Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New PHEV arrived early this AM! It's all a bit industrial?

Nick72

11 hours ago, Yugguy1970 said:

Glad you got the car, looks a nice one.

I quite like the chunkiness of the dials, a lot of reviewers do, it matches the styling of the exterior.  

The manual does say Aircon is reduced if in ECO but doesn't say anything about EV.

Thanks. Yeh it wasn't in Eco. All set on full blast. Wasn't remotely cool but slightly cooler than the air already in the cabin. Not by much. Not sure if there's an issue but will experiment. 

9 hours ago, ernieb said:

I pretty well run the car all the time in ECO mode and have found that the heating and AC more than adequate. In fact on some really hot days when we’ve been out for a walk it’s been impressive returning to a baking car just how quickly the AC produced very cool air, almost instantly.

I'm thinking either I'm pressing the wrong buttons or settings or it's not working 😥

8 hours ago, spicyhotone said:

Agree about the cable - it's very long, heavy and unwieldy isn't it. Considering investing in a shorter cable that'll take less room to store and easier to stow away! Like you, love the HUD - first time I've had one, and it's brilliant. 

I think I need a shorter cable for sure. 4m would be perfect but I can only see them in 3, 5, 7.5 etc.

One thing about my HUD and I only noticed when out for a drive earlier was that it is slightly wonky. Not quite level. Needs rotating a few degrees clockwise. But, I went into settings to do the rotation and it is already at the maximum clockwise rotation. It goes the other way but that makes it worse. Not sure if this was a dodgy installation. 

8 hours ago, spicyhotone said:

I got virtually no hand-over (due to Covid) but I'd pretty much read the manual online first, and done a test drive, so knew my way around the important stuff. Here's my new one. Love the colour. Not had a red car for quite a while.

20210829_091343.jpg

Nice colour. I loved the red but my Merc in Jupiter red and AMG kitted out was a magnet for people that wanted to RAM you or race you so I said not again. Love the colour though on the RAV4P.

On 9/2/2021 at 7:07 PM, Nick72 said:

...No 'long press' lock unlock options on MyT so I need to report that in the other thread. Must only be for our American and Canadian cousins!

... Massive dials on the aircon...

...Passenger seat is way way too high. I can't sit in it at my height and build...

...Switches and low res screens gave me flashbacks to 1986 video games and arcade machines...

...No backlit door switches. Thought that was odd. Is it 1989?

By "long press" do you mean to open and close windows and roof using the key fob?  If so, it needs to be enabled by the dealer (or someone with a Techstream or similar) - don't ask me why!   I asked my dealer to do it before delivery.  Great in hot weather to let all the heat out while walking to the car.

I like the rotary knobs for aircon, volume and track - so easy to find and adjust quickly.

Agree on passenger seats - I can sit ok when in, but getting in and out (back as well) is hard as I find the roof too low compared to the seat height.  Some of my friends (also old gits like me) also have problems - we're just not bendy enough any more!  Thank goodness the electric drivers seat on my car has 2 memories - I have one for driving position, the other for getting in and out.

Yes the screens are very poor - some reviewers have also likened them to 1980s video games.  So many manufactures have had immensely better screens for 8-10 years now - even Ford is much better!  I have the 360° cameras, which are fantastic, but spoiled in brightish light because the display is hard to see - it doesn't even have to be directly shining on the screen to spoil it.  The speedo screen too, is illegible on the bottom half a lot of the time.  Luckily, the digital speedo is near the top and shielded by the small bit of cowling.

Some owners have got CH-R switch panels from breakers' yards or eBay and say they're easy to fit.  I don't want to mess with mine as I'm an expert at breaking things other people can work on with ease - so I asked my dealer to quote for one, but the official brand new switch panel is almost £500!!

If you're interested, have a look at this thread:

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/192721-mk5-window-switches/?do=findComment&comment=1529672

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, PeteB said:

By "long press" do you mean to open and close windows and roof using the key fob?  If so, it needs to be enabled by the dealer (or someone with a Techstream or similar) - don't ask me why!   I asked my dealer to do it before delivery.  Great in hot weather to let all the heat out while walking to the car.

