Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auto or Manual ? New car purchase..

rich146

@rich146, there are too many people commenting here that are praising the Yaris, Auris and Corolla autos which are completely different to the Aygo version, please ignore them.

The Aygo manual gearbox is a delight and the clutch light enough to spend hours in traffic without leg ache.

However if you have big feet you may find the pedal box a little cramped, but then again it IS a small city car.

I don't know what @Roy124 is talking about with ACC, but if he means cruise control, then that IS NOT available on the Aygo, all it has is a speed limiter which means you need to keep your foot planted on the GO pedal to maintain a speed, if you lift off it slows down normally.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, martswain said:

@rich146, there are too many people commenting here that are praising the Yaris, Auris and Corolla autos which are completely different to the Aygo version, please ignore them.

The Aygo manual gearbox is a delight and the clutch light enough to spend hours in traffic without leg ache.

However if you have big feet you may find the pedal box a little cramped, but then again it IS a small city car.

I don't know what @Roy124 is talking about with ACC, but if he means cruise control, then that IS NOT available on the Aygo, all it has is a speed limiter which means you need to keep your foot planted on the GO pedal to maintain a speed, if you lift off it slows down normally.

Ive done some parkers used valuations and it seems the Auto residual is high. £500 option from new (discounted) , over a grand difference from manual at 3 years old. Its worth getting the auto as an investment in a strange way?

I've passed my test automatic only 14 years ago, so I had a Jazz with CVT transmission, then went to a Yaris with the old MMT transmission, and between that had a courtesy Polo with a DSG auto box. Right now, I would prefer a DSG auto gear box if I could afford it, however if I was you, I'd go for the Yaris hybrid with the CVT gearbox. I have an auto 2020 Aygo at the moment and I have got used to it, but its not everyone's cup of tea.

• Like 2

@rich146 with a brand new Aygo coming next year, who knows where residuals will go.

I have used the same Toyota dealer for over 16 years and always seek the advice of the senior technician as part of the buying process, he as been there all that time, when I mentioned "Aygo auto" I got very negative feedback.

I was downsizing from a Yaris GRMN and he said I wouldn't enjoy it and that he sees far too many in the workshop compared to the manual version.

He was correct, I did not like it, so I bought a manual that they had in stock, with a decent discount and 0% PCP with a £500 Toyota finance contribution.

I was lucky they had the car I wanted in stock in March this year.

I drove a manual C1 (Citroen badged Aygo) for 10 years and thoroughly enjoyed it, when the Toyota scrappage deal came up in 2020 I decided it was time to change, and having always wanted a car with paddle shifters decided to go for an MMT Aygo having tried it.

I agree an MMT Aygo won't be to everyones liking as you don't have the same complete control as a manual, but for me (as I'm getting older) I enjoy the MMT much more often than I think "why did it do that?" so for me it was the right choice (but probably wouldn't have been many years ago).

• Like 1

Anyone looking for an automatic small car there is no better one than Yaris hybrid because of the drive train, no other cvt, dsg or mmt come close to driving experience, efficiency or reliability. Aygo mmt as investment not the best idea, residual value might be higher but you need to include a new clutch replacement plus the trouble that can cause during the ownership. If the initial purchase price of aygo mmt is around £15k you will be better off buying a previous generation Yaris hybrid from 2019-2020, both as driving experience and investment. Best to decide manual or auto, then aygo vs Yaris and test drive both examples. Good luck 👍

I,ve just got the wife an Auto with flappy paddles and it,s really fun to drive.I always override the auto and use it as a manual with no clutch.I find if its in auto mode it gets confused sometimes haha so i just use the paddles to correct it.Not as good a gearbox like in my Lexus but still fun.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Anyone looking for an automatic small car there is no better one than Yaris hybrid because of the drive train, no other cvt, dsg or mmt come close to driving experience, efficiency or reliability. Aygo mmt as investment not the best idea, residual value might be higher but you need to include a new clutch replacement plus the trouble that can cause during the ownership. If the initial purchase price of aygo mmt is around £15k you will be better off buying a previous generation Yaris hybrid from 2019-2020, both as driving experience and investment. Best to decide manual or auto, then aygo vs Yaris and test drive both examples. Good luck 👍

But I want an Aygo not Yaris ? No, the initial price of a top level brand new Aygo with extras only £13k. Cant get anywhere near that with a basic Yaris

• Like 1

On 9/10/2021 at 8:45 AM, PetrolDave said:

I drove a manual C1 (Citroen badged Aygo) for 10 years and thoroughly enjoyed it, when the Toyota scrappage deal came up in 2020 I decided it was time to change, and having always wanted a car with paddle shifters decided to go for an MMT Aygo having tried it.

