Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Auris Hybrid 2015 Towbar

Mike-Auris

I would like to put a towbar on my car so I can attach a cycle rack. I have checked with a few towbar fitters and they say that it is not possible to fit a Towbar on a Hybrid car as the towing limit is zero - the VIN shows a weigh of 1815 kg with the following number also being 1815.

However, I contacted my local dealer and they gave me a price Bracket £258, Electrics £300, Towbar £327 so in total £885. I specified that it was a Hybrid but I think that this is the price for a standard Auris. 

Does anyone know about this?

Hatchback or Touring sport?

On 9/3/2021 at 3:15 PM, Mike-Auris said:

I would like to put a towbar on my car so I can attach a cycle rack. I have checked with a few towbar fitters and they say that it is not possible to fit a Towbar on a Hybrid car as the towing limit is zero - the VIN shows a weigh of 1815 kg with the following number also being 1815.

However, I contacted my local dealer and they gave me a price Bracket £258, Electrics £300, Towbar £327 so in total £885. I specified that it was a Hybrid but I think that this is the price for a standard Auris. 

Does anyone know about this?

A couple of posts in these threads might help you.  (Particularly if your car has reversing sensors.)  As you suspect, the hybrid engines are not designed to tow trailers or caravans, and fitting a tow bar will ring alarm bells even though you just want to carry bikes.

Towing on the back is better for wind drag issue. You can tow it for maximal additional 375 kg. Your 4 bikes are not that heavy.  I load 4 winter tires with wheel and the rear end really sinks. Not sure how muc weight in total but probably 100 kg + in the trunk.  So, do not add additional load if you bring too much bikes.