Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New PHEV arrived early this AM! It's all a bit industrial?

Nick72

At long last the R4P Dynamic Premium has landed!

Have now set up MyT. Linked to car. Seems to work.

I think I have registered the Multimedia system but how do I even know if it has or hasn't? No idea tbh.

Have downloaded a map update via OTA. My phone was a hotspot but also used the home wifi too.

Have set up Android Auto successfully. 

Downloaded Coyote app onto the car but seemed to suggest I needed to register that at some Toyota website when I tried to run it. No idea what that is or does.

No 'long press' lock unlock options on MyT so I need to report that in the other thread. Must only be for our American and Canadian cousins!

Charged it up but it took 4 hours! Should have been 2.5 hours given its 6.6kW onboard charger and my 7.4kW wall box. I don't understand that unless the very first charge takes some doing? Wall box app said it was providing 29A and 240V so that's about the right power.

So, the car, well...

I haven't driven it yet. I'm too scared.

Nice interior, but not exactly luxury like my Merc or even the Peugeot 3008 hybrid4 PHEV GT 300 I got shut of. Luxury for 2006 me thinks.

All seems very industrial. Massive dials on the aircon. Yes I saw all the vids but omg it is like shutting off the wheel valve for the steam pipe from the reactor of a nuclear submarine. 

Passenger seat is way way too high. I can't sit in it at my height and build. Head bent touching the roof. Wifey will have trouble as she too is a giant monster. May need to swap for a munchkin wife.

Switches and low res screens gave me flashbacks to 1986 video games and arcade machines. Like proper flash backs. It was very nice (say this like Borat).

Could not hear the engine at all in hybrid mode. That's awesome. That's much better than my brother's Mitsubishi Colt turbo at 290hp and 970kg. Could hear that from 1.5 miles away. Peugeot PHEV also... rather uncivilized engine sound. 

HUD is Gud. I mean it really is awesome. After spending a half hour finding the HUD brightness setting (long press of HUD option in the MID) and setting it high it was crystal clear, totally tradable in bright sun directly in front. Such an awesome feature. Best HUD I've personally seen on a car previously including my mates 3 series BMW.

A little surprised by how high the cargo area floor is. Couldn't really get much tall stuff in there compared to the previous SUV I had. Really surprised about that.

No backlit door switches. Thought that was odd. Is it 1989?

Bitterly disappointed about the missing items the north Americans and others get... heated steering wheel, wiper defrosters, digital rear view mirror, 360 cameras, 1.5kW mains inverter etc. 360 camera and inverter were the big ones for me.

Air con cooling is pretty weak in EV mode is it not? Had it on full pelt and set to LO but barely cool. Does the ICE need to be running or something? 

Doors feel a bit tinny. Not the super solid feel of the last car or my Merc before that. 

Why is the charge cable 7.5m long.

But great.

20210902_115342.jpg

• Like 3

Coyote is speed camera warning, free for 3 months then annual subscription.

• Like 1

Hi Nick...... PHEV Dynamic delivery for me in next few weeks.

Expecting a comprehensive handover at collection, so much invisible techy. stuff to cover.  

Your posting has got me worried.

Watch this space........Barry Wright Lancashire.   

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Broadway One said:

Hi Nick...... PHEV Dynamic delivery for me in next few weeks.

Expecting a comprehensive handover at collection, so much invisible techy. stuff to cover.  

Your posting has got me worried.

Watch this space........Barry Wright Lancashire.   

Hi Barry, which part?

The missing American bits? Or the industrial age stuff? Or the weirdly long charging time? I checked the wall box and it was 3.5hrs total time charging. But someone was just telling me there is a setting in the MID (drivers display) which allows you to select charging current so maybe mine is set too low.

I'm a little paranoid after the French Fiasco of the last car so I'm probably worring about nothing.

To be honest I absolutely prefer working industrial stuff over luxury aesthetics which is ropey garbage (Peugeot).

Weird charging. Break in charging occurred for some reason. Maybe I did something to disturb the car. But 3.5hrs total actually charging and 15kWhrs delivered. 

Screenshot_20210902-220233_Project EV.jpg

Glad you got the car, looks a nice one.

I quite like the chunkiness of the dials, a lot of reviewers do, it matches the styling of the exterior.  

The manual does say Aircon is reduced if in ECO but doesn't say anything about EV.

• Like 1

I pretty well run the car all the time in ECO mode and have found that the heating and AC more than adequate. In fact on some really hot days when we’ve been out for a walk it’s been impressive returning to a baking car just how quickly the AC produced very cool air, almost instantly.

