Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake Hold

Roy124

Following deviation on a different topic, Brake Hold.

Why do we keep having to select it?

Do the brake lights stay on?

Yes, the brake lights do stay on.

Before answering the first question, you can't select Brake Hold until your seat belt is fastened.  A second feature is you cannot drive the car with Brake Hold selected if you undo your seat belt.  It follows therefore that Brake Hold is linked directly to your seat be it process.

I haven't checked to see if there is also a bums-on-seat check too.

Assuming that:

You started the car, fastened your seat belt, put the car in Drive, applied Brake Hold, then unfastened your seat belt and get out of the car:

What happens?

What are the risks?  Your car is in Drive and dependent on Brake Hold.

What problem would automatic brake hold cause?

Yes, it's annoying that we have to keep turning it on when the car starts. Yes it puts the brake lights on.

If you get out the car remains on brake hold.

Beyond that it's a mystery. There was a similar mystery with my Honda Jazz but that's another story.

Speaking for myself, I like an automatic to crawl forward as soon as I release the brake pedal. That's just what I'm used to and I like being able to edge forward in a queue without dancing between pedals. I would hate it if the car defaulted to holding itself stationary every time.

• Like 3

I really don't like auto hold so I would not want it always on. 

What would be cool would be to be able to set wether it remembers or not.

I like auto creep too but I am aware that ours is an artificial one so again, it would be cool to be able to set it on or off.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Following deviation on a different topic, Brake Hold.

Why do we keep having to select it?

Do the brake lights stay on?

Yes, the brake lights do stay on.

Before answering the first question, you can't select Brake Hold until your seat belt is fastened.  A second feature is you cannot drive the car with Brake Hold selected if you undo your seat belt.  It follows therefore that Brake Hold is linked directly to your seat be it process.

I haven't checked to see if there is also a bums-on-seat check too.

Assuming that:

You started the car, fastened your seat belt, put the car in Drive, applied Brake Hold, then unfastened your seat belt and get out of the car:

What happens?

What are the risks?  Your car is in Drive and dependent on Brake Hold.

What problem would automatic brake hold cause?

If you undo your seatbelt with the car held on the brake hold, the full parking brake is automatically applied.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RabButler said:

If you undo your seatbelt with the car held on the brake hold, the full parking brake is automatically applied.

And will not release until you strap on again. 

Regarding creep without auto hold function you can achieve that with ACC.  If you allow the car to come to  a stop or crawl with ACC it was creep forward itself. 

Having stopped for X seconds it ceases automatic creep and advises a press of the CC button (RES) or a dab of the brakes. 

Unlike cars of an earlier period the Toyota, as evidenced by different opinions in this forum, offers more than one way to drive the car. 

• Like 1

Creeping is useful in all kinds of situations. For example, it's wonderful at blind junctions when you need to stick your nose out very slowly & gingerly until you get the view.  Much better than a manual, where one foot would be jiggling up and down while the other dances between pedals.

But I take the point - this was always a characteristic rather than a feature with traditional autos. Now, we have the choice! 😁

• Like 1

To be honest I've never used the brake hold function, I always use brake and creep. The brake hold function is kind of redundant to me!

• Like 1

I don't have a problem with creep v brake hold. Brake hold only takes effect if you firmly depress the brake pedal. It's entirely possible to hold the car stationary without activating brake hold. It's the same with mild hybrids - you have to use a certain amount of force in order to cause the engine to switch off.

Maybe people just need to learn how to operate the pedal properly 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Interesting.  Do you feel anything in the pedal to indicate the travel needed?

My Focus could control the stopstart from the pedal, but you felt a small click at the point it would be activated.

I agree entirely with Andrew. A few practices of pressing the brake pedal while watching for the ‘hold’ light and you soon learn how hard to press it. 

6 hours ago, Yugguy1970 said:

Interesting.  Do you feel anything in the pedal to indicate the travel needed?

My Focus could control the stopstart from the pedal, but you felt a small click at the point it would be activated.

I don't feel anything but I think it's a case of braking gently until the ICE (or more commonly the EV) just runs out of power. I was being a bit flippant because it's really not obvious what the pressure is.

On 9/3/2021 at 9:14 PM, Roy124 said:

And will not release until you strap on again. 

No. Put foot on brake pedal and press down on parking brake switch. Then drive normally until the seat belt nanny alert starts.