I like the rotary knobs for aircon, volume and track - so easy to find and adjust quickly.

Agree on passenger seats - I can sit ok when in, but getting in and out (back as well) is hard as I find the roof too low compared to the seat height.  Some of my friends (also old gits like me) also have problems - we're just not bendy enough any more!  Thank goodness the electric drivers seat on my car has 2 memories - I have one for driving position, the other for getting in and out.

Yes the screens are very poor - some reviewers have also likened them to 1980s video games.  So many manufactures have had immensely better screens for 8-10 years now - even Ford is much better!  I have the 360° cameras, which are fantastic, but spoiled in brightish light because the display is hard to see - it doesn't even have to be directly shining on the screen to spoil it.  The speedo screen too, is illegible on the bottom half a lot of the time.  Luckily, the digital speedo is near the top and shielded by the small bit of cowling.

Some owners have got CH-R switch panels from breakers' yards or eBay and say they're easy to fit.  I don't want to mess with mine as I'm an expert at breaking things other people can work on with ease - so I asked my dealer to quote for one, but the official brand new switch panel is almost £500!!

If you're interested, have a look at this thread:

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/192721-mk5-window-switches/?do=findComment&comment=1529672

Great stuff thanks Pete. Taking a look. Limited to what I can tinker with, it being a company car for 3 years. Unless I buy it at their auction price. Colleagues have done this. Got great deals.

I really wished I had the 360 camera. I'm constantly opening the door to look at the parking lines to if I'm perfectly between them then faffing back and forth. That could have been a really useful feature for me.

Long press... I meant the MyT App. Long pressing on the icon on an android or iPhone brings up options that aren't inside the app like lock and unlock doors. But it seems only in North America.  MyT is now not working for me. Was all set up and working. My car was deleted some how. Had it all set up, working great, then opened it up earlier and no car. Couldn't go through the entitlement process as for some reason it just stuck on the verification part where I switch on the car and it does its thing. Will try again tomorrow. That has been frustrating. 

On 9/2/2021 at 10:44 PM, Nick72 said:

Hi Barry, which part?

The missing American bits? Or the industrial age stuff? Or the weirdly long charging time? I checked the wall box and it was 3.5hrs total time charging. But someone was just telling me there is a setting in the MID (drivers display) which allows you to select charging current so maybe mine is set too low.

I'm a little paranoid after the French Fiasco of the last car so I'm probably worring about nothing.

To be honest I absolutely prefer working industrial stuff over luxury aesthetics which is ropey garbage (Peugeot).

Hi again.....putting all the techy stuff aside how is the drive ?

I'm a bit of a Luddite & will probably not use most of what's on offer.

However there is other simpler added value's for me.

Like to consider myself a fledgling green pioneer. 

Brownies from younger members of the family.

Both my daughters love the Toyota hybrids.

Not to many PHEV's about which helps engage with others as a talking point.

I'm retired, & live alone in a block of apartments, sure the neighbors will oblige.

Currently taking the lead working up a project to install personal charging points in each parking space.

Seduced by the Toyota PHEV concept, whenever my car is parked down below it will be plugged in.

40/45miles range is ample for my needs, probably never fill up. 

Looking forward to collecting my PHEV soon.......Barry Wright Lancashire.

1884311792_BroadwayImage.thumb.jpg.6c89ce906d193c498d373cc051f1d8b8.jpgIMG_0886.thumb.JPG.4a7d1d9bebed60ceea9c6ea630e17f8b.JPG

• Like 1

@Broadway One, the car drives really well. I’ve had mine since the end of May and have about 3k on the clock. The drive in EV is a real pleasure and if you are able to keep it charged for the majority of you travels with longer holidays using the HEV mode then it’s a good choice. For example I've just got bask fro a usual trip of around 115 miles using the M1 for the best part of 100miles of this trip. At speed limit driving I got 44miles from the EV .and balance at 59mpg. Around the houses I’m getting low 50’s using EV. It charges overnight from a mains plug and I use either in car settings or the MyT app setting to set the charge to end when I want to use the car, the car then sorts out when to start the charge.  It’s easy to set the car to precondition the cabin to a required temperature and defrost the rear and front windows this uses the house power and not the cars power. A heavy car but a joy to drive and feels positive and comfortable to drive.

