoping to get across the channel later this month and wanted the latest maps of France installed - OK, the 2019 maps would really have been just fine but ... 😉

So I was hoping to be able to install the latest maps for France (i.e. 2021 v1) via a USB download but this didn't quite go as expected nor as described in the "Map Update Installation Guide" I downloaded from the Toyota website. In addition to the useful suggestions from roadster-rav:

I note that:

• It spends a disturbingly long time 'validating' the contents of the USB stick once you've plugged it in
  • I got absolutely no choice of region or country - the only option available was to update the map database as a whole (i.e. the whole of Europe)
  • It states categorically that you must not switch off the engine or otherwise interrupt the process and that it cannot be restarted
  • The process took well over an hour (and completed successfully)

I didn't 'experiment' with interrupting and restarting the update process - others have claimed that you can but I really didn't want (or need) to take that risk as it is in the process of replacing the whole map database - i.e. I think it deletes the old one first to make space to write the new one (I think).

So I now have a "Current map version" given as:

• Map DB version 2021 v1

If anyone knows how to update quickly country by country that might be useful to share ...

• Like 1

Well, new car came today. All set up. Required a map update which it did for an hour and a half over the air via my wifi hotspot on my phone. But, it said UK and IE. What happened to Europe. Like you I'm planning on some road trips but not until Spring. So am interested how you get on.

20 minutes ago, Nick72 said:

Well, new car came today. All set up. Required a map update which it did for an hour and a half over the air via my wifi hotspot on my phone. But, it said UK and IE. What happened to Europe. Like you I'm planning on some road trips but not until Spring. So am interested how you get on.

Yup, so for a full European map update you need to install from USB (as above). That works fine ...

If you don't need it until Spring next year you might want to wait for version 2022 v1 😉

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, philip42h said:

Yup, so for a full European map update you need to install from USB (as above). That works fine ...

If you don't need it until Spring next year you might want to wait for version 2022 v1 😉

Cheers Philip. Sounds like a right pavlova. I'll leave it until spring in that case. 😉👍

Better get 2021 v2 in Oct/Nov as 2022 v1 might be after your trip. 

• Like 1

So you can do UK MAP update over the air?  When I asked my dealer how I did this myself once receive car in 2 weeks they sent me this link https://mag.toyota.co.uk/toyota-touch-2-how-to-update-your-maps-and-software/ 

confused!  is that link out of date?

25 minutes ago, PAISLEY1903 said:

So you can do UK MAP update over the air?  When I asked my dealer how I did this myself once receive car in 2 weeks they sent me this link https://mag.toyota.co.uk/toyota-touch-2-how-to-update-your-maps-and-software/ 

confused!  is that link out of date?

Yes you can easily (but slowly) do the UK & Ireland map update OTA. Sounds as though you may need a more up-to-date dealer ... 😉

• Like 1

just looked up my notes @philip42h it was the Toyota multimedia line.. even the manufacturer didnt know hahaha ! brilliant. thank you!  Can you update the software over the air as well by any chance!