Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Interference or Non-Interference.

Marco2021

Hi,

I own an Auris 2009 1.6 Petrol Valvematic TR. I have been looking online trying to find if the engine is an interference or non interference type and couldn't find anything. Does anyone know what type this would be? Thanks!

Virtually all Toyota engines are interference - It's hard to make a super efficient engine without it being interference sadly!

That does not really matter since the engines, even diesel are chain driven. So if you keep up with regular oil changes, you would never have to touch the timing.

• Like 2

95% of cars built in the last 15-20 years are interference engines (12, 16, 24 valve) - timing chains dont let go like a belt does, you usually get chain slap or death rattle, eml or limp mode before it does let go

If you hydro lock an engine, it will snap a chain

• Like 1

Yup, as long as you do regular oil changes (Even consider 6000-mile oil changes instead of annual ones in older cars!), and as long as it isn't french or a BMW, the chain should last the life of the car :biggrin: 

I would do 6k mile changes even in a new car. I recently had mine replaced at some 7.5k miles, instead of 6k, even though on dipstick it had good colour, did not look that burned, and was oily, it looked way worse when drained out into a pan.

Couple liters of oil and a filter are not that expensive to cheap out on.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links