• Like 1

Agree about the cable - it's very long, heavy and unwieldy isn't it. Considering investing in a shorter cable that'll take less room to store and easier to stow away! Like you, love the HUD - first time I've had one, and it's brilliant. 

• Like 1

I got virtually no hand-over (due to Covid) but I'd pretty much read the manual online first, and done a test drive, so knew my way around the important stuff. Here's my new one. Love the colour. Not had a red car for quite a while.

20210829_091343.jpg

• Like 4

Screwfix Masterplug, very flexible and they do a Metre length.

I bought the mains plug version, very pleased with it.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, spicyhotone said:

I got virtually no hand-over (due to Covid) but I'd pretty much read the manual online first, and done a test drive, so knew my way around the important stuff. Here's my new one. Love the colour. Not had a red car for quite a while.

20210829_091343.jpg

Same colour as mine (Dynamic version), great choice in my book, enjoy.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nick72 said:

Weird charging. Break in charging occurred for some reason. Maybe I did something to disturb the car. But 3.5hrs total actually charging and 15kWhrs delivered. 

Screenshot_20210902-220233_Project EV.jpg

That works out at an average rate of 4.3kW.  The charger will reduce the charging rate when the Battery is approaching full, so you will never get an average rate of 6.6 kW.

• Like 1

I’ve found that as the car retains 30% charge capacity the normal charge needed to 100% is approx 12.6Kw.  I use a 240v charge and this is typically 7.5 hours (as spec) I’ve monitored the charge rate and this definitely reduces considerably as the charge reaches 100% and is dependent on the ambient temperature. I’ve set the Battery heating/cooling on. 
My understanding, mentioned before, is that the Battery is never actually charged to 100% even though it shows that on the MyT app or in the car. 

• Like 1

For the avoidance of doubt, I take it you mean 12.6 kWh?  Over 7.5 h that equates to an average charge rate of 1.6kW.

• Like 1

The traction Battery is 18.1Kwh and 30% is reserved for the Hybrid mode so 5.46Kwh leaving the balance for the EV mode.  The car never lets you use the EV mode below the 30% reserve and the vast majority of times when I charge the car it’s between 30 and 32% left in the Battery.  As I’ve said the charge is not constant and is adjusted throughout it appears to be dependent on the Battery and ambient temperatures. It also seems that Toyota have shaped the charging to maximise the life of the battery. 
The advice is not to leave the traction battery in 100% charged state which is why they have the charge option to set a leaving time. Sorry for any confusion?

The traction battery is 96 cells @ 3.7volts, 51Ah @ 355.2 volts.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ernieb said:

Much better to use Waze and save the cash.

Hi Ernie what is the best speed cameras for when using the Toyota maps , apologies car due in 2 weeks so just getting prepared for it !  I need to use the Toyota maps when working but my android auto in my own time

@PAISLEY1903, sorry I can not really help you, I currently use the one that Toyota supplies as part of the Navigation system is I've not connected Waze and they seem to capture most.  There is a paid for app on the Toyota app site, not much else frankly, which might be better and perhaps someone uses that option? An alternative would be to have your phone powered and showing the maps with the speed cameras, not a brilliant solution. Someone else will be able to come up with a better alternative?

24 minutes ago, ernieb said:

@PAISLEY1903, sorry I can not really help you, I currently use the one that Toyota supplies as part of the Navigation system is I've not connected Waze and they seem to capture most.  There is a paid for app on the Toyota app site, not much else frankly, which might be better and perhaps someone uses that option? An alternative would be to have your phone powered and showing the maps with the speed cameras, not a brilliant solution. Someone else will be able to come up with a better alternative?

Hi Ernie, I'm a bit confused, in that I thought the Nav system built in speed camera and the paid for app (Coyote?) were one and the same? I got my car at the end of May and regularly got camera alerts, then they just stopped; I assumed this was because I had to pay for the app. Your post seems to suggest that the Nav system alerts are free.

@Saxacat, you may well be correct as I tested mine when I first got the car so many be got it wrong. I’ll try to check it out when I use the car tomorrow. I seem to remember that the dealer said the Touch 2 system had them installed as part of the Map care package?

• Like 1

Just had a look at the manual and it says that Safety Cameras can be displayed, it does not mention a separate app?

E79FE88A-8728-403F-9788-E94FA16B85B3.png

• Like 1

again a caveat in that I have an older version of T2G but in mine you can elect to show or not show (for countries where it is illegal) speed cameras. Also, if you have the head unit conneted to the internet (in my case via bluetooth tethering from my phone) you an add camera locations as you travel.

• Like 1