I agree an MMT Aygo won't be to everyones liking as you don't have the same complete control as a manual, but for me (as I'm getting older) I enjoy the MMT much more often than I think "why did it do that?" so for me it was the right choice (but probably wouldn't have been many years ago).

Im in the same boat. I just want a vehicle with good economy, reliability , good residuals and getting me from A to B in relative comfort (for the class). The Auto residuals seem higher than the manual, looking on auto trader. Probably worth doing especially if im only keeping the car for a few years

The top of the range x-clusiv with an auto box is £16,395.

Do tell where you can think you can get one for £13,000 with "extras" !

On 9/10/2021 at 8:20 AM, martswain said:

@rich146 with a brand new Aygo coming next year, who knows where residuals will go.

I have used the same Toyota dealer for over 16 years and always seek the advice of the senior technician as part of the buying process, he as been there all that time, when I mentioned "Aygo auto" I got very negative feedback.

I was downsizing from a Yaris GRMN and he said I wouldn't enjoy it and that he sees far too many in the workshop compared to the manual version.

He was correct, I did not like it, so I bought a manual that they had in stock, with a decent discount and 0% PCP with a £500 Toyota finance contribution.

I was lucky they had the car I wanted in stock in March this year.

Thats good info to bare in mind although why are residuals better with the auto if its so troublesome ?  Cheers

31 minutes ago, martswain said:

The top of the range x-clusiv with an auto box is £16,395.

Do tell where you can think you can get one for £13,000 with "extras" !

Its true and why would I lie ?? Just under £17k on the Toyota website with accessories to be precise. Dont forget (as mentioned) , new model coming out shortly so this will impact discounts.  

If you can get one that cheap go for it.

However, if it is a stock car and in x-clusiv trim, make sure it is the latest spec with the full leather interior and stop-start on the manual version if you decide on 3 pedals.

Yes its a factory order . Annoyingly id like to see the Black/scarlet flare roof variant in the metal or even a photo but only seen the Scarlet Flare/black roof variant, so far only photo. 

Have found this though but not sure if its the Scarlet Flare 

Im just seeing if my local Dealer will match or do better but they want to book me in to speak to a "consultant" rather than responding with simple yes or no over the phone. Obviously I want to order asap before the offer expires which could be anytime. Its probably based on dealer targets/numbers

Ill spill the beans for anyone whom maybe interested once Ive secured my order. It works out around 23% discount across the Aygo range which I think is a steal.

1 hour ago, martswain said:

If you can get one that cheap go for it.

However, if it is a stock car and in x-clusiv trim, make sure it is the latest spec with the full leather interior and stop-start on the manual version if you decide on 3 pedals.

Is that why the auto isnt as fuel efficient because it doesnt have stop start? Not to have stop start is a good enough reason to choose the X-shift imo.

Have you considered other cars?

Never been a huge fan of the Aygo - I think the VW Up! and especially the Hyundai i10 to be better cars - They get more kit, and are nicer to drive (tho' still gutless unless you get the turbocharged Up! GTI or i10N, but with a 1L engine as standard this is to be expected...!)

Hyundai generally seem to have better customer service than Toyota at the moment too.

9 hours ago, Cyker said:

Never been a huge fan of the Aygo - I think the VW Up! and especially the Hyundai i10 to be better cars - They get more kit, and are nicer to drive (tho' still gutless unless you get the turbocharged Up! GTI or i10N, but with a 1L engine as standard this is to be expected...!)

Hyundai generally seem to have better customer service than Toyota at the moment too.

Never considered others cars no.

I did have a Citigo Sport (same as the Up) and that was a great little car and very economical but sadly Skoda have stopped production of them now.

IMG_1783.jpg

IMG_1785.jpg

On 9/11/2021 at 8:15 PM, Cyker said:

Personally, I'm never been a fan of German Cars:

1. Over-engineered and filled the car with unnecessary modules.

2. Over use of plastic in Engine bay

3. Required a number of special tools to work on them.

4. Expensive maintenance cost.

As they age, they are usually a money pit.  E.g: more modules to replace, crack plastic on engine components etc.

VW in particular usually have broken door handles and broken electrical wires going into doors.  And if you don't know about the broken wires, it can cost you a lot of money if you take it to a greedy garage.

Hyundai i10 is driven by a friend of mine.  Fuel consumption is the biggest problem on his 2014 1.2 automatic, with MPG between 30 to 35 in Urban driving (Compared to mine 58-60).  The works I've carried out on his car:

1. Replace the car Battery at 2019 (yes, just 4-5 year since it has been on the road).

2. Windows doesn't roll up properly - Lubricate the window seal with silicone grease.

3. Melted cigarette socket - could be his fault as he was using some Chinese heated seat.

4. Replace Auxiliary Drive Belt - at 60K not only the belt is all cracked up, It turn itself from a 5PK1236 to a 4PK1236 (inner rib just disintegrated).  The belt is a stretch fit in the MK2.  Unlike MK1 where the alternator acts as a Tensioner. 

