Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

E12 Corolla 1.4 VVTi to 1.8 VVTLi Difficulty

SteveEire

Hello all,

Proud owner of a T2 2004 Corolla 1.4 VVTi here.

While the car does have 170,000 miles, you can pull the dipstick at any stage and the oil remains golden brown. Such a good little engine that has stood the test of time. Only gripe I have is I wish it had more power.

This has me motivated to do an engine swap to something a bit more fun, such as the 192hp VVTLi out of the Celica/Corolla T-Sport.

I'm wondering how difficult it would be in terms of wiring, hub/drive differences, suspension/brake requirements and so on. 

I would massively appreciate some info from lads who have done this swap as to what is needed and the difficulty involved. 

Thanks a million.

Steve.

• 3 weeks later...

Might be easier just to get a T Sport complete to be honest. Part prices in total and time will equal to the price of a whole car.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 9/2/2021 at 10:10 PM, SteveEire said:

Hello all,

Proud owner of a T2 2004 Corolla 1.4 VVTi here.

While the car does have 170,000 miles, you can pull the dipstick at any stage and the oil remains golden brown. Such a good little engine that has stood the test of time. Only gripe I have is I wish it had more power.

This has me motivated to do an engine swap to something a bit more fun, such as the 192hp VVTLi out of the Celica/Corolla T-Sport.

I'm wondering how difficult it would be in terms of wiring, hub/drive differences, suspension/brake requirements and so on. 

I would massively appreciate some info from lads who have done this swap as to what is needed and the difficulty involved. 

Thanks a million.

Steve.

Well Steve,

I'm doing the same conversion as you. I started this project without doing any research , which was a big mistake. My engine bolted in no problem and all that but the car wont start . I have no spark and no fuel pump but the car will turn over all day but wont start. I have the ECU for the engine and I have the wiring loom along with the key and the ring around the ignition barrel. I've been told that I need the full interior wiring loom and dash clocks too. Can you tell me if that's the case or not, any help would be greatly appreciated as I am very stuck. 

Thanks Sean

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/20/2022 at 4:30 PM, Sean meath said:

Well Steve,

I'm doing the same conversion as you. I started this project without doing any research , which was a big mistake. My engine bolted in no problem and all that but the car wont start . I have no spark and no fuel pump but the car will turn over all day but wont start. I have the ECU for the engine and I have the wiring loom along with the key and the ring around the ignition barrel. I've been told that I need the full interior wiring loom and dash clocks too. Can you tell me if that's the case or not, any help would be greatly appreciated as I am very stuck. 

Thanks Sean

Ever get it going? I am looking to do a swap, if possible to EV or hybrid, on a Corolla.

9 hours ago, arousa said:

Ever get it going? I am looking to do a swap, if possible to EV or hybrid, on a Corolla.

No still haven't got it going yet and its wrecking my head because its so hard to get any info on it. Have you anymore info on it?

• 4 months later...
On 8/17/2022 at 12:01 PM, Sean meath said:

No still haven't got it going yet and its wrecking my head because its so hard to get any info on it. Have you anymore info on it?

Did you have to change much to fit or change gearbox I wanna do same swap on my 1.4 some time before the summer and didyou figure out why it won't run

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links