Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wonky HUD rotation

Nick72

Loving the HUD but I noticed it is slightly wonky. Needs rotating by a few degrees clockwise. 

So I used the settings option and rotation but it is already at it's most clockwise rotation. It will rotate anti clockwise to make matters worse but it is at the clockwise limit.

Any ideas? Wonky installation? 

For... RAV4 PHEV 

Edited by Nick72
Forgot to say what car

Loosen off the screws and manually move it, you may get a slight distortion if the windscreen isn't clean

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Loosen off the screws and manually move it, you may get a slight distortion if the windscreen isn't clean

Last resort option I guess. Thanks. 

Although I'll probably insist the dealer sorts it. Sounds like it might be screwed down too tight on the LHS so it has rotated anti clockwise by a little too much.

Going to try a different height and seat position then try the rotation in case there is an issue with rotation being a function of the height set. I have it set high because I'm tall and my view then needs the HUD to be set high. But I haven't tried lowering my seat to then enable me to lower the HUD. Weekend job along with fixing the washing machine. 

Nick, get the priorities right, washing machine first, she who must be a obeyed etc., 😊

I’d certainly get the seat position correct before final tweaking. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ernieb said:

Nick, get the priorities right, washing machine first, she who must be a obeyed etc., 😊

I’d certainly get the seat position correct before final tweaking. 

This is true Ernie. She has wanted a new washing machine for 20 years but I keep fixing it. New microswitch, solenoid inlet valves, new door assembly, etc. Why buy new when you fix for 30 quid. It's probably just a 5p piece blocking the drain pipe. Impeller is clear. Best sort that first as you say. Then seat, then HUD.

Just a bit of intel for owners with HUDs - hopefully not to be needed, but store it away just in case:

If you ever need your windscreen replaced, and assuming it's like the one in the Prius, there is a specific screen that works with the HUD.  There's something special about the part of the glass that the HUD shines onto, although it's not visible to the naked eye.

At least two Prius owners that I can recall had their screen replaced by a firm that used a 3rd party screen.  In one case, the HUD display was too small and blurred to be usable, the other had ripples on it making it hard to read quickly.  The later owner had the screen replaced 3 times and still wasn't happy.

When I had mine done the my Insurer (at the time) used Autoglass, and I was very nervous about it.  However, I had to go to one of their depots so that they could recalibrate the Safety Sense camera and sensors and I have to say I was most impressed.  The technician knew all about the Toyota HUD and confirmed they used a Toyota branded screen that was the right one for the HUD.  They also had no trouble doing the calibration, and he even refitted my Dashcam.

But if you're unlucky to need a screen, make sure you tell the glass company it needs to work with a HUD.

PS - I asked my service manager how much they would charge to supply a new screen and do the calibration, and it was over £600!  If I didn't use my insurer's preferred provider, they would only have reimbursed £150.  As A RAV4 screen is bigger than the Prius, and also in some cases has a heater element for the Wiper Blades, I expect it would be even more.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, PeteB said:

Just a bit of intel for owners with HUDs - hopefully not to be needed, but store it away just in case:

If you ever need your windscreen replaced, and assuming it's like the one in the Prius, there is a specific screen that works with the HUD.  There's something special about the part of the glass that the HUD shines onto, although it's not visible to the naked eye.

At least two Prius owners that I can recall had their screen replaced by a firm that used a 3rd party screen.  In one case, the HUD display was too small and blurred to be usable, the other had ripples on it making it hard to read quickly.  The later owner had the screen replaced 3 times and still wasn't happy.

When I had mine done the my Insurer (at the time) used Autoglass, and I was very nervous about it.  However, I had to go to one of their depots so that they could recalibrate the Safety Sense camera and sensors and I have to say I was most impressed.  The technician knew all about the Toyota HUD and confirmed they used a Toyota branded screen that was the right one for the HUD.  They also had no trouble doing the calibration, and he even refitted my dashcam.

But if you're unlucky to need a screen, make sure you tell the glass company it needs to work with a HUD.

PS - I asked my service manager how much they would charge to supply a new screen and do the calibration, and it was over £600!  If I didn't use my insurer's preferred provider, they would only have reimbursed £150.  As A RAV4 screen is bigger than the Prius, and also in some cases has a heater element for the wiper blades, I expect it would be even more.

That's a great tip, thanks Pete. 

If it ever happens I'll make sure that the right parts and all the necessary recalibration is done. I suspect there is a diffuse reflective coating on the glass where the HUD projects onto.