Im also retired and whilst it may not make sense from an economical point of view when compared to the hybrid only version you do have the warm fuzzy feeling that you using much less fuel! 😊  For me the car is a keeper.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Broadway One said:

Hi again.....putting all the techy stuff aside how is the drive ?

I'm a bit of a Luddite & will probably not use most of what's on offer.

However there is other simpler added value's for me.

Like to consider myself a fledgling green pioneer. 

Brownies from younger members of the family.

Both my daughters love the Toyota hybrids.

Not to many PHEV's about which helps engage with others as a talking point.

I'm retired, & live alone in a block of apartments, sure the neighbors will oblige.

Currently taking the lead working up a project to install personal charging points in each parking space.

Seduced by the Toyota PHEV concept, whenever my car is parked down below it will be plugged in.

40/45miles range is ample for my needs, probably never fill up. 

Looking forward to collecting my PHEV soon.......Barry Wright Lancashire.

1884311792_BroadwayImage.thumb.jpg.6c89ce906d193c498d373cc051f1d8b8.jpgIMG_0886.thumb.JPG.4a7d1d9bebed60ceea9c6ea630e17f8b.JPG

It drives very well as Ernie mentions. Very smooth drive in EV and in hybrid mode. Most of the time I can't tell the difference which mode it is in unless accelerating harder than normal. Even then it's quite civilised. Off the mark 0 to about 40mph is faster than any other car I've ever driven by a long chalk and I've hardly pressed the accelerator and I'm in normal mode. I don't of any SUVs that could top that except for maybe a Model X at twice the price or a Volvo XC40 EV (smaller car).

Handling is much better than I had imagined. Good for an SUV of this size. Not too soft or too hard so pot holes on B roads don't cause too much of an issue.

Steering feels a little numb but that's not unusual and I can live with that.

As Ernie says the economy is great. Much better than the published figures. I've not done enough miles to reach conclusions but over 50 miles in EV should be readily attainable in mixed driving and 45 to 50mpg too. 

It is a masterpiece of mechanical and electrical (power) engineering. The tech is ten years behind the times but it works and probably will do for another 20 years and 200,000 miles.

I just need the app to be working again and I'll be happy.

• Like 2

Hi........... pleased & relieved at the positives associated with drivability.

Big thanks for the feedback.

Agree the tech has always been dated & clunky.

Hence the reluctance to engage with my current RAV hybrid.

But the ease of driving particularly in traffic is a joy.

The smoothness of moving off & braking surpasses other high end family vehicles I have the opportunity to drive. 

Finally, Toyota hit the sweet spot with the size of the RAV 4 IMO.

Dealer making noises re early delivery.....interesting times ahead.

Barry Lancashire.  

• Like 2

On 9/3/2021 at 10:42 PM, Nick72 said:

Great stuff thanks Pete. Taking a look. Limited to what I can tinker with, it being a company car for 3 years. Unless I buy it at their auction price. Colleagues have done this. Got great deals.

I really wished I had the 360 camera. I'm constantly opening the door to look at the parking lines to if I'm perfectly between them then faffing back and forth. That could have been a really useful feature for me.

Long press... I meant the MyT App. Long pressing on the icon on an android or iPhone brings up options that aren't inside the app like lock and unlock doors. But it seems only in North America.  MyT is now not working for me. Was all set up and working. My car was deleted some how. Had it all set up, working great, then opened it up earlier and no car. Couldn't go through the entitlement process as for some reason it just stuck on the verification part where I switch on the car and it does its thing. Will try again tomorrow. That has been frustrating. 

