Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Owning an Older Camry in the UK

ToyotaJonP

Hello everyone,

My first post here. I’m looking at replacing my current car with something a bit more reliable. I want it to be cheap, but with respectable enough performance and good reliability.

A few older Camrys from the early 2000s seem to fit the bill. The only trouble is as they’re so rare in the UK, I was wondering if owning one is going to be difficult when it goes wrong (which, if their reliability record is anything to go by, shouldn’t be a daily occurrence!)

Will getting parts from Toyota be ok, or will I likely be waiting weeks for something like a shock absorber or wheel bearing and have to pay a fortune for it? Would I be better going with the more-common and less executive Avensis?

I’d be interested in hearing people’s thoughts and experience, thanks!

• 5 months later...

Hello. I'm replying to this a little late (I rarely come on here). If you can find a nice one, an older Camry is a great car. There's a reason it's been a best seller in the US for so many years. They are rare here because people in the UK like their "prestige" badges (especially German or Swedish) on larger cars. The Camry was expensive here - equivalently priced to similarly sized Volvos, BMWs etc - and did not sell as a result. Most people chose less well-made but more fashionable marques in preference to it. More fool them. Toyota quietly stopped selling it here in the early 2000s and only re-launched it relatively recently (to expected comments from the wallies in the motoring press- "well made, reliable, safe but boring", etc).

I have friends in the US who love their Camrys and looked long and hard for one. Between 2 and 3 years ago, I found a 2003, 2.4 manual, being sold by a retired engineer. Came with fsh and a little over 75k miles on it (nothing for a Camry). Immaculate bodywork, with all the toys - leather, wood, aircon, etc, etc. I bought it for a good price because the exhaust was a bit tired and it needed tyres. I had the exhaust replaced with a full stainless system, including a new cat and 02 sensor. The emissions figures are outstanding. My mechanic reckons it's now as good as a new car with a similar sized engine. Easily ULEZ compliant. Many cars of its age aren't. Apart from that, has just needed tyres and servicing.

Although Camrys are rare here (just 30 of my model on the road according to the How Many Left? website), I've not found the few parts I've needed an issue. Toyota, being a sensible manufacturer, uses a lot of common parts across models and many parts from the Estima, Rav4 and Avensis fit the Camry (barring body  and trim stuff, obviously). Toyota will get parts for you quickly if you need them. They're not cheap, but you shouldn't need that many. I change the oil and filter every 5k miles (something I've done on every car I've owned). Costs around £40 if you do it yourself. Oil is cheap, engines are expensive.

I've put 25k miles on it so far and it's been faultless. I average 38mpg and I'm in London, so that includes a fair bit of city driving. On a run, it's easily 40 plus. It's comfortable, very spacious (massive boot) and pleasant to travel in. As you can probably gather, I love it. I'm 70 next year and reckon that, if I look after it and manage not to prang it, it could see me out. In the US, they reckon you can get 300k miles out of a Camry if you take care of it.

• Like 1

Another UK Camry owner here. Between the main dealer, eBay and RockAuto I've been able to get everything I've needed.

However, my Camry has just been written off (January). I'm arguing with the insurance about the category of write-off, because I want to be able to buy it back. If I can then there will be a LOT of very good parts coming up for sale!