5. New brake pads every year.  Disc every 2 year.

Over-all is not that bad.  Sure there is a bit of quality issue here and there, but not too expensive to fix.  But the low MPG figure is definitely a concern for some people.  Even the manual 1.0 version, we are looking at 40-50 in Urban, 50 to 60 in Highway.

Almost forgot:  The biggest issue was stripped thread on a brake caliper pin.  Some idiot works in the Hyundai dealership use an impact to tighten the caliper pin bolt and completely strips the thread.  Took us a bit of work to find a pin for that caliper since the only option at the dealer was to replace the entire thing.  (Both pins on the driver side.  Passenger side was close to stripping, but lucky it didn't).

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Vandals01 said:

Personally, I'm never been a fan of German Cars:

1. Over-engineered and filled the car with unnecessary modules.

2. Over use of plastic in Engine bay

3. Required a number of special tools to work on them.

4. Expensive maintenance cost.

As they age, they are usually a money pit.  E.g: more modules to replace, crack plastic on engine components etc.

VW in particular usually have broken door handles and broken electrical wires going into doors.  And if you don't know about the broken wires, it can cost you a lot of money if you take it to a greedy garage.

Hyundai i10 is driven by a friend of mine.  Fuel consumption is the biggest problem on his 2014 1.2 automatic, with MPG between 30 to 35 in Urban driving (Compared to mine 58-60).  The works I've carried out on his car:

1. Replace the car battery at 2019 (yes, just 4-5 year since it has been on the road).

2. Windows doesn't roll up properly - Lubricate the window seal with silicone grease.

3. Melted cigarette socket - could be his fault as he was using some Chinese heated seat.

4. Replace Auxiliary Drive Belt - at 60K not only the belt is all cracked up, It turn itself from a 5PK1236 to a 4PK1236 (inner rib just disintegrated).  The belt is a stretch fit in the MK2.  Unlike MK1 where the alternator acts as a Tensioner. 

5. New brake pads every year.  Disc every 2 year.

Over-all is not that bad.  Sure there is a bit of quality issue here and there, but not too expensive to fix.  But the low MPG figure is definitely a concern for some people.  Even the manual 1.0 version, we are looking at 40-50 in Urban, 50 to 60 in Highway.

Almost forgot:  The biggest issue was stripped thread on a brake caliper pin.  Some idiot works in the Hyundai dealership use an impact to tighten the caliper pin bolt and completely strips the thread.  Took us a bit of work to find a pin for that caliper since the only option at the dealer was to replace the entire thing.  (Both pins on the driver side.  Passenger side was close to stripping, but lucky it didn't).

Couldn’t agree more with you 👍

Small automatics are NO go unless full electric or Toyota hybrids, these two types are the only ones that doesn’t cause issues and drives the best. Small German cars like polo or up with 1.0, 1.2 3 cylinder non tsi engines of found used are ok with manual transmission 😉 drive the deal currently has an offer for aygo x trend for only just over £11k and Yaris excel just under £20k these are good deals IMO 👌

4 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Couldn’t agree more with you 👍

Small automatics are NO go unless full electric or Toyota hybrids, these two types are the only ones that doesn’t cause issues and drives the best. Small German cars like polo or up with 1.0, 1.2 3 cylinder non tsi engines of found used are ok with manual transmission 😉 drive the deal currently has an offer for aygo x trend for only just over £11k and Yaris excel just under £20k these are good deals IMO 👌

Yes, ive just ordered the X-Clusiv in auto and all the extras available for £13k. Thats almost a £4k/23% saving. Toyota are also doing 0% PCP for up to 4 years. Win win if you ask me! Being under warranty for the next 5 years im not concerned about the auto box option. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, martswain said:

@rich146 the Toyota manufacturer warranty is now 3 years and extends year by year with every annual service at a Toyota dealer up to 10 years or 100,00 miles, whichever comes first.

https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/warranty/toyota-warranty

Ah yes, thanks for that 

56 minutes ago, rich146 said:

Yes, ive just ordered the X-Clusiv in auto and all the extras available for £13k. Thats almost a £4k/23% saving. Toyota are also doing 0% PCP for up to 4 years. Win win if you ask me! Being under warranty for the next 5 years im not concerned about the auto box option. 

Good 👍

enjoy your new car 😊👍

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rich146 said:

Thats great enjoy it.They are a great little car.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links