I had exactly the same with car being deleted soon after I got it all set up. I'd assume I'd inadvertently done something stupid, but now I see the same happened to you, so perhaps not (unless we're both as stupid as each other 😉 )

• Like 1

On 9/4/2021 at 8:54 PM, ernieb said:

@Broadway One, the car drives really well. I’ve had mine since the end of May and have about 3k on the clock. The drive in EV is a real pleasure and if you are able to keep it charged for the majority of you travels with longer holidays using the HEV mode then it’s a good choice. For example I've just got bask fro a usual trip of around 115 miles using the M1 for the best part of 100miles of this trip. At speed limit driving I got 44miles from the EV .and balance at 59mpg. Around the houses I’m getting low 50’s using EV. It charges overnight from a mains plug and I use either in car settings or the MyT app setting to set the charge to end when I want to use the car, the car then sorts out when to start the charge.  It’s easy to set the car to precondition the cabin to a required temperature and defrost the rear and front windows this uses the house power and not the cars power. A heavy car but a joy to drive and feels positive and comfortable to drive.

Im also retired and whilst it may not make sense from an economical point of view when compared to the hybrid only version you do have the warm fuzzy feeling that you using much less fuel! 😊  For me the car is a keeper.

Yes, I'm enjoying the drive more than I thought I would. I came from a Skoda Kodiaq, and was thinking it might be a downgrade in ride quality. Actually, finding it a little better if anything - especially in EV mode, the smooth & quiet ride is lovely. Handles corners and bumps nicely. Only thing I've noticed is when braking as approaching a junction, if I hit a pot hole or something, it really confuses the brakes - I guess it's a combination of regen braking/ABS/friction brakes all having a bit of a panic and blaming each other & trying to figure out what to do - it feels as if all the brakes ease off for a fraction of a second before they regain composure. A similar effect to that I've experienced in other cars with ABS, but is seems more pronounced here, maybe it's just the mass of the car?

How do you see the mpg for the petrol engine only - the figures I get from the car just show mpg based on entire journey (eg. including EV segments), so it requires some manual calculation to get the actual mpg from the HV mode segments. Is there anyway to get this information directly?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spicyhotone said:

...if I hit a pot hole or something, it really confuses the brakes - I guess it's a combination of regen braking/ABS/friction brakes all having a bit of a panic and blaming each other & trying to figure out what to do - it feels as if all the brakes ease off for a fraction of a second before they regain composure. A similar effect to that I've experienced in other cars with ABS...

Yes, I've experienced this a lot in earlier cars with ABS.  Where I used to live before I came to the Norfolk coast, there was a shiny man-hole cover a few metres before the entrance to the Close that my house was in, and whenever it was wet the ABS would trigger no matter how gently I braked (because of the relative position of the cover and the entrance it was hard to avoid).  I got into the habit of rapidly coming off the brakes and back on.  I still do that in Hybrids whenever something triggers the brakes the same way.  As I lived there for 21 years, the habit became quite ingrained.

And you're right, if the ABS (or traction control for that matter) triggers, it cancels regen braking and switches to the friction brakes, another reason that I like to recycle the braking - I hate wearing out my discs and pads when I can use the electric motors (both ends in the AWD models) and recover some free energy as well.

It is, as you say, just a fraction of a second but can feel much longer, especially if the reason that you're braking is that something is in the way!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, spicyhotone said:

I had exactly the same with car being deleted soon after I got it all set up. I'd assume I'd inadvertently done something stupid, but now I see the same happened to you, so perhaps not (unless we're both as stupid as each other 😉 )

Phew. In which it sounds fixable. I tried early and I now get a different message when I try the connect car. It now says processing pleasecwait 24 hours. Looks like they restarted the process. That will be Friday PMs job repeating last Thursdays job. 😉

7 hours ago, PeteB said:

Yes, I've experienced this a lot in earlier cars with ABS.  Where I used to live before I came to the Norfolk coast, there was a shiny man-hole cover a few metres before the entrance to the Close that my house was in, and whenever it was wet the ABS would trigger no matter how gently I braked (because of the relative position of the cover and the entrance it was hard to avoid).  I got into the habit of rapidly coming off the brakes and back on.  I still do that in Hybrids whenever something triggers the brakes the same way.  As I lived there for 21 years, the habit became quite ingrained.

Yeah me too - A few times beforehand I nearly crashed into the back of someone because of the ABS kicking in; I never realised how much less braking force you have available when the ABS kicks in until those few times! Scary!!

Now I try to release the brake a bit when going over anything potentially slippery (Manhole covers, grates, cattle grids, dirt, gravel etc.) before re-engaging to try and avoid triggering the ABS in the first place!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links